Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount Rear Speakers in media room

JBL 4645
    I know you have ideas why not look at some of the cinema suppliers in the US, I’m sure they have a few JBL cinema surrounds going on the cheap 8330 and 8340’s.

These days you can pick up the real deal for less if you poke around a bit.

They don’t come with brackets, but are best when mounted flush ageist the walls, THX approved.

http://www.iceco.com/JBL%20Speakers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

Not to mention they come in white, just like the cat.
    Well ... between the L200 boxes in the front, those L20Ts in the rear, and the B380 in the corner for sub use ... I think I'm staying with wood boxes for a bit ... white speakers would be as out of place as the black boxes were!

(I had the L20s in the front while I wiped them down with feed'n'wax all week ... but they're heaed out back)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

weight

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well - I'm not sure but I think the L20T speaker weighs a bit more than those JBL Control speakers ...
    Heather,

Maybe, but maybe not. I couldn't seem to find a weight spec for the L20T, but the L20t3 is rated at 14 Lbs. The 4401 is only rated shipping weight per pair-35lbs. I never put them on a scale, but they're
    pretty heavy for their size. At any rate, if you use the omni mount, (or any other mount), I'd use a mount rated at 20 pounds minimum.

Good luck again!

Peter

P.S. Nice looking setup you have there! Just curious, which ones are those directly atop your L200's?
    Last edited by pmakres1; 03-24-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

JBL 4645
    I thought you room would be wider than mine, its about the same width thou I don’t know about the length?

I’d say there about 28lbs in weight, maybe, Heather, do you have some scales for weighing? Weigh each one!

Couch Bolts, use them if you’re going to go hang these JBL L20T up, otherwise the darn things will fall on you!

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1 View Post
    Heather,
    Just curious, which ones are those directly atop your L200's?
    Ah - those are the slot-boxes ...

See, the long term idea is to wind up with a pair of 4343/4344 clones.
    They have a sub-enclosure in the main cabinet to isolate and house the 2121 or 2122 midbass speaker. I did some checking and found the JBL 2600 was a near match for that subenclosure - so when I found a pair of 2600 speakers in DC cheap, I bought them and gutted them, then mounted my 2123 10inch MidBass drivers in them. When I swapped out my 4320 cabinets for the L200 cabinets, I didn't want to drill a hole in them for the 2405 tweeter, so - I mounted my 2405 slots in there as well. The 3rd driver in those boxes isn't a driver, its a "zilch-plug" used to plug the existing port hole. Its inserted from the inside out to hide the ugly wingnut.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

heather if i may,if that room is accessible from an attic i would consider hangers that cross the ceiling joists and drop down through the drywall ceiling,and maybe even the wires could run thru there.the holes are easily patched when you sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    heather if i may,if that room is accessible from an attic i would consider hangers that cross the ceiling joists and drop down through the drywall ceiling,and maybe even the wires could run thru there.the holes are easily patched when you sell.
    Well - its a ground floor room, bedrooms directly above it - no access to rafters or anything like that. But the ceiling is strong and robust - its a 60 year old house, very well made.

To be honest, once I got over my initial inhibition, it just seemed more expediant to mount these like the previous speakers had been mounted.
    So - out came the cordless drill and some bits and - and, after boring a 19/64 hole on the side, I popped ta 1/4 steel eyelet through the side, and with fender washers and doublenuts on the inside - they are up - quite robust and solid!

majick47

Speaker Wall Mounts

Heather I spent some time searching and buying speaker wall mounts off Ebay for my 4301b (30 lbs). Ended up with about six pairs from JBL/OmniMount and Versamount that are all 50lb plus pro wall mounts. All the mounts are rock solid and fully adjustable. I lucked out on Ebay and payed short money for the mounts. If your interested in wall mounting I have a pair, depending on the size of your speakers, left over that I won't be useing.

Well, the L20Ts are about the same size as the (empty) 4406 Monitors I got a year back (but never populated). I'm guessing they are just over 20 lbs - about 9 1/2 x 15 x 8 1/2 (deep) - but they have to go sideways to clear the basement and back doors. Thats why I used the eyebolts for the G100s - plus the plant hooks are already there.
    If the speakers will mount in them horizontally, I'd be real interested in them - if so I can PM so we can work out details ...

Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    Heather I spent some time searching and buying speaker wall mounts off Ebay for my 4301b (30 lbs). Ended up with about six pairs from JBL/OmniMount and Versamount that are all 50lb plus pro wall mounts. All the mounts are rock solid and fully adjustable. I lucked out on Ebay and payed short money for the mounts. If your interested in wall mounting I have a pair, depending on the size of your speakers, left over that I won't be useing.

majick47

Speaker Mounts

Heather from your dimensions of the speakers they will fit the extra mounts I have. I had to place hardwood (maple) boards connecting the studs to evenly mount my 4301b speakers from the corners of the room unless you are real lucky and the studs are exactly in the same spot each side of the room. The mounting boards could be finished to match the wall/trim etc. I'll send you a PM later re the mounts, I have to take off for work this afternoon.

majick47

Wall Mounts

Heather I located the two wall mounts, Haropa Products Multimedia 15/100 rated for 99 lbs each. Only problem they are intended for vertical mounting of speakers. I looked at the additional pictures you posted for Zilch showing the left and right corners with doorways etc. My Denon AVR-3605 7.1 set up instructions has both the rear surrounds as a single channel and does not require significant distance between the two speakers. Denon advised that it would also work with one rear surround speaker but two would be better. If your rear surrounds arn't left and right channel you could mount each speaker vertically high and to the sides of the middle doorway and it should allow adequate clearance to open/close the side/corner doors. If you have a clearance of 1' to the side of the middle doorway they will fit. The mounts can be adjusted both vertical and horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ...(hooks with molly expansion bolts in the ceiling)...
    I don't like this idea, at-all. Molly expansion bolts only?

I would sure find some floor/ceiling joists and get those lag eye-bolts into them. You are suspending a lot of weight on drywall which could catastrophically fail. A damned inconvenience in the least.

I've used those brackets Fred was discussing, for years, and I've used them most recently on the 4406. They work terrific. I never drill through, though - I use a short snubby 3/8" diameter wood bolt. But these are smaller than what you are "flying".

And, I always mount the brackets to wall studs - like the picture Peter (pmakres1) showed.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

majick47

Speaker mounting

Heather plan B might work as well if you want to keep the speakers in the corners and also horizontal. Home Depot , Lowes etc will have some shelf brackets, boards etc that will fit high on the wall.

majick47

Speaker Mounts

Heather option C, check Agon stands section for some Omnimount 30s, price is reasonable. You can mount the bracket horizontal/vertical to the speaker cabinet. I used bolts, nuts, washers, removed woofers to do it, but no worry of ever loosening/falling from bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    Heather option C, check Agon stands section for some Omnimount 30s, price is reasonable. You can mount the bracket horizontal/vertical to the speaker cabinet. I used bolts, nuts, washers, removed woofers to do it, but no worry of ever loosening/falling from bracket.

I'll look into that, thanks ... think Bo has lost faith with me - I'll just have to move Emma slowly to the idea of more holes in the wall (even if I can patch them later, the general idea can be traumatic for the other half ...)

Thread Information