Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phono preamp-modules

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I just need a minimal gain stage with an RIAA vinyl EQ.
    Plug and play or
    iron and solder?

In the old days I used to run the table with a Stanton 681 EEE - but I'm sure I have a lesser pickering or similar in there now. (at work now, not at home to check, sorry).

I just need a minimal gain stage with an RIAA vinyl EQ.
    I'm not really looking to run my turntable off a tube amp - certainly nothing THAT esoteric!
    Well then, it all comes down to the big "B" word (budget). I'm sure there is a phono pre to match it so long as you are prepared to spend around $100USD.

Nate.

PS. Kudos on excersizing restraint WRT the poopy jokes. You just galvanized a common gender bias: Women are more mature than men.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    no. the line level (tape in/aux in) inputs are -much- less sensitive.

This would be a non-equalized, pre-preamp ... one can also buy step-up transformers
    to perform a similar function. An actual preamp phono input must in include something
    resembling RIAA equalization to flatten the frequency response back out. I'm not a
    huge Wikipedia fan, but : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

-grumpy
    are you familiar with the quatre gain cell.far as i know im the only one here who owned one and with my audio research pre it sounded great.but with nothing to compare it to ive often wondered..........

or have some fun & get that vinyl digitized:

http://www.artproaudio.com/products....cat=13&type=90

Denon had a turntable with a digital out for a while. Might have been pro/DJ equipment.

je

Nad, Creek and Musicaly Fidelity have some quite respectable units than won't break the bank.

Zilch you dog!

You keep this up and Heather just might change her gender preferences.
    Last edited by JBLRaiser; 03-28-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: banana wasn't dancing

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    ...banana wasn't dancing ...
    Considering a change yourself?

Actually, I like Grumpy's ART one better. PE doesn't have the USB one, apparently, but the regular one is $50 there:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=245-876

Pro audio dealers have or can get them, tho....

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    or have some fun & get that vinyl digitized:
    I actually have a vinyl-to-digital solution for my Mac.
    Haul the turntable up to my office, set the software for RIAA/turntable mode, and play the LPs, remembering to mark song transitions ... save to AIFF, convert to high-rate AAC, etc ...
    I've already done that a few times for a few albums that just don't exist any other way - but its a royal pain, its quite time consuming, and even at this point I still have maybe 300 LPs that I have not replaced with remastered CDs.

But thanks for the idea ...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Question

So when are to inviting one of these Boys over for a spin of all that vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    So when are to inviting one of these Boys over for a spin of all that vinyl?
    He he he -
    Well, this weekend is probably the last chance I'll have for the Zilch-test ...
    the new HK receiver is in place and works well - so I can pull the rack out one last time, (! is there EVER really a "one last time"?), tap into the front-channel preamp outs, swing the speaker lines around, and reconnect the biamp gear & the zilch-horns, and see how it all works for all my sources. After that real-world testing I'll have a better idea where I want to go with the system next. Then I can tear down Zilch's gear late next week and ship it back to Zilch

Of course, I haven't made the trip down to Fred's yet to check out all his gear - nor Don's, for that matter!

And I still have to rebuild the creekbed for our pond. It sprung a leak over the winter and I can't run the pump without the waterlevel dropping dangerously low right now ... Mason and concrete work is a bit tougher than speaker testing ... but I don't want to wait until summer for that project ...

There's just not enough time ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Of course, I haven't made the trip down to Fred's yet to check out all his gear - nor Don's, for that matter!

There's just not enough time ...
    Hi Heather- sorry for the verbose post earlier in this thread, I was in a weird mood- the short version of it is that I have a phono preamp (maybe two, actually) that you can borrow to test, and make any reasonable offer on it if you'd like to keep it. I'm heading to NY this weekend (not sure if we're passing the DC way, I usually don't but Jean does- we'll see who's driving!), but could ship one next week if it helps. Let me know.

Same goes for the OmniMount brackets, but you'd have to narrow down which types you'd like to see, shipping one of each would be pretty inefficient.

je

Thanks - its not a problem, its just been ... busy.
    Emma was getting ready for her trip (and Palm Sunday and Easter for 2 churches) - she's been in Richmond all week watching over her dad while her sister's family went away for a mini-vacation.
    My dad is coming by in a bit for a visit, and this suddenly warm weather means yard work gets to ramp up again ... and I really do have to plug "the Zilch conundrum" back into the system and give that a few days listen, now that the new receiver is in place.

The speaker mounts can wait - I've got to figure out phono options - tho I'd love something I could mount under a rack shelf and forget. (re: the mysterious modules someone had posted in another thread that I can't find now - frizzle frazzle LHS Search!!)

At some point it'd be nice to borrow something like a Crown D-300/JBL 6260- size amp - but ...

If you do head by this way - I can give you a number, or meet you or ...

if not, I should make plans to ride down some Sunday when Emma heads to church and we can visit offline for a bit ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Hi Heather- sorry for the verbose post earlier in this thread, I was in a weird mood- the short version of it is that I have a phono preamp (maybe two, actually) that you can borrow to test, and make any reasonable offer on it if you'd like to keep it. I'm heading to NY this weekend (not sure if we're passing the DC way, I usually don't but Jean does- we'll see who's driving!), but could ship one next week if it helps. Let me know.

Same goes for the OmniMount brackets, but you'd have to narrow down which types you'd like to see, shipping one of each would be pretty inefficient.

je

Thread Information