r105...left to right...red,red,red,pink,pink

bbno4

Attached Images Attached Images  

bbno4

Obsolete
    Thank you very much for the info
    You've been very patient and helpful and we appreciate it

Here is a repost of your low pass card photo along with the required values for it to operate correctly with the K2.S5500

Obsolete
    Your cards definitely appear to be for the XPL200A.

Originally posted by Giskard
    Thank you very much for the info
    You've been very patient and helpful and we appreciate it

Here is a repost of your low pass card photo along with the required values for it to operate correctly with the K2.S5500
    Giskard,

So are the cards verified as being made for the XPL-200's?

Cheers
    Pasadena

Giskard,

You read my mind

Cheers
    Pasadena

Giskard,

When you say 200A, does this also covers the original 200?

Cheers
    Pasadena

Obsolete
    Yes.

XPL200/XPL200A with respect to this electronic crossover.

Yes.

XPL200/XPL200A with respect to this electronic crossover.
    Giskard,

Now that we know what the values and the card setups are, can you verify all this against the DX-1 schematic previously posted as to whether or not the schematics for the LF/HF cards check out?

I only ask this because someone said that there were two copies of the DX-1 schematic floating around and wanted to check if the one on this board is the correct one?

Cheers
    Pasadena

Obsolete
    The schematics posted all over this forum for the DX-1 are the original version designed for systems such as the XPL200/XPL200A. It appears to be the only schematic available from Harman/JBL.

The "newer" schematic would show that the high pass card was changed to a biased version for use with K2 systems. The high pass for the K2.S5500 is a simple 6 dB/octave with the series capacitors biased. (0.015uF series capacitor followed with a 4.7Mohm resistor to 15V supply, followed by the 0.011uF series capacitor and a 10.7k parallel resistor)

To use the older card with the K2.S5500 you could simply use a 0.0063uF series capacitor and a 10.7k parallel resistor. To make up for that fact that you won't be biasing, use a killer capacitor like a polystyrene and tin foil RelCap from some place such as Michael Percy Audio if it will physically fit. (See page 5 of his catalog and note the RT 0.0062uF for $3.95)

You could also modify the older card for biasing and simply run the voltage feed from the low pass card.
    Last edited by 4313B; 01-24-2004 at 10:37 AM.

The schematics posted all over this forum for the DX-1 are the original version designed for systems such as the XPL200/XPL200A. It appears to be the only schematic available from Harman/JBL.
    Giskard,

I'm going to suss out how easy it is to make up both cards from scratch.

I'll see my cousin who works in the electronics field to see where one would start trying to build these cards.

The first part will be to deisgn and make the PCB board as blank cards are not made anymore. It will be an interesting little project to say the least.

I'm all the way over in aussie land so finding the DX-1's are like fidning a needle in the haystack.

Cheers
    Pasadena

Obsolete
    Making them both from scratch would be quite easy. Don't even bother putting in runs for all the unused components.

bbno4
    Hi Giskard
    Thank you very much, do you mean that the HF 12-16466 card is no need to do any action? And since i know nothing about electronic, so it's still a problem for me to modify the 12-16467 card

Obsolete
    The HF12-16466 card could be done two ways.

The simplest way would be to employ an RC filter using a very high quality capacitor. The capacitor value would be 0.0062 microfarads (uF) and the resistor value would be 10.7k ohms.

The more difficult (but doable) way would be to modify the card for biased capacitors. The 0.0062 uF capacitor would then be replaced with a 0.015uF and a 0.011uF in series with each other with their joining point connected to the 4.7M ohm resistor. You could take the voltage feed to the other end of the 4.7M ohm resistor from the voltage feed on the LF card.

I personally would try the simple way first using the best capacitor I could find and see how it sounded.

As for doing all this work... do you know a reputable electronics technician in your area?

If you do go through with this, don't just mod the cards, pop them in, and turn "everything" on. Have a voltage drive run on the network first. I would be inclined to test the network with an inexpensive transducer as well before hooking it into your primary system.

Thread Information