Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4560 JBL Bass Bins

4560 JBL Bass Bins

Do you use any insulation in these cabinets? If so what is the location to apply insulation. What makes the best insulations? More questions than answers. I kick myself in the rear for ever getting rid of the pair I had. My Dad being a great cabinet builder is gonna make them for me out of burch!
    JBL Junkie

Maybe put this in the DIY section so folks will see it where it's expected...
    This isn't exactly Forum Feedback material.

Stick -

I have two of those that are in your Avatar. They are in the garage and was going to put them on CL tomorrow.

They are BIG!

-Storm.

4560 cabs

Cant answer your question but maybe you can answer mine. do you know where I can get a set of plans so I can build some? I had 4 of them in the 80'S but now you cant find them very often if you do they want an arm and a leg for them or they are on the other side of the country.Can you help?

google "4560 plans"

Quote Originally Posted by stick130 View Post
    Do you use any insulation in these cabinets? If so what is the location to apply insulation. What makes the best insulations? More questions than answers. I kick myself in the rear for ever getting rid of the pair I had. My Dad being a great cabinet builder is gonna make them for me out of burch!
    Hello Stick

I am not sure what was in them originally, but Fibregalss batts or acrylic fibre insulation should be fine. Fibreglass typically provides more damping, and is often also higher density, but if you are not in love with the idea working with it because of loose fibres, masks, itching etc...you could use the acrylic.

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

short_circutz
    I know where there will be four 4560 cabs coming available for sale here...they have been in a couple of different installs since new (first time installed from new at a roller rink by my dad), second install is in the club I do some tech work in (installed by my dad and I) and never used in a portable system. They have the original 2220 speakers all in working order (though the cones are pretty soft), they have 2397 horns ( http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2397.pdf )with adapters going to 1" drivers (I forget which model drivers, but we upgraded the phenolic diaphragms that were in them to newer titanium diaphragms)...the 15's are 16 ohm models, so are the horn drivers.

They aren't being used anymore since we installed the SR4731X speakers at the stage (got those at a steal for $1000 Cdn for the pair!), so they will be coming down and sold, either as complete units or parted out. I'm right at the center of the great lakes, directly across the border from Sault Ste Marie MI. I'll try to get pics.

I found two in a dumpster!!!!!!

They were copies but they had JBL speakers in them, I had do to some minor repairs to the cabinet, I put fiber glass on the rear of the box. I have used them a couple of time for PA bottoms. Need to cover them with speaker fabric when I have the time. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    They were copies but they had JBL speakers in them, I had do to some minor repairs to the cabinet, I put fiber glass on the rear of the box. I have used them a couple of time for PA bottoms. Need to cover them with speaker fabric when I have the time. John
    Not sure what you mean by "bottoms" but these cabs are NOT made for and do NOT put out much bass compared to the 200hz and up range, so they are NOT for sub use or real bass reinforcement. That was not their purpose.
    You can use SOME eq down lower to help, depending on the drivers used.

Blow 200hz they are a bass reflex.

Yes, you do have use some EQ since the bass reflex is not as efficient as the front horn. But all in all the still do a good job. John

They called them bass reflex under 200 in the literature, but when it's down taht many db, it really ain't meant to do much but be horn loaded.

Ture, but the low bass is there.

I love your tag line. John

Are you mad?

The 4560 was my first JBL box I used for school dances in 1979. I found one, and had a cabinet maker friend of my parents build a match. I used a "used up" 2205 woofer with silicone around the surround, and a 2440 on a Northwest Sound 2350 style of horn. I had two mono active MXR crossovers at 800hz. My friends and I thought is was the biggest baddest disco dj rig aound!

A couple years later, the owner of the pro sound company took me under his wing and taught me what was completely WRONG with that rig. NO Bottom, and NO real top!

I sold the 4560's to guy for his PA for some crappy little band he had, kept the 2440 and horns, and NEVER EVER looked back!!!

The 4560 is a low-mid cabinet designed for vocal range midrange for movie theatres. There was no such thing as "sub" woofers, just woofers, mids and highs. Pretty basic. Every school PA had a center cluster above the down stage center of a 4560 box and a 2350 or multi cellular horn strapped to it, driven by some weakass Altec amp in rack, somewhere.

Elements of the 4560 horn loaded box can be seen in almost every style of pro PA box since, but lets be very frank... THIS IS NOT A BOTTOM BOX!

If you are looking for serious subs, and these days who isn't, do some homework and search this site. You will find some very good information!

Scotty.

Sheesh! Next someone will say an L100/4311 was the most sonically and technically accurate speaker box! I've got 8 of them.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post

If you are looking for serious subs, and these days who isn't,

I'm not.

I don't think many people think the old 4560 is a subwoofer. What it is is a pretty good sounding box capable of excellent upper bass and midrange and that can do surprisingly well as the bass section of a 2-way system. I've heard several nice hi-fis based on the 4560.

I have a pair of these and agree that they are lacking in the sub region. I got them from a friend and thought that I would hate them for home use. To my surprise, they sound great! They have some serious punch compared to the reflex cabinets i was running. Increased efficiency means I don't have to push my amps nearly as hard. I do plan on building subs to use with them but would like to hear what other people are using for subs.

What will keep up with them?

What should I cross them over at?

I assume that horn subs will be needed or a bunch of 2245's in large cabinets.

Thread Information