Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a Subwoofer. How to get it to work.

Got a Subwoofer. How to get it to work.

Hi.

Ive just purchased at JBL W12GTI MK2 subwoofer. Any ideas if this will work in a home setup? I prefer a sealed enclosure to keep size down.

Suggestions and opinions are welcommed

Best Regards Tim

clmrt
    Looks like 1.9 cubic feet for a Q of .7...

100db max at 20Hz, 114 @ 100

This is from WinISD, and probably does not include room gain.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i have run simulations in various programs. But i wonder if anyone have some real-life experience with it. I want a precise bass with good punch and lots of headroom.

Best regards Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes i have run simulations in various programs. But i wonder if anyone have some real-life experience with it. I want a precise bass with good punch and lots of headroom.

Best regards Tim
    Tim,
    I'm getting ready to load up a pair of the W15GTI-MKII's with a Adcom GFA-5802 3ohm load per channel. They will be loaded in my end tables. I will be posting pics of the endeavor next week. I will let you know the outcome from a sound quality standpoint.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Great! this is what i wanna hear

Hope youll be satisfied with your project. Im considering a Crown CTs3000, Combinded with a Behringer ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496 Active crossover with parametric EQ. Does this sound like a good combo? Im thinking about running the sub at 3ohms with the amp bridged with a mixed mono signal from the crossover.

Best regards Tim

Will that amp operate at a 1.5 ohm load? Because if you bridge into a 3ohm that that is what she will see.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Oops....i formulated me wrong. Im of course gonna send the same input signal to both channels, and use one channel on each VC. So the load it will see pr. channel will be 6 ohms

so not bridged...more like a paralell......hm...not sure what to call it.

Best regards Tim

Dual mono with summed input....

Oops....i formulated me wrong. Im of course gonna send the same input signal to both channels, and use one channel on each VC. So the load it will see pr. channel will be 6 ohms

so not bridged...more like a paralell......hm...not sure what to call it.

Best regards Tim

No No No!!!

These are not your typical dual voice coil woofer!!!

That's not the way these were designed to work at all!

The same channel should feed both voice coils that are then run out of phase to each other. When the cone goes to the extremes of its extension, the opposite phase coil acts as a dampner and pushes it back.

I run mine connected for 12 ohms as I don't think that even my Crown PSA-XH would much like a 3 ohm load in bridge mode.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    No No No!!!

The same channel should feed both voice coils that are then run out of phase to each other. When the cone goes to the extremes of its extension, the opposite phase coil acts as a dampner and pushes it back.

I run mine connected for 12 ohms as I don't think that even my Crown PSA-XH would much like a 3 ohm load in bridge mode.
    Yep, page five of the owners manual tells all. L@@ks like your gonna need two, to run both channels of the Crown Monster amp. You can print the manual from the site if you did not get one with the driver.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Hi. I see your point, but what's the difference. When you put the same mono signal into both voicecoils it shouldnt matter if you use one or two channels on the amplifier. Or am i totally wrong here.

I totally agree with you if you thought i was going to run a stereo signal into it.

Best regards Tim

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    No No No!!!

They were designed to run in a mono configuration only. That means single power input/single channel, as toddalin stated above they do not function like a normal DVC driver. To utilize both channels of the amp you will need two woofers, or get a true Mono Block single output amp.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Hm.....I still dont see the difference. Why is it different to run both VC's on a single channel VS. using one VC on each channel, assuming the output of the 2 channels are the same? As far as i can see the 2 VC's then are fed the exactly same signal, and the DDD should function as it was intended. Im now assuming that the 2 VC's on the woofer are similar only phase shifted 180 degrees.

If it is really the case that this wont work, ill use it Bridged into 12ohm, wich should be a 6 ohm load for the amplifier.

Best regards Tim

Hm.....I still dont see the difference. Why is it different to run both VC's on a single channel VS. using one VC on each channel, assuming the output of the 2 channels are the same? As far as i can see the 2 VC's then are fed the exactly same signal, and the DDD should function as it was intended. Im now assuming that the 2 VC's on the woofer are similar only phase shifted 180 degrees.

If it is really the case that this wont work, ill use it Bridged into 12ohm, wich should be a 6 ohm load for the amplifier.

Best regards Tim
    Yes, think of it as a single speaker. It is either a 3ohm driver or a 12ohm driver. The safe way to run it is 12ohm, and bridge the amp into that, then you are back to a 6ohm load. Or join the 2fer club, and run two at 3ohms, mono signal input.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

JBL 4645

Thread Information