Thread: My first Mac

My first Mac

No I didn't buy a new iMac (athough it's tempting)...

I've been researching tuners for some time trying to decide on one. I've had a few over the past 5 years but couldn't really find one that really did it for me. I had just about decided to get a nice Sansui TU-717 when just for grins I put in a low-ball bid on a nice McIntosh MR77. Imagine my surprise when the auction ended and I was the winner! Another MR77 just sold a few days later for 3X the price I paid. Wow - sometimes ebay still can get you the deals.

I just hooked it up and sat down for listen. We're lucky to still have a decent FM market in the Boston area which is the main reason I decided to invest in a good tuner. I also have an FM transmitter for my MP3's and internet radio so I suppose that helped me decide as well. First off I have to say this is a great looking tuner, especially at night with everything lit up. It fits in with my other vintage gear in a way the more modern digital tuners did not. And the sound ? Very nice indeed. Much better soundstage and a tad more mellow than the newer tuners while still being very quiet. It's not quite the silent marvel that my Pioneer F91 is, but the soundstage is so much more realistic.

Luckily there are no remotely affordable Mac Preamps with moving coil phono sections or I'd be in trouble .

I'll add some pics over the holiday break...

jblnut

Grats on your purchase. Mc is truly awesome gear. I ownded a MC-402 for a time and was very satisfied with it.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information