Thread: BX63A Power Supply Question

Audiokarma

BX63A Power Supply Question

I recently picked up a BX63A that is missing the original power supply. So far, I have contacted one electronics supplier. Here is copy of text of my inquiry and his response.

I'm seeking opinions on whether his recommendation for a replacement is a viable solution:

INQUIRY:

Hello,

I am looking for a replacement power supply for a home audio electronic crossover. It is a JBL BX63A and the original was a

15 V AC

50-60 Hz

1 W

The input jack on the back is 1/8" and it does not have a center pin.

I have attached a picture of the back of the unit for your reference.

Do you have anything that might work?

Thanks for your help.

RESPONSE:

We do not have exact replacement. We have several 15 volt ac power adapters all of with are higher power 4.5 to 10 watts none of which have the 1/8 inch power plug they run in the $8.95 to $11.95 range we have a 1/8 inch plug at $1.95 which you could solder to the adapter cable and meet your needs. thecross over will only take what it needs. The AC means that you do not have to worry about polarity of the plug.

That is (almost) all correct. The output voltage of a larger, higher-wattage transformer will be a bit higher, so you want the smaller of the ones they have.

It should work.

The original owner of Ti Dome's BX63A use an 18V transformer, and that smoked the voltage regulator circuitry in his. I, too, had difficulty finding a suitable replacement.

Perhaps he can read on his transformer what size I ultimately found and used, which has been working fine for several years now....

I'll have to go to the office to check it out. I'll post it when I get it, but it's not likely to be until Monday. If I go sooner, I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Zilch is correct that it has worked continuously without issue for some time. In addition to crossover duty, I'm also using it to bridge a Soundcraftsmen A200 amp for the JBL B380. It works like a charm.

I have two BX63A's. One had the power supply, the other uses the following:
    Radio Shack AC Adaptor for Telephone Answering machines.
    Catalog number 273-1631
    800ma
    4 way switch for 9 to 13 volt.
    I measured it in store with a voltmeter at 15.5 volts on the 13 volt setting... Perfect.
    I got the correct 1/8" plug, and replaced the origonal plug, and used heat shrink over the wires.

Know what? It sounds better than the stock one.
    It was about $13.00.

It has been on for about 3 years.

I also replaced every cap inside both units with Mundorf silver oil or supreme, or Auricap, depending on value.
    Got rid of the output electrolytics, and used 5uf Auricaps.
    Replaced the power supply caps with Blackgates. (You wouldn't believe the bass after this was done) Perfect blend, fast, tight, natural

All of this is hooey, though, because I just felt like pissing money away, breathing solder fumes,etc....we all know that all capacitors sound alike....

My 1980 white aquaplas 2245H sounds the same as my 1995 black aquaplas 2245H...
    Incredible below 70hz

Actually, if you just replaced the high pass caps with a pair of silver oil Mundorf's, and replaced the power supply caps with FK series 220uf Blackgates.....that is 90% of the improvement....Just my experience.
    The silver oils are the only cap I tried that didn't change timbre, focus, sparkle, etc.
    The larger Blackgates won't fit in the chassis...but, beleive me, it's quality over quantity on this one. The old 470uf caps sound like shit in comparison. No kidding.
    One more thing. Let the Blackgates break in for a week or two, before thinking they are too dry.

Ok, this is all off topic enough,I guess....have fun, ya'all

Audiokarma
    Hey Ti, did you have a chance to take a look at your power supply? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'll have to go to the office to check it out. I'll post it when I get it, but it's not likely to be until Monday. If I go sooner, I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Zilch is correct that it has worked continuously without issue for some time. In addition to crossover duty, I'm also using it to bridge a Soundcraftsmen A200 amp for the JBL B380. It works like a charm.

You know, I haven't been in the office at all this week—lots happening in the neighborhoods unfortunately. But I will go to the office early in the morning and check it for you.

Sorry for the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You know, I haven't been in the office at all this week—lots happening in the neighborhoods unfortunately. But I will go to the office early in the morning and check it for you.

Sorry for the delay.
    Okay, I IMed my office and got my IT guy to check it out. It's a Phonemate NM-25 (13V 800mA).

Hey look! There's one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120107820033

$6.99 BIN

Don't ask me where I got that.

[BIN musta JUST went to $9.99.... ]

RIP 2009
    There's a JBL 15VAC power supply on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

John

Audiokarma

Got it

Hey John,

Thanks for heads up. I just worked out a Buy It Now with seller and snagged it.

FYI for others needing power.

I recently got a BX63 without a power supply. I took some advice from this thread and got the power supply from Radio Shack. It works perfectly.

I used these three items:
    Power Supply, part# 273-1631
    1/8" Adaptaplug "F", part# 273-1709
    Adaptaplug Socket, part# 273-1743

I cut the tip off of the power supply, soldered the adaptaplug socket to the wires on the power supply, and then plugged in the 1/8" adaptaplug to the adaptaplug socket. Works great!

This thread was a great help for me, maybe this addition will help others.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by elshout View Post
    I recently got a BX63 without a power supply. I took some advice from this thread and got the power supply from Radio Shack. It works perfectly.

I used these three items:
    Power Supply, part# 273-1631
    1/8" Adaptaplug "F", part# 273-1709
    Adaptaplug Socket, part# 273-1743

I cut the tip off of the power supply, soldered the adaptaplug socket to the wires on the power supply, and then plugged in the 1/8" adaptaplug to the adaptaplug socket. Works great!

This thread was a great help for me, maybe this addition will help others.

Scott
    I did the exact same thing for my newly acquired BX63A, maybe 2 weeks ago, per this thread. Soundboy's post was right on the money. I did the same thing, soldering the adaptaplug socket to the power supply lead, and then used the 1/8" adaptaplug. It works perfect. For my BX63A, I used the 13 volt setting, as did soundboy.

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Thread Information