Thread: Receiver suggestions?

mfueroid

Receiver suggestions?

Greetings,

Once again, a pair of Lancer 77 speakers that I originally purchased in 1977 are in my hands. I would like to use these in my basement just for FM and CDs. Can someone recommend a reasonably cheap but adequate receiver for these? (I originally ran these with a Dynaco power amp and preamp.)

Thanks

clmrt
    Lots of people like tubes on those, but buying an old cheap tube amp will cost you in maintenance and worry.

Something new?

Maybe a Tripath-based receiver, but I really don't have any experience.

Perhaps a used NAD?

If you go onto A'gon right now, there are several vintage receivers that would suit, I'm sure. I've used a Marantz 2220B on L26's to good effect. Since the 77's are likely a better speaker, perhaps that $200 2230 would be a good match.

The SX-680 looks nice for the $$, too.

No affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by mfueroid View Post
    Greetings,

Once again, a pair of Lancer 77 speakers that I originally purchased in 1977 are in my hands. I would like to use these in my basement just for FM and CDs. Can someone recommend a reasonably cheap but adequate receiver for these? (I originally ran these with a Dynaco power amp and preamp.)

Thanks
    I have an absolutely pristine Marantz 2230 (with factory clear plastic over the face and wood case) AND am in Portland, too. If interested, PM me. TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Those Marantz receivers are nice

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have an absolutely pristine Marantz 2230 (with factory clear plastic over the face and wood case) AND am in Portland, too. If interested, PM me. TOM
    I was about to suggest a nice vintage Marantz receiver. They were/are nice! My very first (true component) amplifier was a Marantz model 1030, I got it whe I was 13 years old. I still have it and it still works (I think!).

I have 4 sytems in my house and yet I'm still very tempted whenever I look at the vintage Marantz stuff on eBay. In fact, I have one on my watch list right now! But where would I put it?

Good luck and godspeed!

Peter

Thread Information