Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Hear A Decent DJ Sound System?

majick47

Ever Hear A Decent DJ Sound System?

Gone to wedding receptions, retirement parties etc and not much of a chance of seeing/hearing a live band these days so it's the DJ. Usually it's a pair of cheap 15" woofer/horn speakers mounted on poles cranked past the distortion point. Made the mistake one time of sitting at a table too close and had to retreat, it was painful. After being on LH for a while I know there has to be better sounding speakers/amps/mixers/cd players and possibly even turntables that the DJs could use that would sound something closer to what I have at home. Maybe some of our LH sound reinforcement members could make some suggestions to all those DJs out there who don't have a clue as to what a decent sound system should be.

DJ stuff - it's not always the DJ

The last wedding I was at - it was in December - the DJ used JBL's similar to what you mention with a large Crown amp, no subs, minimal EQ, DJ CD player, minimal lighting (a disco ball). The sound was OK because it wasn't blasting, but was far from being very good and not close to excellent. Having spoken to the DJ, he was not allowed in the building beforehand to see the layout and "check" the sound quality of the room, so based on the description given him, he brought what he thought was a good fit.
    Never been to a retirement party, we die at work here in WNY!
    Guy in WNY

Oh hell yeah there really is!

But, the GOOD DJ gear, just like any other good gear is EXPENSIVE! Mobile set ups are usually small two speaker self powered Mackie, Yorkville, JBL or EAW affairs sometimes even JBL EONS!
    And they, ( mobile DJ,s ) concentrate on portability, and weight, AND small AC power draw. How many reception halls have an AC distro to provide a system with 100 or 200 amps of current?

Now, if you came to my place you could see and hear the DJ/Nightclub gear, alot from the past, but, you cant move my stuff around, youll need a semi, and a crew. Im running 12 amplifiers, have great EQ,s great xovers, turntables, CD players, A laptop and Serrato for DJing download files like records! A dedicated 200 amp AC service just for the sound. ALL JBL and Altec speakers.

I use an old Urei 1620 mixer/preamp, its great, also have my old Bozaks, yeah, Bozak made a great DJ mixer, all discrete very good sound.

Many clubs spend HUGE money on sound systems, portable mobile DJ,s dont usually have fantastic stuff. So, if you want to hear what an incredible DJ system sounds like you have to go to a club known for their sound, or come to my place!

scottyj

But, your not going to get small mobile wedding DJ,s to spend $30 or 40 grand for sound.

And mobile guys want small and lightweight. I have freinds that do this work, they switched from older Crest and QSC amps, to lightweight switching amps from QSC, they will tell you, the older heavy amps sounded better, but they dont miss the weight!

There are a couple of specialty mobile DJ,s that specialize in having super sound, but they are EXPENSIVE, too!

Price commensurate with size of system.
    scottyj

is that at the business or at home.ive heard some really good pro setups and toyed with the idea of going that way myself.most however seem to favor the cerwin vega route and its like fingernails on chalkboards to me.the local bar uses that kind of stuff saturdays for karaoke and i have to leave or id be doing a charles whitman

My system resides at the buisiness, you couldnt run it in a house type living room. Way too big.

Sixteen JBL 2402

Six JBL 2404

Six JBL 2395/2441

Six double 15in Altec VOTT, being TAD loaded this year.

Four 18in W Bin subs.

Four double 18in scoops JBL 2240 loaded.

Four double 18in ported Widgets, JBL 2242 loaded.

You got a room big enough for MEEEEEEE?
    scottyj

There are some superlative installed systems in clubs, i.e. ones that JBL has consulted on. They have been dialed in big time.
    Most portable DJ's suck, but there are some very good ones. A sub sat system using high end gear works well, but is still heavy. Depends on the room size. Good LF is essential.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Now, if you came to my place you could see and hear the DJ/Nightclub gear, alot from the past

John

is it practical to go after hours and play without all the distractions.i can feel the mad scientist in me cackling diabolically while pulling down the lever

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Good LF is essential.
    For dance music, its imperative to have SUPER bottom end, but bottom can get expensive, weight becomes an issue, and AC power available is also an issue.

Clubs built for sound, well, they have what they need.

For mobile guys, good subs are usually alot heavier, and bigger than they want to move around, then, and even still today, a great sub bass amp with hefty power output usually requires its own 20 or 30 amps outlet.

How many catering halls have serious AC for entertainers to use?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post

John
    You know me, John? I am a worthless hoe!

I know, I know, I should have had pics up already, if I only sit down to figure out how!

scottyj

You hit a nerve! Nice post Majick.

I service DJ's speaker all the time and it's the same problem. Entry level stuff driven beyond it's means. The Big Box music stores pump this stuff out to these guys....weekend warriors... that have no experience with a sound system...and then I get to hear the woes: ..."but the salesman said these handle a thousand watts, and the amp has the same power! The system is all matched up! WTF?!....I didn't do it!!!

After I tell them that their entry level JBL TR, SF, JRX series owner's manual has a section about distortion/amp clipping....they usually don't read it until after they've visited me and I tell them the damage is not a defect, but user error and/or abuse...and it's not a warranty issue. It's akin to redlining your car in first gear and blowing the engine....it's not the engines fault.

The only problem here is that there is too much cheap stuff on the market, and when given the choice, the newfound DJ talent will opt to spend as little as possible on his system. Unfortunately this is now the norm.....absolute crap sound by unknowledgable people being paid as "professionals".

I'm sure this is only limited to the sound industry.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

majick47

DJ Sound Systems

Scotty next time I'm in NYC I'll be by to hear your system and I'm sure it will be an experience. Years gone by when I was hitting the clubs I have fond memories of killer sound systems and as Skotty said the bass was what made the difference. Had to be JBL 18" woofers to sound/feel that good.

I like when the salesman tells the novice user/DJ that having more power than the speakers rating is the proper way, and you only blow speakers when you dont have enough power.

So, they buy the 1800wpc monster amp, and they go out and do their job, and they PUSH the amp for all its got, and wonder why they blew the speakers. 700 watt rated speakers will only take 1800 watts continuosly for but so long.

So, when they go back to Sam Ash, Guitar Center, or wherever, now you NEED a limiter, so they sell you even more gear.

But, seriously, shopping for a DJ for your affair is like shopping for anything, you have to do your research and shop around. There really are professional mobile DJ,s and mobile DJ companies that can provide good sound, and good lighting, even video and plasma screens. But, like anything, the better they are, the more they cost!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    Scotty next time I'm in NYC I'll be by to hear your system and I'm sure it will be an experience. Years gone by when I was hitting the clubs I have fond memories of killer sound systems and as Skotty said the bass was what made the difference. Had to be JBL 18" woofers to sound/feel that good.
    Ill be here.

scottyj

Thread Information