Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Island Discs

Desert Island Discs

"If you had to be stranded on a desert island, pick your top Desert Island Discs and tell us why for each one."

The "why" is really the interesting part ... don't leave it out!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Desert island with restricted eqipment ...
    Ravi Shankar with traditional indian music. It is like a switch and you come back refreshed. I could hear it every day. (On a desert island you must be creativ to survive.)
    Back home again the whole spectrum ...

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thats odd - didn't work before - but - its a year later, and a different crowd

and again, the WHY of each DID is the intrigue!

One of mine would be Live at Leeds ...
    "'cause there ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues"

I'm just a fan of Daltrey's whole shriek at world emotion of that song

I was at a show at the Alexandria Roller Rink in the early 70s ... 3 bands:
    Grin, (local guitar hero Nils Lofgren's band in those day), America, and T-Rex.
    Grin was great, America - well, they were pop, but not bad ... and the final band ... T-rex started into a miserable version of Summertime Blues and I had to step outside until they finished that song...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    and again, the WHY of each DID is the intrigue!.
    SANTANA : Abraxas....ITS ETHNIC , EXOTIC , ELECTRIC , EROTIC,, SOME REAL SOUL , THE BEST SANTANA EVER DID

CCR: Willie and the Poor Boys....BEST OF THE "WHITE BOY BLACK MUSIC" , LIKE 2 ALBUMS IN ONE. THEY CAN TAKE "COVERS" AND MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THEIR OWN.

WHO : Who's Next ? ...DALTRYS SCREAMING, THE WHOLETHING FLOWS, GREAT GUITAR

LED ZELLELIN : 1st......ITS LIKE A GREATEST HITS ALBUM

PHILLIP GLASS : Koyaanisqatsi......HYPNOTIC, FANTASTIC PIPE ORGAN TONES

PINK FLOYD : Wish you were here...CONCEPT ALBUM THAT WORKS, THEIR BEST, IMHO

couldn't possibly narrow it down to ten!maybe a margin of error of ten.if that island wont let me have at least a hundred i aint goin'.......but led zep 1 ........willy and the po boys............abraxas .........who's next would definitely be among them

JBL 4645
    Here’s my desert island disc for that lonely isolated island. Yes Madonna played loud day and night that is until I get picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    couldn't possibly narrow it down to ten!maybe a margin of error of ten.if that island wont let me have at least a hundred i aint goin'.......but led zep 1 ........willy and the po boys............abraxas .........who's next would definitely be among them
    Jim

if you havnt seen or heard Koyaanisqatsi, its a real experience.

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/k_music.php

TOM

i have it on dvd but no time to watch it yet.ive seen the other one but wont attempt to spell it here

Here are some current high-rotation faves:
    1. Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti (two discs for one choice!, great variety, raw power of a live/trio band sound with Rover/Kashmir/Time of Dying, plus beautiful melodic songs like Seaside, Night Flight, Ten Years Gone. Lots to delve into, expecially with Jones' choices.)
    2. Brother Cane- Seeds (guitar tones, songs, vocals/harmonies within my range, don't get tired of it, need something to sing along loudly with on this island)
    3. Don Ross- Passion Session (recording quality is beautiful, memorable songs that play in my head for days after hearing the disc, dynamic steel-string acoustic)
    4. John Scofield- A Go Go (this essentially IS what plays in my head, now and for years before this album came out. Scofield & MMW= funky, spacy, fun)
    5. Alice In Chains- Jar Of Flies (an EP, makes up for the LZ double disc- mood thing, love the vocal & guitar harmonies, drums, overall sound)
    6. Rhino Caravan- The Grey Album (friend's band, think Beatles meet Violent Femmes...only better than what you just thought of. Honestly one of my favorite albums of all time. Another fill-your-lungs sing-along. Includes a Monkees cover, even.)
    7. The Beatles- pick one: Abbey Road/Let It Be/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's (always something to learn or examine, or just plain let it play)
    8. Dan Baird- Love Songs For the Hearing Impaired (Fun, great guitar tones & textures, great recording)
    9. Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies- first album or Magnolia (Singer's a belter, twin guitarists with individual styles and a Southern Rock feel, solid strong drummer, good songs. Reminds me a bit of a band I was in where I was the percussive, dynamic guitarist and my friend Gus was the melodic, violin-toned player. He'd make you hum & memorize his solos, I'd make you wanna play air guitar & make "grrr" faces.)
    10. In Tua Nua- The Long Acre (Great songwriting, some songs to toss but satisfies a craving often enough. Female-fronted Irish band with some sweet, memorable tunes)
    Highest rotation during my formative R'N'R years:
    1. Led Zeppelin II (or IV) - contrasts, in dynamics/textures/styles/rhythms. The more hippy-ish vocals/lyrics a little tough for me these days, having been sober all my life, but if you're alone on a desert island what the heck, go with it, don't be embarrassed.
    2. Deep Purple- Machine Head (or Made In Japan) - probably mostly for the Gillan vocals, but all the players influenced me for sure. "Never Before" a funk-influenced favorite.
    3. Billy Squier- Don't Say No - I just like it. Everything on this album sounds like any beginner could play it, but it's each musician leaving room for the others that makes it all work. Much more keyboards driving this album than obvious at first listen.
    4. Queen- The Game (or A Day At the Races) - always influenced by them, but (ignoring Bites the Dust) this one (or two) really showed all the band's talents individually. Brian May's a major influence, not that I can play anything like him.
    5. AC/DC- Back In Black (or Dirty Deeds) - seemingly simple, and simply stripped-down brilliant. Mutt Lange beefy-drum production, great elemental guitar interplay, solid (if dopey) songs. Pick your album according to the singer, although production is lacking on DDDDC.
    6. The Who- Live At Leeds - IT'S JUST BIG. Commanding. Perfect balance of manic drumming that 9.5 of 10 times lands on its feet, acrobatic yet anchoring bass playing that just HAD to rearrange the audience's innards, and on/off switch guitars. BIG...then silent...then BIG!
    7. Aerosmith- Toys In the Attic - more than the sum of its parts. Smart band, generally knows what to leave out. Perry not afraid to go with the guitar tone he hears in his head, instead of whatever the current industry standard is. Tylers vocals-as-percussion-instrument always appeals to me, too.
    8. Kansas- Leftoverture (or Two For The Show) - composition, execution. Another big influence. Drummer Phil Ehart is excellent. Love Walsh's vocals. Memorable songs. Tons of textures (vibes, tympani, Rick bass, keys, violin, etc.). Production (Jeff Glixman?) impressive in the way you can pick out & follow any of the many instruments running at any given time.
    9. Van Halen 1 - groundbreaking in '78. Chewy guitar tones, big goofy rock vocals that didn't take themselves too seriously, turned things around at the time.
    10. Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell (or Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll) - vocals that grew callouses on your vocal cords just from listening along. Geezer cranked on H&H.
    ...and the scattershot "alternative" years...
    1. Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me (or Tim) - love Paul's songwriting, almost always.
    2. firehose- Ragin', Full-On - garage band production, but seriously muscular interplay between bass & drums. An acquired taste, I'd think.
    3. Husker Du- Flip Your Wig - sticks with me, even with glaring faults. I like lots of Mould's later stuff, too.
    4. Joe Jackson- Look Sharp! - has it all, except I've never heard a good-sounding version of it, and I just know it's good on the master tapes. If there's a re-mix/re-master I should look for, let me know. Exceptional songwriting skills, great stripped-down playing. Graham Maby super on bass.
    5. Police- Outlandos D'Amour - similar to what I wrote in the last choice. Copeland is one of my favorite sloppy adrenaline-influenced drummers, I like him best when he's at his most raw.
    6. REM- Life's Rich Pageant - another turning point in style/songwriting, mostly influential because of when I heard it and what I had been listening to up until then. Still memorable songs.
    7. INXS- Listen Like Thieves - some of the songs really resonated at the time, and the album stands up to scrutiny. Very much driven/sculpted by the keyboardist, and another album that works well because of what was left out- many other bands/producers would have clogged it full of crap.
    8. The Knack- Get The Knack - solid album. Lead guitar really tasty, strong drumming that sounds like a well-tuned set in the room with you. Tight band, good songs.
    9. Big Audio Dynamite- Tighten Up, Vol. 88 - infectious, even though I can't say that any of the individual songs are masterpieces. Just another album that made me forget the current "rules" and feel free to do whatever I felt the song wanted.
    10. The Alarm- Eye Of the Hurricane - I don't know, I guess I just rooted for these guys. The songs were mostly strong, and you could feel that they were really putting themselves into it. Don't know why I kept going back to it, but I did.
    There are many others, but hey, that's certainly enough typing for now...

je

lots of food for thought there.i never quite got the whole punk thing as when it came out the whole lo fi thing was at odds with where i was going musically and gear wise but im usually more open to unfamiliar music these days.

I picked up another iPod touch yesterday . Restored and reloaded it. Had to test it out, of course , so I put on the new-to-me PSB headphones and plugged in , settled into the rack.

Up came The DOORS GH (beautifully remastered) ... it's a combination of their first + Strange Days + a little of Waiting for the Sun. You don't realize the masterful mixing (Botnick ?) and the great concert of effort between the four players on speakers . The mix and details really are stunning on cans. The mix especially stands out in comparison to some of the very primitive ones in The Beatles tunes of that era.

DID ? The DOORS & - Strange Days were really just an extension of their first and I almost consider them disk 1 & 2 of the same album.

A true treasure ..IMHO

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...rences.324452/

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The mix especially stands out in comparison to some of the very primitive ones in The Beatles tunes of that era.
    What do you mean by mix, primitive and "era"?
    Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966), Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) primitive?

Joe

I think he was referring to the mixes being primitive, not the music. Nonetheless, I think Seawolf97 has it backwards—the production values of those Doors recordings seems downright primitive compared with the production values of the Beatles' contemporary recordings (Sgt. Pepper's album and the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane and I Am the Walrus/Baby You're a Rich Man singles). Those Beatles records layered track after track, one on top of the other, and used symphony orchestras and a huge variety of other instruments that never appeared on any Doors album, all expertly fused by George Martin (the ultimate audio alchemist) into a whole that was far, far beyond the mere sum of its parts. Those Doors' remasters might sound wonderful through a good set of headphones, but the Beatles' records' production values really cannot be separated from the music itself, since by then the Beatles regarded the studio itself as but one more instrument to be played as part of their creative process.

And don't forget: the Beatles recorded and mixed all of their records (except, famously, for Abbey Road and Revolution 9 on The Beatles) in mono. None of the Beatles was even present at any of the stereo mixdown sessions for any of their records (which were done to satisfy record company demand, not for any artistic purpose). The Beatles never even listened to any of the music playbacks in stereo while recording in the studio; everything was done through a single monitor.

I like and enjoy the Doors records, but for me they're like a bowl of breakfast cereal compared with the full-course gourmet meal that are the Beatles' recordings from that period.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    I think he was referring to the mixes being primitive, not the music..
    yes.

has anyone else read the Emmeric book ? 15 y.o. assistant engineer recording the Beatles , his first audio job.
    EMI thought so little of them that vinyl was released on their comedy label, and recorded by a kid.

I like their performances, but the FAUX stereo mixes SUCK. Listen to them on headphones. Vocals in one ear , music in the other .. no blend. Rhythm goes in & out w/o regard to the tune. Mostly because it was done on 4 track, then combined and copied over to another 4 track.

The DOORS remaster (afaik) just cleaned up the sound & dynamics and didn't change the mix. Beatles could certainly benefit from a more experienced engineer*. GM was such a great producer that I can't understand why he didn't have more of a hand in the nuts & bolts of engineering.

*but he does write an entertaining book.

Hey Joe ... you are giving away your secret identity with your comments.

Thread Information