Thread: JBL 4560 driver advice 2226 or k130?

JBL 4560 driver advice 2226 or k130?

Hello All,

I hope everyone is happy and well.

I would like to ask your advice on a suitable driver for the JBL 4560. I know the 2220 is the original fitment, but these are hard to get in OZ. I have some 2226 drivers or could buy some k130 drivers for them.

Would you prefer the 2226 or k130?

The 4560 will go up to 500/800 Hz and cross to a 2440/1. The bottom end could be covered by two 2245 in b460 type enclosures or Martin Audio Folded bass horns (both up to 100/200 Hz). I think the 2226 might give me a little more LF extension (even though I may not use it in this setup), albeit it 6dB below the horn output. What are you thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

I would suggest you follow JBL's recommendations. You might consider buying some 2220 cores in the states, having them reconed and shipped to you. This has worked well in the past. Do you already have the 4560's?

David

any port in a storm

That cabinet is essentially useless below 100hz ( see the curves ) so the 130 will give you the most output. Save the 2226 for a vented box project to augment the LF.

The 130 and 2220 are very similar in performance and use even though the coils are different ( Al vs CU ). Both are very efficient and light.

The major difference in use is the "producer" vs "reproducer" coloration but in a box like this, linearity is moot.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I would suggest you follow JBL's recommendations. You might consider buying some 2220 cores in the states, having them reconed and shipped to you. This has worked well in the past. Do you already have the 4560's?

David
    Hello David,

How are things going for you?

I Already have the 4560s. The US is a good option I suppose via ebay or Jammin Jersey? - still pondering what to do.

Best
    JA
    Best, Joe Alesi

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    The 130 and 2220 are very similar in performance and use even though the coils are different ( Al vs CU ). Both are very efficient and light.

The major difference in use is the "producer" vs "reproducer" coloration but in a box like this, linearity is moot.

sub
    Thanks Subwoof,

I could use the 2226 in folded bass horns I have. Sounds like I should try the 130 then? As you say, given the box, do you think I will notice much difference?

Thanks in advance

BEst
    JA
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thread Information