Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    You guys are infinitely more patient than I am with this stuff.
    Yea, and much of that patience was in merely trying to maintain status quo, in-spite of the water we were taking on. Eyes wide open, pard'...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    The OT forum was turning into an ugly venue for political discussions where no one wins and no one gives any ground. THere are plenty of websites for that where you can lock antlers with other people, the only difference here was you battled with JBL types and you got to see their speaker posts as well. So the next time someone you argued with in OT posts something audio related, a nasty spat might develop. I won't name anyone, but sniping occurred quite regularly between a few people.

I dropped more than a few opinions there but it needed to go. It is a Lansing heritage site we are on after all.
    Exactly. And even though I must admit, I did enjoy posting in the ot section, it did seem time for it to go.

I voted for us to close the OT section, in spite of the fact that I REALLY LIKED and ENJOYED OT, some of it, anyway. It definitely seems for the betterment of our community.
    scottyj

The irony is that this THREAD has in effect gone off topic and is now reflecting private views the general membership don't even need to know about. It more like a Venting forum than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The irony is that this THREAD has in effect gone off topic and is now reflecting private views the general membership don't even need to know about. It more like a Venting forum than anything else.
    So true.

It more like a Venting forum than anything else.
    It's OK. People want to be heard. That is occurring. And, we are trying to respond to their commentary.

We will indeed move on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I appreciate that.....but where there are issues there are motives and that applies equally to anyone regardless.

What Giskard has said gives context but hightights what is so right and so wrong with what members come here for. ie If you want everything on your own terms set up a Blog. Everyone has an opportunity to be here but you will need to make some compromises and a lot of understanding and tolerance.

Sadly I am not convinced that is the case.

Ian

I appreciate that.....but where there are issues there are motives and that applies equally to anyone regardless.
    And what might those motives be Mr. Freud?

Politics and religion.

Best banned as topics in the interests of harmony and I therefore understand the actions and applaud.

Not too sure about Giskard's rant however. It seems to me you either want to develop a virtual community or provide a historical reference site for JBL. If "the company" wants an historical reference site "on it's own terms", why doesn't it pay for one and run it itself? That way, they won't get pestered by the great unwashed on a daily basis and can get on with the job of building great loudspeakers that no one wants to buy?

Some guys could of course leave their egos at the door on the way in

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Not too sure about Giskard's rant however. It seems to me you either want to develop a virtual community or provide a historical reference site for JBL. If "the company" wants an historical reference site "on it's own terms", why doesn't it pay for one and run it itself? That way, they won't get pestered by the great unwashed on a daily basis and can get on with the job of building great loudspeakers that no one wants to buy?
    Don has already explained how the website came about and what JBL's involvement was with it.

Not real sure what the great unwashed refers to. I have seen that term used a few times before here. It's kind of funny.

On the subject of loudspeakers - it seems the Array Series has been kind of a bust in Japan. While the performance is definitely there, and applauded, they can't get past the visual. In the US and Europe they are doing alot better because they are used for HT and end up being well integrated into the rooms so they're less visually apparent. Rumor is the Array Series will be replaced by a line of direct radiator loudspeakers similar to the Performance Series but at the same price points as the Array Series. All subject to change at any time of course.

Don has already explained how the website came about and what JBL's involvement was with it.
    Sorry Giskard, I missed it, could you possibly explain or point me in the right direction? All I can find is the rules which start...

The intent of this forum is to develop a community of people that share a common interest in the products and legacy associated with James B. Lansing. To that end, it is my intent to foster as wide ranging discussion as possible. There is even a place for non Lansing related discussion - the "Off-Topic" forum.
    Anyway, according to HiFi News review of the Array 1400, they suffer from overt and distracting horn colouration. I'd be interested to know what you think of this opinion - after all is the horn not as used by GT at home?

Obsolete
    Sorry Giskard, I missed it, could you possibly explain or point me in the right direction? All I can find is the rules which start...
    Got it! I see where you're coming from. And I think that is why you haven't seen any changes from him personally.
    Anyway, according to HiFi News review of the Array 1400, they suffer from overt and distracting horn colouration. I'd be interested to know what you think of this opinion - after all is the horn not as used by GT at home?
    No, Greg uses the same horn you and I use, albeit slightly modified with bondo to attach the 045, which he has since stopped using. Do you find that your horns suffer from overt and distracting horn colourations?

I have no idea who the reviewers are or what their backgrounds are so I can't really comment on their opinions. I do know that Greg finds some reviews amusing regardless of their bend.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    And what might those motives be Mr. Freud?
    I am responding to your orginal post as opposed to this version because it struck a cord.

It rankles that a few people here see fit to use this website as a free therapy regimen instead of paying for real professional therapy sessions. Freeloaders...

A few others need to stop coming here and start going to eHarmony, or someplace similar, instead of making this place their lifestyle.

...but where there are issues there are motives and that applies equally to anyone regardless.
    Uh, yeah, I think...

...Everyone has an opportunity to be here...

...you will need to make some compromises and a lot of understanding and tolerance.
    Yup, and those coming here must likewise realize that in the interest of focussing on LHS topical issues, a decision has been taken to very slightly reduce the offerings here. The "menu" is still vast, but the smorgasbord has been lessened ever so slightly.

...Sadly I am not convinced that is the case.
    OK
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    No, Greg uses the same horn you and I use, albeit slightly modified with bondo to attach the 045, which he has since stopped using. Do you find that your horns suffer from overt and distracting horn colourations?
    No I don't hear this either. The guy's name is Keith Howard. I took great pleasure in sending the magazine in question a letter pointing out that a very similar horn was used in numerous JBL designs renowned for their lack of horn colouration and that the reviewer must be mistaken. Apparently the editor shot me down in flames but I've no idea as I refuse to waste a dollar fifty on yet more lavatory paper.

Obsolete
    I took great pleasure in sending the magazine in question a letter pointing out that a very similar horn was used in numerous JBL designs renowned for their lack of horn colouration and that the reviewer must be mistaken.
    That would seem to be the common consensus.
    I refuse to waste a dollar fifty on yet more lavatory paper.
    You might wish to rethink that because if Sheryl has her way you might find you need some backup material.

Thread Information