Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby to the Group

Newby to the Group

Howdy all,
    I've been watching and reading for sometime and like a lot of you " It doesn't have to be new to be Great" and its still one of my train of thoughts.

Now I have friends that are starting to let their prizes go. So I'll be spending most of my time in the Marketplace forum. I'll be asking question about the Lansing product they are letting go. I just want to make sure of what it is and how to ID they're loudspeaker systems. Most if not all will be offered here and some on Ebay.

So thanks you for letting me be right and watch for me at the marketplace forum.

I love the stuff.

I was very poor so my first setup was two A7 I built myself, a 15 watt tube mono preamp/amp and a ReK-O-Cut turntable in 1967. It was Boss, Far out and Loud!!

Thanks
    Old Blind Jim

Welcome, fellow Altec lover.

You will enjoy this forum, trust me.

Aside from politics, it's a great wealth of information and fellow vintage JBL and Altec enthusiasts.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlindJim View Post
    Howdy all,
    I've been watching and reading for sometime and like a lot of you " It doesn't have to be new to be Great" and its still one of my train of thoughts.

Now I have friends that are starting to let their prizes go. So I'll be spending most of my time in the Marketplace forum. I'll be asking question about the Lansing product they are letting go. I just want to make sure of what it is and how to ID they're loudspeaker systems. Most if not all will be offered here and some on Ebay.

So thanks you for letting me be right and watch for me at the marketplace forum.

I love the stuff.

I was very poor so my first setup was two A7 I built myself, a 15 watt tube mono preamp/amp and a ReK-O-Cut turntable in 1967. It was Boss, Far out and Loud!!

Thanks
    Old Blind Jim

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    welcome aboard!

DIY seems to be a common trait round here....

...and thank you for the honest explanation of your intentions. Many here are tired of having their chains jerked by lazy, hit-and-run eBay pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    ...and thank you for the honest explanation of your intentions. Many here are tired of having their chains jerked by lazy, hit-and-run eBay pigs.

Hey...................oh, nevermind.

How come you aren't fishing moldy?

Quote Originally Posted by www.records View Post
    Hey...................oh, nevermind.

How come you aren't fishing moldy?
    Post cold front. Picking morels instead. Got a nice mess this AM.

OldBlindJim: Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

You built two A7s? That is quite feat, that was beyond my woodworking skills, I just built a square box with butt-joints using 2 Altec 414 12" woofers, 811 horn, 806 compression driver, and EV T350 super tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by RKLee View Post
    OldBlindJim: Welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

You built two A7s? That is quite feat, that was beyond my woodworking skills, I just built a square box with butt-joints using 2 Altec 414 12" woofers, 811 horn, 806 compression driver, and EV T350 super tweeter.
    IT WAS!! but Kurt's dad was quite the teacher. He'd show us how to cut it up and made us do it. The second two were a lot easier. Back then we use what ever we could find. Utah 15's from Sparky's Ele. and World's biggest Atlas paging horns and a CAP for the xover. Scary and loud! After awhile things got a lot better. They sold the cinema in town and I the xovers and the 15 cell horns with 288 and 515(?) and then I sold them to a....a....I can't remember? Why? why? So young and without a mind! Sad. Maybe my mom had them towed away while I was past out!

OB Jim

PS: They were in my bed room! "In the God-of-da-Veda" Ya, i think?

I love the stuff.
    Howdy there, 'er, Jim...

Have you any experience with the L220...?
    A friend was asking me about them. I don't know the L220, but wondered if you or your friends do.

Thanks.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Howdy there, 'er, Jim...

Have you any experience with the L220...?
    A friend was asking me about them. I don't know the L220, but wondered if you or your friends do.

Thanks.
    That was the late 70's and here's a link to the page with a pic. http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...home/page2.jpg

and spec from Techrob
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L220%20ts.pdf

4 way I believe.

OB Jim

They sold the cinema in town and I the xovers and the 15 cell horns with 288 and 515(?) and then I sold them to a....a....I can't remember? Why? why? So young and without a mind! Sad. Maybe my mom had them towed away while I was past out!

OB Jim
    OldBlindJim:
    Oh my God! You actually threw away some Altec 1505 horns? I bet they were even more valuable because they were probably the older tar-filled ones. I just found out that the 1505s are the rarest of the Altec multi-cell horns and probably tar-filled to boot, and they are worth HUGE bucks today. Ahhhh.... some of the things we did when you're young and stupid.

I built my Altecs circa 1975-76, and then I lost interest. I recently "woke up" from my "audio slumber" and found the the audio landscape has changed dramatically. I was familiar with audio in the days prior to the introduction of the 5150 IBM PC. And today, there are sophisticated speaker design sim software and instrumentation that was only available in engineering labs at Altec and JBL back then.

Check out the discussions and comments of Altec multi-cell horns here: IPC VOTT OMG......

BTW: We are showing our age. I haven't heard that song since the early 1970s, and lately I recently decided to set up my old audo equipment. I actually played "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly on my old Dual 1209 a few weeks ago, and my 19 year old daughter comes by and says "hey I've heard that song," and I go WTF!(I was truly surprised) really? It was on the Simpson's TV show. Go figure, the show's creator Matt Groenig must be from our generation.

If you folks are interested in legacy Altec horns, there are a few discussion threads on them at former Altec employee Todd White's Unofficial Altec Message Board,
    , I invite everyone to pop on over and have "a look see."

Iron Butteryfly?

That's the one where Bart switches the music on the organ at church and gets everyone to sing along. "In the garden of Evil....."
    At the end of the song the organist collapses onto the organ and everybody has a BIC lighter up in the air. I think the church catches on fire and burns to the ground?

Good song anyway - one of the original "DRONE" tunes.
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by RKLee View Post
    OldBlindJim:
    Oh my God! You actually threw away some Altec"
    Yep Yep Yep!!!! Will, I truly can't remember what happen to them....Really!

Thanks for links. I'll go check it out.

OB Jim

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Quote Originally Posted by Guy in WNY View Post
    That's the one where Bart switches the music on the organ at church and gets everyone to sing along. "In the garden of Evil....."
    At the end of the song the organist collapses onto the organ and everybody has a BIC lighter up in the air. I think the church catches on fire and burns to the ground?

Good song anyway - one of the original "DRONE" tunes.
    Yep, the same. I remember seeing that episode but don't rememeber what exactly transpired; the fog of old age, "memory is the 2nd thing to go because I forgot what the first was."

From Wikipedia:
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    (One of the band members died from a cardiac at 53)

Thread Information