Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaker fill

speaker fill

So, I've been filling speakers with hand fluffed fluff - which is extreemly long winded, until one large bass speaker which I lined with roof insulation, and covered with dacron sheet, which sounded great, but no direct comparrisons to be made.
    Then, 6 months ago, i changed all the bass cones and filled some with fluff, some with insulation but didn't get the chance to compare properly. Now the speakers are back (from a job) and i've had the chance to compare with proper, well produced, test music (vocals, double bass, jazz etc), and the insulation version is much clearer, and integrates with midrange better. it seems to 'breath' better, less muffled, so i'm about to embark on some experiments to try all sorts of fills/ linings and would much appreciate any experiences / ideas of things to try. Thick carpet is on the list, and some ribbed spongey underlay is another one to try. (yep i raided the carpet fitters skip!)

Instinct tells me that the cone needs lots of air around it to function properly.
    Is the function of fill / lining only to stop standing waves & reflected waves?

I'v got some old transmition lines that are filled with horse hair, and they sound great. should i be out in the feilds chasing horses around with a pair of scissors?
    ta
    jody

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    should i be out in the feilds chasing horses around with a pair of scissors?
    Come back!
    About 35 years back I ordered sheep wool in Great Britain for a short KEF B110 transmission line. The sound in the mids was better than with anything else. Today i can buy sheep wool from VISATON.

Any fibre should have a small diameter as far as I have understood. Horse hair perhaps, but not from the tail.

I have tried wadding (real cheap) with improved mids. For bass fiber glass is a good solution.

The appropriate filling does not only reduces standing waves but also helps reducing volume. A very scientific investigation:
    http://users.ece.gatech.edu/%7Emleac...rs/Filling.pdf

And here's an interesting and useful layman's approach;

http://web.archive.org/web/200210070...ces/fiberfill/

Cabinet stuffing

I tried long hair wool years ago....supposed to be great for transmission lines....it doesn't work for mid cabs or vented woofers. Not enough dampening, IME....I still think lining the walls with fibreglass works as good as anything, although I do have acoustistuff in one set of mid chambers, and it seems a little more natural sounding....but I used twice what they recommended, forming a "nest" behind the driver, as well as filling the rest more loosely....otherwise it was too honky, and underdamped. Just my two cents...
    The link from moldyoldy is a great one, although I would use acoustistuff over fibrefill....I think it works better....

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    The link from moldyoldy is a great one, although I would use acoustistuff over fibrefill....I think it works better....
    I haven't tried polyester fiberfill in decades... when I did try it I loved the installation due to it not being itchy or harmful to breathe... but I didn't like the performance at all. Luckily it was also a pleasure to remove.

Widget

I've seen other members talk about the accoustic properties of cat fur in their boxes, but mine won't stay still long enough for me to put the woofer back into place and close up the box
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

this is who i used

i found these guy's really helpful. www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk
    Look me up if you come to London.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've seen other members talk about the accoustic properties of cat fur in their boxes, but mine won't stay still long enough for me to put the woofer back into place and close up the box

hmmm....maybe there's a market for cultured hairballs....kaaaak...kaaak...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    The appropriate filling does not only reduces standing waves but also helps reducing volume.
    Peter
    why would you want reduced volume? more int. volume = more low end extension, no?

hang on, i'll read the links.

AH, got you. smaller physical volume, but larger apparent volume

as for the 1st link, great, but got through about 1 1/2 pages before my brain haemoraged.
    I'll try again later when i've recovered.

Thanx for all your help, i'm sure i'll be back with more questions

why would you want reduced volume? more int. volume = more low end extension, no?

hang on, i'll read the links.
    Each speaker should have a specific volume relating to the specific design. Often it is optimal flat.
    Concidering a modern speaker (QTS < 0.5), there are different choices:
    - With too much volume you will have a weak bass although resonance frequency can be sufficient deep.
    - With much too little volume the resonance frequency will be too high combined with a (nasty /boomy) peak.
    - Only with a specific volume the frequency response is optimal flat.
    (Bass resonance enclosures are a bit more complicated.)

With filling the volume seems to be enlarged.
    Look at the layman's approach (Post #3).
    With filling your enclosure can be a bit smaller (and lighter).

For an exact design you will need the TSP (Thiele-Small-Parameter)
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=13171
    and
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14472

I read this someplace years ago, and I'm not certain that it's technically correct. But supposedly, the fiberglass slows the pressure waves in the cabinet as they pass through the fill. Creating a similar effect to moving the walls further away. Like a virtual larger cabinet.

Instinct tells me that the cone needs lots of air around it to function properly.
    Is the function of fill / lining only to stop standing waves & reflected waves?
    ive had really good luck with the foam that looks lik egg carton.it aint cheap but it works.the particles from fiberglass is an irritant to me and working with the foam was clean and easy.there are cheaper foams of a non accoustic nature that i have used too and had good luck.they were in my 10 cuft l136 a cabs

JBL 4645
    I find this interesting I know some use fibreglass or other type of absorbent material that as certain properties. But why not something like an "anechoic chamber" lined throughout the inside of the enclosure?

What would that do? Well this make it worse better or perhaps something new might evolve from it?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

But why not something like an "anechoic chamber" lined throughout the inside of the enclosure?
    Moin,

an anechoic chamber has dampening at the walls with a thickness of about 1 meter. And these rooms are preferably large. There is a lower cut off frequency where the absorption will not function any more.

In practice you can mount the speaker into a door, the closed room behind will not affect the resonance frequency. But you have room resonances which must be dampened. And that is what you have wanted to be avoided.

Anyway you do it, it should be engineered in a thorough way - consider the WAF too.

[A perfect solution is a open baffle design for the summer garden - really advantage.]

Waf?
    open baffle design?

to what extent is fill or lining for stopping standing waves?
    if a box was big enough anyway, would a box with no parallel sides still need lining/fill to lessen reverberations?

I'll post some answers soon - just waiting for 4 speakers to come back from a job, and i'll have 8 in a row, each with different stuff in.

still a few ideas short for 8 x different things.
    duck feathers?
    polystyrene packing 'wotsits' (girlfriends idea, to clean up environment)?

thanks.

Thread Information