Thread: dimpled woofer

dimpled woofer

hey,
    does anyone know if a dimple in the center of the woofer cone affectes the sound. i just bought a pair of 4312s and, like a idiot, i did not notice the cone issue, i was so happy with the overall condition of the rest of the set. does it matter? can it be fixed w/o a recone?
    thanks,
    co

Quote Originally Posted by chowens View Post
    hey,
    does anyone know if a dimple in the center of the woofer cone affectes the sound. i just bought a pair of 4312s and, like a idiot, i did not notice the cone issue, i was so happy with the overall condition of the rest of the set. does it matter? can it be fixed w/o a recone?
    thanks,
    co
    Post a picture so we can see what you are talking about.

If you are talking about the dust cap --- middle of the woofer --- then yes, overall sound is affected and it can be gently pulled back out.

Or, is it a dent near the center?

Post a picture and we can help you...

-Storm.

hey,
    thanks,
    co

I have fixed this issue with packing tape. Apply it gently so as not to push the D/C in anymore, and pull qwik. Should fix it pretty easy as long as it is not pushed into far. It will probably not be picture perfect, but at least it will be popped back out.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Tape work great!

That is also what we used to do to them when one got pushed in. It will work just fine.
    Guy in WNY

hey,
    can it be fixed w/o a recone?
    Tape works sometimes. For the more stubborn ones, you might try this (at your own risk):

Get out your industrial vacuum (Shop Vac), an extension, and a soft, thin cloth.

Pick a hose extension roughly the size of the dustcap's diameter if you can. Wrap the thin cloth around the end of the hose extension and secure it so it doesn't get sucked up when you turn it on (you want to make a gentle barrier between the dustcap and the extension so as not to mar the cone/cap).
    With one hand carfefully holding the hose extension, place it on the dustcap so that it just makes contact. Hold it there as securely as you can. Now with the other hand, flick the power switch on then immediately off in less than one second. The trick is to not pull on the cone- you just want to pull on the cap- very very quickly. It may take several "bursts" of power to get it to come out. You may also need to slightly increase the amount of time "on" until it is just enough to pull out the cap. A steady pair of hands is an absolute. This technique works on nearly every pushed in cap I have encountered, but it can be risky.

Worst case scenario- you can simply replace the dustcap (providing a replacement is available?). Take it to a JBL recone shop to make sure it is done properly. It's cheaper than a recone.

Nate.

Thread Information