Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everest DD66000 comes to Sweden.

lfh

Thumbs up

Hi Peter,

many thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    It was not a real test session, neither did I know all the the music nor did I know much about the room with my listening position. It was a two hours session with a pause in the middle, but some fatique was inevitable.
    About what size was the room? Was it "live" or "dead"? What was the listening distance? How many persons listened during one session? Did they play (too) loud?

We, the listeners, were guided by a JBL representant from Sweden as far as I have understood. We made an acoustical journey through the development of recording techniques with quite a few of well known examples. It started with Nat King Cole with a 1936 session.
    That's a neat idea to do a brief historical overview! I figure many are not aware of how good old recordings can often sound. (I listen a lot to late 50:s and early 60:s jazz, and sometimes the "sound" per se makes me smile.)

My final impression was, that the Array 1400 could deliver sound quality whatever the recording offered.
    /.../
    Surprisingly my wife said, she liked the Array 1400 very much ...
    I guess it has been mentioned here before, but Swedish Hi-Fi press have been very positive about the Project Array. That the WAF is high is news to me, though. Of course, compared to the Everests, they're small budget speakers

The new Everest plays music without attracting attention. It was always very harmonic in a way I have never heard before with speakers.
    I bet! (I hope they come to Stockholm (or Oslo).)

At the end of the session we had the chance to ask for special music. I would have liked to listen to some "full orchestra" sounds.
    A pity you didn't get your records in time. Did someone else bring symphonic music?

Besides the music Sweden presented itself in a very sunny springlike way at the end of April.
    I'm glad "we" took good care of our visitors.

Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by lfh View Post
    Hi Peter,

many thanks for the report!

Yes, Thanks from over here too!

My wife and I heard and saw them in January... her reaction was also far from positive due to their size. Unfortunately they were not showing the Array Series so I didn't get a chance to take her pulse on them.

...but what the heck, if I could afford the DD66000s, then I could probably afford to build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...but what the heck, if I could afford the DD66000s, then I could probably afford to build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter.
    Exactly. There comes a point where the wife has so much of her own money to play with and so much room in the household to realize her own decorating schemes that your choice of loudspeakers simply isn't an issue any longer.

when I get there, I'll be sure to let y'all know

-grumpy

Obsolete
    I guess it has been mentioned here before, but Swedish Hi-Fi press have been very positive about the Project Array. That the WAF is high is news to me, though. Of course, compared to the Everests, they're small budget speakers
    The performance of the Array Series as been a real hit worldwide. Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead. Something along the lines of an enhanced Performance Series. Naturally all this could change and never come to pass but it's nice to hear of future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    when I get there, I'll be sure to let y'all know

-grumpy
    I'll tell you how I got part-way there. The OL went back to MI, and we got divorced.

Then I hooked up with a nice, younger woman who's not interested in getting married.

Now I'm working on the money part. I just have to find the right speaker that's actually available.

Did the distributor in Sweden indicate availability of the Everest IIs? How long of a wait to get them if one had the money?
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-01-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: to bring it on thread again

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Exactly. There comes a point where the wife has so much of her own money to play with and so much room in the household to realize her own decorating schemes that your choice of loudspeakers simply isn't an issue any longer.

We all need our own room to do what we want to do in, from an audio standpoint/2 channel room. Home Theater Room, the wives can help decorate and make it visually appealing to company, but we always have the final say when it comes to gear/speaker arrays in that room. The final approval is when you sit your better half down for a session and the "WOW" factor comes in then they understand.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

One of my favorite sayings (rarely said, but always on the tip of your tongue)

"I wish we could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

I have said it to marketing teams at various companies I worked at, but, of course, if you said it at home you'd probably sleep on the sofa that night ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    The Everest II demonstrates that a 9 cu ft volume doesn't have to look like a 4345 or 4355.

I want to see some of these decorators on HGTV integrate them into some rooms.

I want to see some of these decorators on HGTV integrate them into some rooms.

Should be no problem, maybe they could come with decorative plant holders on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

build a proper listening room for them and WAF just wouldn't matter.

Widget
    The downstairs is MY room for that..the rule was originally...Honey..you can have the entire house BUT the downstairs is MINE ( you know..what happens downstairs STAYS downstairs)..wishful thinking..it's still MY room BUT I have to put up with the occasional "comments"

Anyway..thanks for the reviews....

About what size was the room? Was it "live" or "dead"? What was the listening distance? How many persons listened during one session? Did they play (too) loud?
    Hi Fredrik,
    in fact I did not care very much for the room because I joined the session completely unprepared.

On the Marina Plazas web site they say the room "Helsingör" has 70 m*m capable of 40 seats when used in rows with tables. The dimensions were round about 7 m x 10 m. May be we were 25 listeners on chairs in the middle of the room (no tables). The speakers were placed at two well marked places with quite a distance to the walls. The room had no extra preparation as far as I could see, simply a conference room - just fine.

For a two hours session it was very loud, that is our opinion. Before the session they played some background music, this was the time where my wife got convinced!

I did not say that the WAF is high in general. But I would not dare to stop my wife in this aspect . I will see what will happen, it could be the start of ...

No one else had some own music. But the moderator was so kind to play a violin concert (Mozart?) which gave some good impressions.

@TiDome
    During the official part it has not been talked about delivery. (But my Swedish is very rudimentary, nearly no practice.)

lfh
    Japan can't get past the visual aspects though so the plan is to introduce a replacement series (at the same price points) that incorporate all direct radiators instead.
    Is it the "443x syndrome" again? I really hope not (one would have expected the society to have made some progress in this respect since the 80:s).

lfh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    For a two hours session it was very loud, that is our opinion.
    Did you let them know you thought they played too loud, such that they hopefully can adjust a bit until next time? E.g. they could play at comfortable levels (ask the audience!) during the demo, and offer an optional SPL show-off for the loud crowd afterwards.

Thanks for the room specs (I´m a bit obsessed with room acoustics these days).

Obsolete
    I'm not really sure what exactly, I just heard they aren't real fired up about the Array Series from a visual standpoint.

Did you let them know you thought they played too loud, such that they hopefully can adjust a bit until next time?
    I did not want to ask for a different level, the other listeners did not say anything. But my impression has been that the moderator is open for suggestions.

BTW the playback was adjusted for each piece of music and often the level was even readjusted. It did not run automatically.

Thread Information