Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4560 JBL Bass Bins

Lately I've sold every cabinet I owned,except the 4560's. I've always liked waht they can do. If you are using them for home listening, instead of a sub you could try attenuating the midrange, or boosting the LF. If you start looking for subs to keep up, you are looking at some large or expensive solutions, when you consider the 103db sensitivity of the 4560. Or use some lesser subs and just don't turn up the 4560's.

Thanks Mikebake,
    I plan on keeping these because they have the sound I have been looking for for quite some time. I did try using a lab 12 sub with them but couldn't get the system to integrate properly. The lab 12 has tremendous output down to 30 hz but for all the room it took up and the fact that it didn't do much to complement the 4560's, I decided to get rid of it. The lab 12 could make everything in the room rattle but the 4560's will make snow fall from my drop ceiling!!! Man these suckers can punch.

What 15 are you using in them?

You have to bi-amp if using a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Lately I've sold every cabinet I owned,except the 4560's. I've always liked waht they can do. If you are using them for home listening, instead of a sub you could try attenuating the midrange, or boosting the LF. If you start looking for subs to keep up, you are looking at some large or expensive solutions, when you consider the 103db sensitivity of the 4560. Or use some lesser subs and just don't turn up the 4560's.
    I have pair of C40 rear loading horns that I bi-amp when I need that extra bass. John

What 15 are you using in them?

I,m using a TAD 1601. I used to run these in 5 cu ft B380 clone cabinets that resulted in overexcursion due to the low tuning freq. They seem to like the horn loading much better.

What do you use in your's?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I have pair of C40 rear loading horns that I bi-amp when I need that extra bass. John
    I will definately be biamping the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I,m using a TAD 1601. I used to run these in 5 cu ft B380 clone cabinets that resulted in overexcursion due to the low tuning freq. They seem to like the horn loading much better.

What do you use in your's?
    Originally E130's, mostly 2226's.

If anyone needs pics or measurement's of the 4560's i will be glade to
    help.I have a set laying around doing nothing.

Gee, I can't beleive people still want these things

This is not a put down because I used to own a bunch of them and I liked them at the time for what they were. To this day I still think that they are the best reproducer of 'rock guitar' and the hit from the lower register of a snare drum is superb. Their projection is fair up to medium distances around 100' perhaps a little more.
    Really the downfall in these boxes resulted in: A) a movement to smaller more portable systems and B) like many older systems that were 4 and 5 way due to the driver limitations of the time, resulting in the cross over point being right smack in the middle of the spectrum. Later systems attempted to have a seamless mid crossing over much higher.

Like everyone else 30 years ago, I couldn't give mine away for free so I just threw them out. BUT, time heals and I guess they have a different value now if not a sentimental one. "What's old is new again"

p.s. a word of warning:
    This cabinet is not meant for bass reproduction and really suits a 2220 or E130 and indeed it does it's job quite well with these mid bass drivers. There is not enough clearance in the factory boxes to accommodate a 2225 excursion. I found this out the hard way.

Hello Guys

I think what the 4560s do with drums is incredible. I use mine with 2226 drivers, but I also have some E130s and E140s I have never tried.

In search of a 4way horn system, I also have some folded bass horns some 1.7m long that suit 2240 drivers, that I am yet to try to integrate with the 4560s.

I did have one idea to try with the 4560 in a 4-way and that was to use the horn only, and extend the existing horn throat backwards to suit a 12 or 10 inch driver, say a 2202 or 2123 and then use a sealed backchamber. That way I have alot less cabinet making and could then use the horn from say 100-200 Hz and hand over at (maybe) around 600/800 Hz to a 2440 then 2405....

One day

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

I got mine from a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    This is not a put down because I used to own a bunch of them and I liked them at the time for what they were. To this day I still think that they are the best reproducer of 'rock guitar' and the hit from the lower register of a snare drum is superb. Their projection is fair up to medium distances around 100' perhaps a little more.
    Really the downfall in these boxes resulted in: A) a movement to smaller more portable systems and B) like many older systems that were 4 and 5 way due to the driver limitations of the time, resulting in the cross over point being right smack in the middle of the spectrum. Later systems attempted to have a seamless mid crossing over much higher.

Like everyone else 30 years ago, I couldn't give mine away for free so I just threw them out. BUT, time heals and I guess they have a different value now if not a sentimental one. "What's old is new again"

p.s. a word of warning:
    This cabinet is not meant for bass reproduction and really suits a 2220 or E130 and indeed it does it's job quite well with these mid bass drivers. There is not enough clearance in the factory boxes to accommodate a 2225 excursion. I found this out the hard way.
    Yes, 30 years ago they were the hottest thing out there. I run mine in a 4 way setup with the sub bi-amp and passive on the rest. This way I only need two power amps.
    They show up on eBay from time to time. I'm in the process of building a more portable set that will be for smaller gigs.

Drums, yes, very strong on 4560. I use 2226's, never had them bottom, but I don't try to feed them too much, too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post

p.s. a word of warning:
    They still want them because physics doesn't change and people like the sound and efficiency.

They still want them because physics doesn't change and people like the sound and efficiency.
    I have to agree with this. Yeah, on one hand it is older technology, but still works, and has projectivity through the upper bass and mids I can't seem to get from strictly direct radiators with no horn loading.

I use TAD 1603 ( very similar to JBL 2226 ) drivers in all my Altec basshorns, similar to JBL 4560, and I did add a spacer ring to prevent unwanted cone slap against the horn flare, and has never been a problem.

I read with interest how the technology may or may not be valid today, and I look at pro systems, especially ones made particularly for dance clubs, have actually returned to BIG, HEAVY, and EXPENSIVE HORN LOADED CABINETS! Ok, they updated the way they do it these days. Instead of a dual 15in front loaded horn doing LF and MF, today we have systems with the full range consisting of either a large dual 15in folded horn LF or QUAD direct radiating 15,s with tuned ports, dual 10in, or 12in, OR quad 8in straight front loaded horns for the midbass/midrange, and a HF compression driver/horn, or even an additional VHF tweeter as well.

IMO, the 4560,s can still work well today, and I also think that with good subs, and HF horns and even tweeters, one can get more out of less gear and power than it will take to achieve the same with ported direct radiators alone. And even then, IMO, the sound that comes from horn loding, and it's all been said here, the snare drum, the drums, I also think vocals, keyboards, bass guitar, percussion, etc.
    scottyj

Thread Information