Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another bad refoam? (L100T)

Another bad refoam? (L100T)

So with all this talk about bad refoams lately...

Is the attached yet another case of a bad refoam??

I had this done at the local JBL Authorized Service Center, um, so it should be correct. This was done long time ago (maybe 8 years or so).

Should I be that the local authorized shop did me wrong on this ?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DanMan; 03-13-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: cobwebs upstairs, and im new here

the foam IS on the front of the cone and I cant tell if there is no gasket around the frame or if the foam is on top like the L65. ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The surround foam pictured is mounted on the front. The grey neoprene like trim is just discernable from the grey surround so it does look like the surround is correctly glued to the frame and the trim glued on top of the surround.

IMHO, since JBL does not specify or give a procedure for refoaming (only reconing is JBL condoned), the refoamers, maybe even the JBL Authorized shops that do refoaming, seem to be on their own. Some, like OCS, have said there isn't any difference, ITO, and it is easier and faster to do, so the shops may have an incentive (or ignorance) to do it that way.

However, like Edgewound mentioned in the L65 thread, the concientious technician will do the refoam to look exactly factory (hopefully that also includes the right dustcap if shimming and putting them on in a similarly correct orientation (convex vs concave) if the driver had it that way.

Really, everything seems to boil down to how fast, how easy, etc. vs. correct and whether people will charge/pay for that level of service.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

color does look similar

but indeed the foam is on the correct side of the gasket... im not that much of a (where the idiot smiley icon) LOL.

i'll attach more pics to ascertain...

i have to be honest and say I didn't know the foam should be on the back of the woofer... (gaskets another thing altogether)

but regardless, this was done by the local JBL authorized shop, and it is indeed IMHO that they should do things right regardless. thats why i take things to the pros, oh man, im starting to
    Attached Images Attached Images   

for me , it is much easier to put the foam on the back , where it belongs....takes what ? 5 seconds more ? Also allows me to use more glue without the fear of getting messy on the front of the cone. cant understand why anyone wud consider it more difficult ?

If you look at it ...foam on the back supports the cone during movement while foam on the face has the cone trying to pull away from it.

I guess my question "Should I be that the local authorized shop did me wrong on this ?!?" is more on an ethical/moral basis and we could discuss that forever...

I just did a search on JBL's site for authorized service centers in Austin, and the place that was (and did these), is no longer, listed there .

Man I hate shoddy work, but I still feel bad for applauding.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I guess my question "Should I be that the local authorized shop did me wrong on this ?!?" is more on an ethical/moral basis and we could discuss that forever...

I just did a search on JBL's site for authorized service centers in Austin, and the place that was (and did these), is no longer, listed there .

Man I hate shoddy work, but I still feel bad for applauding.
    We all on this forum seem to agree on the orientation of the foam, BUT not everyone outside the forum agrees on this. Shoddy , unethical , immoral ?? probably not. You wouldnt win that one in court.
    Not to our collective way of thinking ? For sure . YES.

The LFs do work either way, and I dont think anyone could tell in a blind A/B test.

QUITE

Tidy for a bad job though

can anyone explain how all that dust accumulated on the top half of the woofer? () i would have expected it all to settle to the bottom half? quite embarassing, i've called in the french maid brigade ...!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    can anyone explain how all that dust accumulated on the top half of the woofer? () i would have expected it all to settle to the bottom half? quite embarassing, i've called in the french maid brigade ...!
    I would bet that the woofer was rotated when refoamed.

It's just unprofessional. No other way of putting it. Anyone, under normal circumstances (ie, dealing with an unmolested original woofer) who would install a surround like that, has NO right to call themselves a competent professional.

As for time/cost? A measly FIVE BUCKS would EASILY cover the additional time (if ANY) to do the job RIGHT. Is anyone SERIOUSLY contending that FIVE BUCKS per woofer would dissuade someone from having the job done the RIGHT way?

Heck, I don't even charge differently... I see no need to. A 2214H is an EASY refoam, compared to some...

Regards,
    Gordon.

pelly3s
    im with gordon on this its not a difficult thing to do, i dont ever charge extra for having to refoam on the back side of the woofer. if thats the way it came from the factory thats the way it should be done.

Just to be the devil's advocate here....sometimes the foam from the surround left on the back of the cone can be very hard to completely remove, especially a small diameter woofer such as yours. And if you don't get all of it off, the new surround will not seat nicely against the back of the cone,looking far worse in the long run. Your technician might have weighed the difference between possibly doing more damage to the cone by trying to remove all the foam, and doing a neat job of putting it on the front, putting the cone through far less trauma. As long as it is bonded securely and neatly, I really don't think there is any difference between the front or back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    Just to be the devil's advocate here....sometimes the foam from the surround left on the back of the cone can be very hard to completely remove, especially a small diameter woofer such as yours. And if you don't get all of it off, the new surround will not seat nicely against the back of the cone,looking far worse in the long run. Your technician might have weighed the difference between possibly doing more damage to the cone by trying to remove all the foam, and doing a neat job of putting it on the front, putting the cone through far less trauma. As long as it is bonded securely and neatly, I really don't think there is any difference between the front or back.
    Bullshit!!!!

The technician that does it that way is looking to cut corners. There is no excuse.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

LE10A refoam (lansalloy surround) was the only set I've had to spend much time on
    to get the old "foam" off of the cone... it's a much narrower surround than the 2214's
    I did and even the lansalloy wasn't really -that- much of a problem (other than with my
    patience). That said, it's not something I'd recommend just anyone to do on their own
    and there certainly are people out there who are willing to short-cut the effort required.

-grumpy

Thread Information