Thread: LSR6332 v LSR4328P

Thumbs up LSR6332 v LSR4328P

Hey guys, well I haven't had much luck selling my 4435's, but I did manage to audition both the LSR6332's and LSR4328p's today. I had to go to Sydney for a few days and had some time to kill, so I contacted Paul Tayar from Jands (the Australian importers of JBL pro). Paul with the help of his team were good enough to set up their demo room with both systems.
    Their demo room is pretty cool, there is plenty of treatment by way of curtains that surround the whole room. They use this room to demonsrate commercial theatre systems. The room appeared to be about 8 mtrs x 8 mtrs and the ceiling height was about 2.8mtrs.
    When I first spoke to Paul he sugested I listen to the LSR4328p's as well as the LSR6332's. None of the guys there had done a true A/B comparison of these systems, so I was very exited to say the least at his offer. It is easy to see why the crew at Jands are the leaders in the pro seen in Australia, they are so helpful and professional in their approach to client satisfaction.
    The systems; the cd player was was a pro Marantz and digitally connected to a pc then routed to the 4328p's, and for the 6332's the amp they used although not probably suited was a Crown it6000.
    I can see why the 4328P's get such good reviews from the recording industry, from the minute we started listening to the music I was amazed at how well balanced the sound was out of these things. They were really tuneful, controlled and filled the room with a very warm and inviting sound with plenty of bass extension.
    The imagary was very precise and there was a supprisingly large sound stage. These little suckers can play pretty loud too, I think we probably took them to 100db or more and they did it so easilly, I'm not sure if it was to do with the room but there was no hint of compression at all at high levels. The build quality looked much better than monitors of old from JBL and I liked the use of the carry handles. Unfortunately we didn't use the room correction mode with the 4328p's as 1 they sounded great without doing it and 2 I was really there to listen to the 6332's.
    I know the it6000 was not a very good choice of amp to drive the 6332's, it was all they had there at the moment to use in a demonstration. It took a little while to warm to the 6332's, they appeared very flat and lacked the exstended bass that I enjoy with my 4435's, and we all agreed the amp wasn't a good match. However after listening to a couple of previously played tracks with the 4328p's, it became very apparent why the 6332's are twice the price point of the 4328p's. We turned up the wick on the amp and boy did they come alive. Paul figured in the end we were using about 600 to 700 watts rms per channel into the 6332's.
    The sound stage was so expansive and detailed, there were notes I'm sure I've never heard when playing the same material on my 4435's. , the bottom end while not as deep as my 4435's was probably more detailed and perhaps can I say more accurate.When we pushed the speakers they became very dynamic and the shyness in the bass seemed to disappear.
    The mid bass and mid range were very detailed and the highs were very refined, and I'd doubt very much if you would get fatigued listening to them for extended periods. The sound is not as foward as say a L300 or 4435 for that matter, but if you sat in the right spot, you were emersed in the material something I don't really find with the 4435's.
    The sound is very much out of the boxes and if you closed your eyes it was very easy to define the sound stage and each instrument had its own place. The detail of all the instruments in each passage were so full and defined, everyone in the room commented on these points. I was listening to each of the instruments and was thinking I normaly don't do that, Its like I always think of the overall sound and not the individual instruments creating the mix. (does this make sense??) Remembering this was all through a touring amp with the fan noise of a car!! (no the amp didn't run hot he he).
    Like the 4328p's the 6332's showed no hint of compression, and I'm sure they could have delt with all the power the it6000 had to offer. The build quality like the 4328p's was great and they are very light for their size. I can't emagine what the 6332's would sound like with better electronics and dare I say a matching sub! Yes I am hooked, and yes I will be owning a pair.
    In a small room I believe the 4328p's would be very hard to beat, they are powered and have plenty of gadgets to tinker with, and we are all big on that. The 6332's yes may seem a little flat to some, but put them to work with plenty of power using the very best electronics, and a good sub will put you straight into audio navana I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mick c View Post
    Hey guys, well I haven't had much luck selling my 4435's, but I did manage to audition both the LSR6332's and LSR4328p's today. I had to go to Sydney for a few days and had some time to kill, so I contacted Paul Tayar from Jands (the Australian importers of JBL pro). Paul with the help of his team were good enough to set up their demo room with both systems.
    Their demo room is pretty cool, there is plenty of treatment by way of curtains that surround the whole room. They use this room to demonsrate commercial theatre systems. The room appeared to be about 8 mtrs x 8 mtrs and the ceiling height was about 2.8mtrs.
    When I first spoke to Paul he sugested I listen to the LSR4328p's as well as the LSR6332's. None of the guys there had done a true A/B comparison of these systems, so I was very exited to say the least at his offer. It is easy to see why the crew at Jands are the leaders in the pro seen in Australia, they are so helpful and professional in their approach to client satisfaction.
    The systems; the cd player was was a pro Marantz and digitally connected to a pc then routed to the 4328p's, and for the 6332's the amp they used although not probably suited was a Crown it6000.
    I can see why the 4328P's get such good reviews from the recording industry, from the minute we started listening to the music I was amazed at how well balanced the sound was out of these things. They were really tuneful, controlled and filled the room with a very warm and inviting sound with plenty of bass extension.
    The imagary was very precise and there was a supprisingly large sound stage. These little suckers can play pretty loud too, I think we probably took them to 100db or more and they did it so easilly, I'm not sure if it was to do with the room but there was no hint of compression at all at high levels. The build quality looked much better than monitors of old from JBL and I liked the use of the carry handles. Unfortunately we didn't use the room correction mode with the 4328p's as 1 they sounded great without doing it and 2 I was really there to listen to the 6332's.
    I know the it6000 was not a very good choice of amp to drive the 6332's, it was all they had there at the moment to use in a demonstration. It took a little while to warm to the 6332's, they appeared very flat and lacked the exstended bass that I enjoy with my 4435's, and we all agreed the amp wasn't a good match. However after listening to a couple of previously played tracks with the 4328p's, it became very apparent why the 6332's are twice the price point of the 4328p's. We turned up the wick on the amp and boy did they come alive. Paul figured in the end we were using about 600 to 700 watts rms per channel into the 6332's.
    The sound stage was so expansive and detailed, there were notes I'm sure I've never heard when playing the same material on my 4435's. , the bottom end while not as deep as my 4435's was probably more detailed and perhaps can I say more accurate.When we pushed the speakers they became very dynamic and the shyness in the bass seemed to disappear.
    The mid bass and mid range were very detailed and the highs were very refined, and I'd doubt very much if you would get fatigued listening to them for extended periods. The sound is not as foward as say a L300 or 4435 for that matter, but if you sat in the right spot, you were emersed in the material something I don't really find with the 4435's.
    The sound is very much out of the boxes and if you closed your eyes it was very easy to define the sound stage and each instrument had its own place. The detail of all the instruments in each passage were so full and defined, everyone in the room commented on these points. I was listening to each of the instruments and was thinking I normaly don't do that, Its like I always think of the overall sound and not the individual instruments creating the mix. (does this make sense??) Remembering this was all through a touring amp with the fan noise of a car!! (no the amp didn't run hot he he).
    Like the 4328p's the 6332's showed no hint of compression, and I'm sure they could have delt with all the power the it6000 had to offer. The build quality like the 4328p's was great and they are very light for their size. I can't emagine what the 6332's would sound like with better electronics and dare I say a matching sub! Yes I am hooked, and yes I will be owning a pair.
    In a small room I believe the 4328p's would be very hard to beat, they are powered and have plenty of gadgets to tinker with, and we are all big on that. The 6332's yes may seem a little flat to some, but put them to work with plenty of power using the very best electronics, and a good sub will put you straight into audio navana I'm sure.
    If you are looking around there is a pair of LSR32 1/2 price down at Warehouse Sound in Melbourne.

Hi.

I own the 4328's and a 4312 subwoofer. My impression is much the same as yours. However i would like little more "thump" in the midbass The bass is also a bit rounded for my taste. Sound like the drivers are a bit more slugish than their more expensive Aquaplas treated woofers.

I would love to hear the 6332 someday.....

Best regards Tim

Hey Tim, I found the 6332 to be excellent in the mid bass. I would think the 4328 and sub (4312) in some rooms may be a little too much, taking away some clarity in the mid bass and lower mid range. I think you would enjoy listening to the 6332's. When I purchase my 6332's I'm thinking on the 4312 as apposed to the 6312 sub. It seems to have better spec and a bit more power. This may provide better head room in the bottom end. I have a 4645c in storage and a spare 2245 driver I can play with also. Again room may be my problem then.
    Mick.

Hi. No, i dont have too much bass. but its just isnt as fast as ive heard from more expensive JBL stuff. Pull out the driver and youll see why. Cheap stamped basket and a quite soft cone materiall.

Do NOT buy a 4312 sub too your 6332's. That sub was never intended to be used outside the 4300 series. You only have 3 choices for crossover point and the RMC dont work unkless its hooked up to a LSR4326/28.

If you have a 2245 i would try to use that

Best regards Tim

If you are going to be discussing the LSR4312P powered subwoofer, maybe you should type in the whole name, so that it's not confused with the original 4312.

Oh. Sorry about that. Didnt know there were more subs with the same numbers. Im of course talking about the current LSR4328P and the LSR4312P

Tim

Would JBL lsr32's work ok with vintage SS amps, I have been told the new speakers work on a different freq. and won't work with vintage equip. Is that true?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!

Cost is not a factor for ones passions.

They will work fine with vintage solid state amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    They will work fine with vintage solid state amplifiers.
    If they are stout enough. Quite stout.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    If they are stout enough. Quite stout.

Is 200watts rms enough?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!

That's more than enough power.

Maybe not. You could clip that amp into these fairly easily. That is on the low end of what JBL recommends; high end is 1000. Ponder it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Maybe not. You could clip that amp into these fairly easily. That is on the low end of what JBL recommends; high end is 1000. Ponder it.

I will thanks.

Almorro 125wpc tube amp

I will try this tube amp out with my LSR32s when I get them.

The amp has (4) 6550 per chnl and 4 ohm taps. It should be interesting to hear how it sounds.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information