Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GERMANY.www.hifi-lang.de

RIP OFF BRITAIN !

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    why germany? as i understand it bryston has ties with pmc which i believe are based in britain.let me know if i can be of any assistance as bryston is made in canada.its a mere 1200 mile hike from here
    I have seen new Brystons in Germany for 30% less than here. Thats a lot of money. To Make things even more complicated ; I was offered a job in Canada yesterday. I could be there within the year if I decide to take it . But , because I have been away for so long I'll have to apply as a newbie . Hey, are 4345's classified as hand luggage on air canada ?
    Rich

STILL CRISP

Your logic is good and a 20 year warranty is awsome but.... i used to sell both from the same establishment. I' m sticking with my recommendation. Solid.
    And that is from someone who likes Bryston a lot. Go listen.

100 200 etc

Watts Watts yeah yeah those numbers are truly meaningless. Sorry to keep banging the drum BUT ML2 at 25 wpc will toast just about anything that has ever been made including your toast since they are almost pure class A. Check out what these bad boys sell for and they are nearly 40 yo..
    Since it seems you have a pro usage requirement QSC or Crown with a sweety for your domestic top end. I repeat I am not anti Bryston but not with these speakers. LOL

sweetie!

Mac ,
    your'll have to forgive me . I have a good ear and thats it. This is a whole new level for me and I'm grateful for your input .I will go with the Pass labs sooner or later . I found a dealer that will lend me an x 150 to try out.
    Its just such a big chunk of cash for me to drop on a whim . The 4345's were'nt cheap to build but i did'nt really notice it that much as it has been spread over a few months.
    Rich

what kind of work do you do that requires a system like that?if you are coming over this way id hold off on the amp and take advantage of the market here.there are several good brands made here and even more stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    250 watts per 2245 is plenty . would'nt you say. Or am i completely naff .
    Rich

Plenty.

I may have found some second hand 4B's that may interest..will pm

Another Bryston trick I have seen is to use a 5-channel 9B SST and use four of the channels to bi-amp a stereo pair. It's leave one channel unused but still more efficient than buying/running two separate amps. That's what I would do if I was serious about bi-amping (which I am not). I think there are 3-channel and 5-channel variants of the 9B, don't know the full story though.

There's an ex-demo one here but I have seen them go for £2k second hand (that's serious watts per £):

http://www.rayleighhifi.com/specials...e=specialspage

Bryston Link

I see they do 2, 3, 4 and 5 channel versions of the 9B. Only ever seen 3 and 5 channel versions on the market though.

It's "only" rated at 140W/channel so I guess can be thought of as a multi-channel version of the 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Plenty.
    Depends on your applicaton. For home use 250 watts is plenty.

The quality of those watts, particularly the First Watt are cucial.

If you are proposing to drive them in full passive mode as I do sometimes the amp needs to be a high current design and a very good one. On a really nice amp it works well, otherwise biamp.

But don't fall for the trap of using a hi powered amp (mid fi or PA amp) on the mids and highs and expect it to sound good at low levels. It will probably sound tinny and aggressive and you won't want to sit there for too long. Put shit in and you'll get shit out. Plain and simple.

These 4 way systems using the 2307/2308 devices seem to have been awarded certain reputation over the years by certain people who really had and still have no f$%^&*# idea about anything much. Unfortunately most people either don't or can't afford a high performance amp.

Apples ain't Oranges.

The fact that the 2307/2308 is not a bi radial with even power response means you can't rely on the room environment to soften and mellow the sound with the wider coverage that bi radials provide. The proportion of directly radiated sound reaching your ears from the 2307/2308 is much larger.

Bi radials also have the lower end EQd back to buggery by 10 db or more and that means any distortion has non linear representation with frequency whereas the 2307/2308 provides a linear representation of distortion because its not Eq'd.

Thus in the 1-4 Khertz area where the ear is quite sensitive there is a much higher likelyhood of hearing 2nd, 3rd and high harmonics of distortion out of the amp if its not well behaved.

You really need to try out a couple of really good amps to understand and appreciate this.

I never believed it until I move over to class A about 7 years ago and started using a JL Hood amp I built and later the bigger and more powerful Pass Labs amps. Its like sorting the chalk from the cheese with the micro dynamics of theses systems. It really is.

Edit,

I found a better (groovy) picture to post so here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

sold

pass labs seem to be favourate and for all the right reasons. Cost should'nt really matter at this point. I have spent too much, of both time and money. I would'nt buy an Aston Martin and then convert it to run on L.P.G.Besides , they run really hot,so I'll save money on the heating bill.
    Rich

Thread Information