Thread: 'Got some JBL's for PA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RIP 2009

'Got some JBL's for PA

I know this isn't JBL home hi-fi use, but for the last several months I've been collecting the parts to put together a pair of speakers for my part-time band to use for PA. I already have a set of MR-922's, (12" w/horn), but they were always being pushed to the edge, (we play Rock n' Roll and Rhythm n' Blues). So I'd gathered a pair of 15" 2226H's, 1.5" 2447J HF drivers, and 2381 horns. My plan was to put them in the smallest physical size cabinet I could, (LF extension not hugely important).

Anyway, it turns out JBL had already done this with these exact components, the SP215-9. I'd never seen a pair, but a set recently turned up on eBay. Since I could literally end up having more invested in building my own, (after adding crossovers, wood, TIME, etc.), I decided to follow these.

I ended up being the high bidder, and price was under $1000 delivered, including tripod stands! 'Just got them today and checked them out - they work great, and are truly in mint condition! (They came from a church!) 'A little heavy at 84 lbs each, ('sorry - I can't afford SRX715's), but they'd probably weigh more if I built them myself.

They have a passive crossover, but are also biampable. For now, I'll probably run them passive with a JBL MPA-600 amp, but I also have the stuff to biamp if I want.

Anyway, here's a pic - you can see they literally couldn't have been made smaller! (What looks like a "creased" grille is just a shadow - the grilles are curved.)

'Anyone need any of the raw drivers I mentioned?

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information