Thread: Some new cabinet ideas, comments welcomed....

Some new cabinet ideas, comments welcomed....

Hi folks. In an earlier thread I discussed making new cabinets for my 4412a monitors to make them work in a vertical configuration for loungeroom use. I have been toying with a few ideas for cabinets/baffles, just wondering if I could get some comments on them. Feel free to tell me they totally suck!

First is a standard mirror image offset baffle design, with a slightly raised baffle that "falls away" from the drivers in an effort to reduce diffraction. All edges will be rounded off.

The second is a slightly obscure idea that has the mf and hf drivers in a seperate cabinet. Again the baffle will be raised and fall away from the drivers somewhat, with rounded edges. I like the idea of separating the lf and the mf/hf boxes in the interest of keeping the mid as clean as possible.

The drawings are rough sketches only and don't show the detail of the "moulded" baffles and rounded edges. I want to reduce diffraction as much as possible in the midrange to make them image as well as they can.

Thanks for any opinions, I'm new at this and making it up as I go along...

Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Seperate enclosures for bass and mid, etc.

I have been working on a JBL 4-way experiment for the past couple years and did it all with separate enclosures. This is indispensable if you want to find the optimum sonic placement. We tend to blow a lot of $$ on hardware 'cause it looks cool or whatever but, in my experience, APPLICATION will get you more hi fi than anything. Yeah, go for it, move 'em around. I made 'utility' enclosures for my 2123s and 3/4" baffles for my horns so I can set 'em on top of the bass or mid enclosures - stack 'em three high. Similar with tweeters. Learned a lot. Humbling, actually. In fact, the independents seem to sound a bit better, perhaps more efficient as well. Very rigid for one - used 3/4", 70 lb press wood composite. Buy a few extra sabre saw blades. Good luck! Mike

Thanks Mike. Still not sure what to do, my main concern is that the tonal balance won't be quite right with a different sized baffle because of the Baffle Step Correction, assuming it is factored in the original design.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx510 View Post
    ....my main concern is that the tonal balance won't be quite right with a different sized baffle ...
    Yea, there is that, and it is not trivial.

Make sure you have proper acoustic measurement gear - use it early and often. Make sure you are proficient with it. We all are working in sub-ideal acoustic conditions and making long lasting decisions.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I'm planning to make up a basic measurement mike with a panasonic capsule, and do comparitive measurements with a pc. Not ideal, but the best I can do. I've started leaning toward the more standard single box baffle as I think it will more closely resemble the original design with regards to BSC. I still can't get over how underbuilt the standard 4412a boxes are, just awful!
    Thanks
    Adam

Thread Information