Thread: Date codes 288

Date codes 288

Howdy All,

I'm rescuing a number of 288s (and 1 Lansing 220v) from a barn. The labels are pretty much gone from the out side of the drivers so I'm wondering if there any marks or stamps to look for that may reveal a clue to the date.

288 #1 is one of the newer 288's has on its flange mounting surface [391842] [8123] and [AI/75]

I'm thinking it's a 1975 by the AI over 75 mark, but I'm probably wrong.

The Lansing is a 220v so its gotta be old as dirt with a three digit serial number.
    The other had a warehousing tag and written on the sides of the 210 cabs is 1954.

Horn Flares weigh a ton.

All the cone drivers look as if you didn't use glue to assemble them.
    I'll be posting pics real so.
    Any help would be welcomed.
    Thanks
    Old Blind Jim

I have dreams of finding a barn full of old Harleys, now I'll have to include speakers, too...

Your 391842 number is the date code, 391 being the mfr code identifying Altec, 842 being the date identifier. The AI/75 mark sounds like the QC inspection stamp.

Mechanically attached, phenolic spiders ARE old.

Go ahead and post the pix, if Steve Schell notices and has time, you'll get the correct lowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    I have dreams of finding a barn full of old Harleys, now I'll have to include speakers, too...

Your 391842 number is the date code, 391 being the mfr code identifying Altec, 842 being the normal location for a date identifier. The AI/75 mark sounds like the QC inspection stamp.

Mechanically attached, phenolic spiders ARE old.

Go ahead and post the pix, if Steve Schell notices and has time, you'll get the correct lowdown.
    Thanks for the info and now that you pointed it out, the date on this driver is date 42nd week of 1968 or 1958, hmmmmm

I'll get some pics up here real soon. Now where's my Brownie at.

Old Blind Jim

Your 220V driver is probably a Lansing 284, 285 or 287. It is worth quite a bit in any condition. I collect these and would be interested should you decide to sell it. Alternately, I can help you diagnose its condition, get it set up to run, etc. It is a rare driver, an ancestor of the Altecs.

We can help more with the 288s if you provide some pictures. These are generally dated more from their model variations than from serial numbers or date codes.

Sounds like you have some tar filled multicellular horns.. pictures please. Be careful moving these as they are easily damaged. They are worth quite a bit, especially if in good shape and equipped with their original brass throat adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Your 220V driver is probably a Lansing 284, 285 or 287. It is worth quite a bit in any condition. I collect these and would be interested should you decide to sell it. Alternately, I can help you diagnose its condition, get it set up to run, etc. It is a rare driver, an ancestor of the Altecs.

We can help more with the 288s if you provide some pictures. These are generally dated more from their model variations than from serial numbers or date codes.

Sounds like you have some tar filled multicellular horns.. pictures please. Be careful moving these as they are easily damaged. They are worth quite a bit, especially if in good shape and equipped with their original brass throat adapters.
    Hi Steve,

I'll put a inventory list together and some pics as a PDF file and post a link.

11.8 ohms across the Dia. and 2.5K across the 220

A little dirty from settin' the the barn.

3 of these(below) and 2 of the newer non tar. So far all read good but I have to still sweep them with LMS and 6 have cloth seals. Scares me to death when I opened one. Old man shakes you know.

Thanks for your interest, I'll post in a couple of days.

Old Blind Jim

Hi Jim,

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the pictures.

The 287 driver began in the Lansing Manufacturing Company era; I have seen at least one with the metal Lansing nameplate. Altec Lansing was formed in late 1941, and your driver was probably built in 1942 or 1943. Your readings are typical for a healthy driver. 220VDC was the standard field voltage of the Lansing and Altec Lansing field coil type Shearer Horn systems. These early drivers did not have a pop-in diaphragm assembly; the top plate/diaphragm/rear cover assembly was exchanged with the factory.

The horn looks like it may be an H-1005, or maybe a (larger) H-1003. These horns used the Lansing dark blue gray paint color until around the end of WWII, when, as the story goes, great quantities of surplus gray paint became available.

The Altec 288 and 288B drivers used the "shoelace" gasket on the rear cover. If you can find any decal remnants on them we might be able to narrow it down further. Most 288s from 1945 to 1947 used a red, white and blue decal.

Hi Jim,

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the pictures.

The 287 driver began in the Lansing Manufacturing Company era; I have seen at least one with the metal Lansing nameplate. Altec Lansing was formed in late 1941, and your driver was probably built in 1942 or 1943. Your readings are typical for a healthy driver. 220VDC was the standard field voltage of the Lansing and Altec Lansing field coil type Shearer Horn systems. These early drivers did not have a pop-in diaphragm assembly; the top plate/diaphragm/rear cover assembly was exchanged with the factory.

The horn looks like it may be an H-1005, or maybe a (larger) H-1003. These horns used the Lansing dark blue gray paint color until around the end of WWII, when, as the story goes, great quantities of surplus gray paint became available.

The Altec 288 and 288B drivers used the "shoelace" gasket on the rear cover. If you can find any decal remnants on them we might be able to narrow it down further. Most 288s from 1945 to 1947 used a red, white and blue decal.
    Found two decals Orange or Yellow

And the horns are 10 cells dual throat. Dark Blue Gray

Two others are 15 cell non-tar Gray
    I also found a storage tag with date of June 1954 on it.

I found a 8 cell 60 degree tar flare (long) but the throat is missing. Maybe someone out there might have a or make throats

I'll be back

O B Jimmy

Those yellow and gray decals were used beginning in 1946 or 1947. I have seen other 288Bs like yours with the B written in by hand. Looks to me like all of your drivers may be late 1940s vintage.

The original 515 woofer used a phenolic spider. The cone assembly was replaceable with hand tools, no glue was used. I think this is the way a good speaker should be made, but they only made them this way until the early 1950s.

The eight cell (4 x 2) 803 and 805 horns used the #30162 single driver throat. There was an 804 horn designed for a double driver Y throat; it used the #30172 throat. The throats supplied with the tar filled horns were solid brass, though the later aluminum throats (same part numbers)will also work with them. Sound contractors and vintage dealers often have spare throats, and they often show up on ebay.

http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/multicell.4.jpg

You made a good score on this stuff Jimmy. It's all worth quite a bit of dough these days- just have a look on ebay.

The eight cell (4 x 2) 803 and 805 horns used the #30162 single driver throat. There was an 804 horn designed for a double driver Y throat; it used the #30172 throat. The throats supplied with the tar filled horns were solid brass, though the later aluminum throats (same part numbers)will also work with them.
    Think you can find a fix for this one?

I look all over the lot for the rest of it. I'm going back over there right now and start digging in the piles of stuff.

O B Jimmy

That looks like a tough repair job. That horn evidently sustained an impact that knocked the brass throat casting loose. If you can find the part it could probably be soldered back in place, but otherwise...

I wish I was going with you- happy digging.

Howdy all,
    I'm going to continue this wild adventure under another forum category.

I just came from "The Yard" and found I was in a tomb with all its treasures, intact. Altec, JBL, McIntosh, and on and on.

I have no idea of their conditions but he said that the tiles on the roof shook when he had it up one day. He said the JBLs cost over 3500 each back in there day!

How Blind Jim feels now!

It will take awhile to categorize everything so bear with me.
    What category should I go to anyway?

O B Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlindJim View Post
    ...snip...How Blind Jim feels now!

It will take awhile to categorize everything so bear with me.
    What category should I go to anyway?

O B Jim
    Kitty needs a cigar...

If for sale, the respective "marketplace" category for the item(s) brand(s).

For discussion/info, where you're at's fine.

You've chosen a cool monicker, but don't be surprised if you get nicked as Indiana Jones or some such...

(And I'll bet Steve was really serious about wanting to go with...)

Thread Information