Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GERMANY.www.hifi-lang.de

GERMANY.www.hifi-lang.de

I'm hoping the members in Germany can help. Iv'e been looking for amplification for my soon to be completed 4345's. I really fancy Bryston. I have found a dealer in Germany www.hifi-lang.de. These guys have what i'm looking for.Does anyone have experience with these people. I think there in Berlin. Is anyone close.I'm thinking of flying from London to do the deal.It would be nice to hook up and have someone to help with the language DRINKS AND A NICE MEAL MY TREAT.!!!!!!!

Rich

!!!!Fangio , where are you?

Hi Richard,

"Fangio" is in Berlin and as far as I know him, I'm sure he will help you.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    ...for my soon to be completed 4345's... I really fancy Bryston. I have found a dealer in Germany www.hifi-lang.de. These guys have what i'm looking for. Does anyone have experience with these people. I think there in Berlin...Rich
    Sure I would be pleased to be of any assistance for LHF members in Berlin but what makes you think this company is here? Their impressum/contact info says 67059 Ludwigshafen - 625km away..?

google map

whats up ?

whats up , don't you like a good walk? ........Is Guido close?
    I'll google berlin+bryston.
    Rich

Just wanted to state that Ludwigshafen isn't around the corner for me, and to make sure we're talking about the same company. Actually, other members live much closer to them, HP included.

Again Richard, if you find a good deal in Berlin, I'm ready to help.

Richard,

the problem is the following:

Bryston is distributed by Sun Audio in Munich. I refuse to contact them as they are arrogant people and I will be in fight with them after 5 minutes talk.
    You can contact them but 100% sure they will ask you to contact your UK dealer.
    There is another distributor for Austria. Musikparadies near Vienna.

None of them is around the corner for me.

That's the problem with these "exclusive" components.

Try to contact AVM (http://www.avm-audio.eu/) or SAC (http://www.sac.de/). Their amps are better than Brystons and I will be happy to assist a deal with these friendly people.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

whats up ?

Hey Guido,
    I'm not going to ask about ........... ! You have'nt answered my emails . I figured you are really busy with making a crust.
    SAC look interesting.I'll call them tomorrow. Should i mention you sent me ?
    They look like mono blocks . You should know all about them...... Mr PassLabs .
    Do you think It will sound as good as bi-amped ? The Brystons would set me back 6000 euros. Could i get pass diy for that kind of money.
    I would rather just pay for the finished article .I need to get some painting done so not much time for learning i'm afraid.I will definately buy your side of the channel . 20 to 30 % cheaper your side.

bryston

I'm almost certain there is a distributor in the UK although I do not know who.
    Failing that contact Bryston direct and see what they will do for you --- nothing ventured. You will however pay a big whack in duty vat shipping but the starting price is low compared to UK. IMHO bryston amps are a bit ' crisp ' and your speakers will expose this ruthlessly.
    Given that you have £4000 ish my suggestion would be to hunt down some vintage Levinson. ML10a pre approx 1k toss the phono stage if you dont use a tt and you get an extra high level input. As i remember it you are splitting the crossover so you will need 2 stereo power amps. 3k should get you 2 ML9s or slightly better. JBL and ML go together like bangers and mash and I think you will find that the factory uses ML extensively.
    At the very least go hear an ML setup oh and by the way the pre's take a good couple of days to settle so your dealer should have it on full time. Do not judge a cold unit - I cant stress this too much.
    An alternative if you want new I have been very impressed with the recent offerings by Rotel. Same applies with warm up but less so than with ML
    Agoood rummage around some of the s/h brokers in the uk should turn up what you need .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mark-Levinson-...QQcmdZViewItem

No afilliation. Best of luck

crisp !

Hi Mac,
    i hope its ok to call you that. Thanks for your input. You make a good point about the crispness . That is something I'm trying to get rid off by building 4345's .I felt the 2122 would warm up the mids a bit .Levinson is nice kit. I shall find a dealer down here and see if they will demo for me.
    Is Peebles near you ?

Rich

Hi Rich, assuming you are bi-amping, (highly recommended for 4345's, by the way) you certainly don't need much juice for the high pass section.

If you're not interested in tubes, Pass Labs 30 or 60 watt class A monoblocks would be nice with a Bryston or other similar amp on the bottom.

I like Bryston for LF, but prefer something with a little more finesse on the MF/HF/UHF. I am using large tube monoblocks usually in triode mode capable of about 60-70 watts per channel and they are PLENTY!

Tubes !

Hi Chas,
    there is a conrad johnson on english ebay at the moment . I also have a mate in cornwall . bigearsaudio (google and see what you think)perhaps there is something you could recommend.If Mac is on the money with the crisp thing it should add a little snap to the 2245, dont you think. that is, if by "crisp" he means its fast.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Chas,
    there is a conrad johnson on english ebay at the moment . I also have a mate in cornwall . bigearsaudio (google and see what you think)perhaps there is something you could recommend.If Mac is on the money with the crisp thing it should add a little snap to the 2245, dont you think. that is, if by "crisp" he means its fast.

Rich
    Crisp? Verging on harsh sounding? :dont-know Maybe Mac can elaborate what he meant.

Others here (like Scott) have had way more experience with different amps on big JBL's but in my opinion, a good solid and reliable 200-300 watt amp will drive the 2245's very nicely. I use an old Nikko Alpha 450, a low end Japenese amp from the eighties and it does the job just fine. If you want to spend big dollars on Levinson (another Harman dvision, BTW) then great. I'd look at Crown too.

My point is that I would focus more on the drive above 290 Hz. This is where quality of amp sound is much more crucial. Either Conrad Johnson or Audio Research would be a nice choice too.

Beware that no matter how nice the power amplifier is, the limiting factor may well end up being the sound quality of your crosssover.

CRISP

Means in this context somewhat sharp or even edgy. Other opinions re Bryston in the bass are true - plenty of weight / slam authority I would not argue at all but hf ? Peebles is not near me at all in fact it is a full day trip there and back. That amp will run the whole shebang with aplomb. I have some extensive experience with this. As and when your dosh allows buy another and spit the x/o.
    I had a further look there are a few No. 28 pre amps on the go at £1k ish
    Total deal is £3k ish and you are up and running with enough change in your pocket for a lovely trip to the Oktobefest in Munich. mmmmmmm
    I worked 25 years in Hi Fi and have had exposure to huge numbers of products, a luxury you may think but sometimes a chore because so many products fall so short when push comes to shove. JBL seldom did that for me and although they have made some dogs they have made many unforgetable classics ( you have one )
    The ethic at JBL is the same as exists at ML .( engineering dept ) This stuff is the business !!!
    You will never look back my friend.

PS A pal of mine who is a Magazine reader runs some Appogee speakers and against my advice went and spent £2k on a Krell line pre and a further £1.5k on a Tom somebody phono stage made from plastic. Despite my best efforts the whole rig hummmmms ( tech ground / balanced cable etc ) not badly but enough to smear the image. £3.5 wasted the only good piece he bought was a Rotel 150w power which actually does the trick with the Appogee.
    However every time I walk into his sound room I just know he could have had so much more for less £££ If I am wrong you will get your money back easy peasy you will have noticed that ML residual values are high and for good reason. I would give you £1200 for a clean ML11/12 pls124 tomorrow morning and that is about what they cost new in the 80's

No Affiliation.

Hi Rich,

My two bobs worth.

The 4345 are basically a piston range system all the way with very low intermodulation distortion.

As a result they "accurate" and have surprising micro dynamics and resolving power to match.

But put shit in and you will get shit out. This can be a good and a bad thing.

What you want is the resolving power but not to make everything except a handful of recording unplayable. The speakers are not amp picky as such but they seem to really elevate running class A with plenty of bias. A hint of warmth and a really smooth & clean top end seems to help the horn and slot make it into real Hifi as opposed to another hard sounding monitor.

The impediance of the system dips quite low in the mid range and this accounts in my mind as to why these 4 ways sound hard on the lot of amps.

My suggestion is use a modest class A amp, valve (Cary) or Pass Aleph 30 or 60) on the mid and horn section and big Crown on the bottom end.

There is an interesting firm that makes a nice active crossover and class A amps combined in Germany. I will try and remember who is it. They were featured in AudioExpress a while back.

Ian

pass labs 0

Hi Ian ,
    do you know the pass labs 0 . mono blocks 75 watts rms ?There are some pre-owned in the UK for £3000.
    Rich

Thread Information