Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phono preamp-modules

Found em - anyone have experience with these folks?

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

Something like this that I could mount under a shelf ...
    and wallwart powered

(But of course - this tube preamp also sounds intriguing ...http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1965/phono.html)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Dont know if you are set on your preamp yet, Heather, BUT the Yamaha C-4 that I just aquired has provisions for 3 TT's and is heavily orientated towards TT's. Can do MC and MM. And has adjustable cartridge loading. They arent very expensive, just saw a BIN for $100. Oh ,yeah..has 2 pre outs.

regards
    TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Something like this that I could mount under a shelf ...
    and wallwart powered
    The MMF I have is ~5.25" x 5.25" x 2.5", and wall-wart powered. Could be tucked away pretty easily. Not sure what the other one might be, likely a Radio Shack or similar, nothing special.

je

Found em - anyone have experience with these folks?
    http://www.phonopreamps.com/
    Don't judge a book by its cover, but the TC-400D (Deutschland) I got here under another label (for cheap in any respect) seems to be the same. It is a 2-transistor design with unpredictable results, I have never tried it.
    (Crap - why bother about fine speakers?)

regards

juergen

Thanks - its not a problem, its just been ... busy.
    Emma was getting ready for her trip (and Palm Sunday and Easter for 2 churches) - she's been in Richmond all week watching over her dad while her sister's family went away for a mini-vacation.
    My dad is coming by in a bit for a visit, and this suddenly warm weather means yard work gets to ramp up again ... and I really do have to plug "the Zilch conundrum" back into the system and give that a few days listen, now that the new receiver is in place.

The speaker mounts can wait - I've got to figure out phono options - tho I'd love something I could mount under a rack shelf and forget. (re: the mysterious modules someone had posted in another thread that I can't find now - frizzle frazzle LHS Search!!)

At some point it'd be nice to borrow something like a Crown D-300/JBL 6260- size amp - but ...

If you do head by this way - I can give you a number, or meet you or ...

if not, I should make plans to ride down some Sunday when Emma heads to church and we can visit offline for a bit ...
    No problem, I'm not nearly unpacked/set up yet, and things will slow down considerably since I'm starting a new job Monday. However, things like speaker brackets will get more & more buried into attics, but I'm keeping inventory of each attic section for reference!

The Urei 6260 is earmarked for the studio PA mains (months away), but the Crown can substitute for it if you ever want to check out the 6260. The Crown is earmarked for...nothing, other than backing up the 6260 at this point, so that's not a problem.

By "ride down some Sunday", is that passenger in the CR-V, or piloting the Triumph? I've been doing lots of riding lately, another thing that will suffer due to this whole employment thing.

I've got your cell & home #s, I'll be in touch if we're passing by Sunday afternoon.

je

I actually have a vinyl-to-digital solution for my Mac.
    Haul the turntable up to my office, set the software for RIAA/turntable mode, and play the LPs, remembering to mark song transitions ... save to AIFF, convert to high-rate AAC, etc ...
    I've already done that a few times for a few albums that just don't exist any other way - but its a royal pain, its quite time consuming, and even at this point I still have maybe 300 LPs that I have not replaced with remastered CDs.

But thanks for the idea ...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/
    how have the results been sound wise,and do you think analog tape would be a better if not expensive alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    The MMF I have is ~5.25" x 5.25" x 2.5", and wall-wart powered. Could be tucked away pretty easily. Not sure what the other one might be, likely a Radio Shack or similar, nothing special.

je
    Well, that sounds like a good thing, thanks! - I gather the quality is fine - so we just need to sort out a price I 'spose ...
    It sounds like its just what I need,
    .. but y'know, ... it doesn't have terminator style blue LEDs on it ... sigh
    ... what is WITH all these folks who build allegedly modern gear without blue leds
    ... don't they know that blue Leds are the paradigm of the future?

Looks like Hoerninger's got the number for that other module I saw online -
    that tear-away view tells me its probably wise to keep stuff like that out of my rack.

And by Ride on down - it would probably be with Emma in the Civic Si or the CRV - I haven't pulled the Triumph out of the shed - and its a 500cc 4sp twin - for local riding only, not really interstate ready.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Dont know if you are set on your preamp yet, Heather, BUT the Yamaha C-4 that I just aquired has provisions for 3 TT's and is heavily orientated towards TT's. Can do MC and MM. And has adjustable cartridge loading. They arent very expensive, just saw a BIN for $100. Oh ,yeah..has 2 pre outs.

regards
    TOM
    Well, thanks for that info - as I told you before, I am a BIG fan of the Yamaha stereo gear - and someday I want to replace my first generation CR-400 with a cr-1020 or 1040 - in the guest room ...
    But - I am running multichannel in the main room - and just replaced my old 5.1 JVC with a new (refurb) Harman-Kardon AVR 335 - it arrived Tuesday so I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon - just want to supplement it with a TT gain stage. But thanks for the idea!

The sound is actually pretty good - if the source is good. I digitized some early Ultravox LPs and it was real fine - kind of techno punk stuff so noise wasn't audible. But I tried to digitize Elton John's Madman Across the Water
    and the old vinyl was just noisy enough that it bugged me - and I wound up buying a used CD of it from Amazon later that month.

See, that's the point - I'm not planning to buy a copy of Santana Moonflower or Lotus remastered - but I do like to be able to play some cuts off it now and then, or early Blue Oyster Cult (the Last Days of May) - or Lawrence Olivier doing Hamlet (rare vinyl) ... or a bunch of strange things I get in the mood to play, rarely, but don't want to drop cash to buy yet again ... There is far too much new music I don't yet own for me to worry about buying old stuff yet again.

Not sure why Analog tape would be considered - I just pulled my cassette deck out of the rack last year when I realized I just didn't use it any more.
    I'm not doing PCM audio recording on videotape, nor DAT, nor R-R.
    Damn it Jim, just a preamp, not a tape doctor! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    how have the results been sound wise,and do you think analog tape would be a better if not expensive alternative

OMG NO!! NOT a Behringer!!! It must be a stolen circuit design made with inferior parts and assembled by slave labor who knows where!!

(I heard it was a knock-off of the Boulder phono preamp that goes for $30k, that Behringer sells for 0.1% of that price... those bawstawds!! )

Quote Originally Posted by coherent_guy View Post
    ... a stolen circuit design ... with inferior parts ... assembled ... who knows where
    I have never bought a Behringer, some thoughts:

A RIAA circuit can barely be stolen, all different types of topologies are known for decades - I have a thick folder. (IC manufacturers publish complete circuits too.)
    Boulder with $30k is simply overprized.

A low prize can only achieved by parts selection and low salary workers (The TC400 is presumably a universal far east product)

A highly recommended part is the "Black Cube" by LehmannAudio, but you have to pay for quality:
    http://www.lehmannaudio.com/english/products.htm
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/blackcubepwx_e.html

Yes, but the review quotes the Black Cube SE + PWR (robust external PS) at 620 Euros - I've got to say - the Receiver costs me under $400US ... heck, even the turntable (new in the 80s) was under $400 US
    I appreciate that I don't want a $29 module - but anything over , say, $150 is probably overkill in that system.

Thanks for the information, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post

A low prize can only achieved by parts selection and low salary workers (The TC400 is presumably a universal far east product)

A highly recommended part is the "Black Cube" by LehmannAudio, but you have to pay for quality:
    http://www.lehmannaudio.com/english/products.htm
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/blackcubepwx_e.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    I have never bought a Behringer, some thoughts: ...

Boulder with $30k is simply overprized.

Peter
    Well of course it is, and phono preamps seem to exemplify the ridiculous pricing of some equipment. While the Lehmann may be of high quality, what you get for the price, three op-amps, small handful of capacitors and resistors, with wall-wart power supply, is surprising. Welcome to the world of high-end audio. I'd love to see an internal pic of the Behringer unit.

For the price I like the Parasound and NAD units below, though still expensive relatively speaking. Not rated as highly as the Lehmann, but 1/4th the price. Both will accomodate MM and MC cartridges.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=PAZPHONO

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP2

I like Ultravox too...

Only slightly OT

my C-4 has 3 TT i/p's . I dont use vinyl anymore , so they are wasted. NE1 know what it takes to convert a phono input to just an AUX ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information