Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newby to the Group

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlindJim View Post
    That was the late 70's and here's a link to the page with a pic. http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...home/page2.jpg

and spec from Techrob
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L220%20ts.pdf

4 way I believe.

OB Jim

Clever...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    ...and thank you for the honest explanation of your intentions. Many here are tired of having their chains jerked by lazy, hit-and-run eBay pigs.
    Yes, I too was tired of having my chain jerked, so I came here. The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members".

New guy - Stick to eBay, at least there you can file complaints and stuff if you don't get your gear. Here, you apparently have no recourse for items unsent.

herbs

Quote Originally Posted by herbman75 View Post
    Yes, I too was tired of having my chain jerked, so I came here. The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members".

New guy - Stick to eBay, at least there you can file complaints and stuff if you don't get your gear. Here, you apparently have no recourse for items unsent.

herbs
    I have an idea of how it can be fair and safe for all. Stay tuned.

OL Jim

herbs
    "Senior member" its a title the forum software adds automagically when you hit 100 posts - it is no guarantee of honesty, lucidity, or quality.

C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character.

THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shaming
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The chain is being jerked harder than ever, as I am out $250 and have given up all hope of ever seeing my speakers from one of this forums "senior members".
    "herbs"...

Note that "Senior Member", like any other moniker, can be self attributed, as in your "ToNeDeF" choice. If left to "default" mode it indicates number of posts - however, it does not, by itself, indicate anything other than that. It certainly is nothing like the "Feedback" scheme on eBay (though not flawless, is mostly useful).

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character. THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shaming
    There is that option, if you cannot sort things out. I'd do so in the Marketplace area where this misunderstanding may have originated.

I have an idea of how it can be fair and safe for all. Stay tuned.
    What are you talking about?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I'm guessing escrow...

John

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    "What are you talking about?
    I've been a EBayer long enough to see how bad things could get.
    I'm working on a way to keep transactions from going astray.

I'm not a hit and run type guy and I have a lot to sell so keeping everyone happy is Number One in my book. I will show how and what I'm testing before it's released for sell and I will ask for help to ID items. That way everyone will see what it is and its condition.

What I'll do is to continue at Market Place, soon with a possible plan. Yes it will involve EBay but with a twist to make it fair for the group and a way to use the services that Ebay and Paypal offer. Look for member oldblindjim at ebay and So see you at Market Place when I announce a plan for approval.

Your feedback will be welcomed.

OB Jim

Your feedback will be welcomed.
    Interesting. I'm sure many here will appreciate a clever solution.

Were it me selling, I'd always direct the buyers to eBay - use "Marketplace" merely for announcement. "WTB" presents a problem, in-that the auction must go public on eBay, and if for a dear item, could result in the WTB dood getting nothing. Maybe your solution has a workaround for that?

eBay is not perfect, as we know, but it does offer some recourse. Perfect is honest buyers/sellers. Some of my biggest transactions (purchases) started on eBay but ended in "cancelled" auctions transacted outside the system, no PayPal. Honesty works best...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RKLee, the H-1505 horns are not the rarest of the tar filled horns; they are actually among the more frequently found ones. Their value is up due to higher demand than for most of the multis. I think the 1505 has become so popular due to Jean Hiraga championing their use for many years. From pictures I have seen, his appear to be the later B series horns with fibrous material stuffed between the cells.

The most rare tar filled horns are the ones that were produced by Lansing Mfg. Co. for the first year or two beginning in 1935. They were built with construction details similar to E.C. Wente's original multicellular horns as built by Bell Labs for use in the Fletcher Horn System of 1933. These horns do not have spacers between the cell mouths; the mouth edges fit tightly together. Also, the cells are curved to become parallel in the throat section. Here is a picture of one of these horns:

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/.../805-front.jpg

So far I have managed to collect three 805s and one 803 of this type. I have my eye on a 1203 owned by a friend... only problem is that it probably weighs 150 lbs. and is in Australia! The earliest RCA multis were also built this way, except that they were stuffed with fibrous material instead of tar.

Bob Stephens was in charge of constructing the original Shearer Horn multis at MGM before he left them to begin the company that became Stephens Tru-sonic. One rumor I've heard is that Stephens built horns for Lansing and others in the early days. It is possible that this is true; the early Lansings and RCAs look like they might have been built by the same hands.

Another rarity is the model H-1508, a 15 cell, 800Hz. horn. I have a pair of these with built in throats that fit the Lansing 284 and 285 threaded mount drivers. I've never seen any others, although there is a listing for a H-1508 with detachable throat adapter in the 1943 Altec Lansing catalog.

How many?

You have that many Lansing products that you need to set up a Store Front? wow

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikezcar View Post
    You have that many Lansing products that you need to set up a Store Front? wow

Mike
    I have been a fan of Lansing for a long time. I may not know as much as some of you, but I do get chills when I’m confronted by an old breathing pair of loudspeakers with his name on them. To imagine the effort to produce the early examples drives me crazy.

I would like to put back this artifact I’ve found to people who would be the most likely to restore them and bring life back to their voice. That’s all

In short, there will be some very happy fans of Lansing. One day I’ll join you and build again a set of A7.

OB Jim

I too am new and I just want to say this is a very nice site. I picked up a set of L40's recently and have been reading through this site extensively ever since.

Keep up the good work!
    "You Eeeeediot!" Ren Hoek

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

C'mon, Name names - or is it ok if others get burned by such a character.

THATS the recourse - public humiliation ... public shaming
    yeah,what she said!unless you'll feel better if one of us gets hosed too....

Thread Information