Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with an E140

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Used them both, yup, years ago. Know the difference, too..The 140's WERE punchy for the bass guitar....but...the Fs is 40hz....not the F3....in any kind of alignment that would give even half way decent bass, with the qts of...what is it .21??? It just has no low end, or floor shake..and that's what bass is all about in a sub, I think..I am a celestion 12 fan, so the 130's did nothing for me except for clean stuff...and they are great for that.
    I wasn't trying to do anything but save him some time...if he was looking for bass, free in a dumpster, or not....there isn't much there...
    I think the best I got at the time was about 4.5 cu ft with a pair of them, tuned to 45 hz or something....clean, punchy, clear....and no bass.
    The E155's were another story....and a bigger box to carry...and they weren't free in a dumpster, either...
    Yeah, I hear you, i was just asking, but, I know the E-140 did give a punchy low end, not the deepest, but it worrked, IF you wanted that type of bass. I know the E-155,s well, used them for years as subs, loved em too, really loved em. But bigger driver for bigger box, and the dumpster didnt have any, so....

But, Ill tell you this, use some E-140,s as a midbass driver, and some really good 18,s underneath them, and stand back. But, not for portable use!

I agree though, the E-140 isnt a sub.

scottyj

pangea
    Thanks for your help!!! It'll help me avoid many trial and error mistakes and for that I'm very grateful!!!

BR
    Roland

luxmanlover

Plan B

A(n) E-140 is not a sub. However, just for fun, take a couple hours and whip up a junkply 250L box, tune it to around 25Hz which will give you an EBS alignment. Be very careful applying the wattage. I think the results would be interesting. I'll bet that if your buddy isn't looking for crazy dB he might be pleasantly surprised.
    Kelly

E140 is not a sub. However, put TWO of them in a 4685 TCB clone, tune to 27 and 70 Hz, and be happy:

[We'll want pics, of course.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

cubism is not art 101

Do NOT make a cube. Fundamental rule for bass enclosures is not to have any internal dimension a mathmetical multiple of another. Hello standing waves??

The E140 is a superb LF woofer but does have a bit of an "overtone" which colors the sound. Remember that the MI speakers "produce" the sound while the Professional ones "reproduce" the sound.

ok?

pangea
    Thank you all for your help, but what is an "EBS alignment"?

Could you please explain?

BR
    Roland

There's LOTs of subs on the market that have cube dimensions....probably because at those dimensions stuffed full of fiberfill it wont' make a damn bit of difference for standingwaves that are some 30 plus feet long with a passive radiator and a low pass filter

Geez....Pangea asked for a suggestion and I gave him a simple friggin' solution for his friend that FOUND AN E140 IN A DUMPSTER.

All you other geniuses that didn't step forward and give a suggestion, because mine obviously sucks... should go ahead and give your better solution....because obviously doing nothing would be far better.

I won't ever make another suggestion. I''l leave that up to the better minds here....k?

BTW....I never said an E140 is a subwoofer....I know that....it's a driver to drive the passive radiator that would be mass loaded to resonate in sub frequencies.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I won't ever make another suggestion. I''l leave that up to the better minds here....k?
    Nope.

luxmanlover

Exclamation EBS

EBS = Extended Bass Shelf. Basically take a box that is way too big for the driver, tune it lower than the Fs of the driver and there you are. If you run a simulation you will get 2 distinct "shelves", one being quite low. The kicker is that your power handling and effiency is way down , but , if spl isn't important, it is a viable alignment for some applications. (like dumpster subs)
    Kelly

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by luxmanlover View Post
    EBS = Extended Bass Shelf. Basically take a box that is way too big for the driver, tune it lower than the Fs of the driver and there you are. If you run a simulation you will get 2 distinct "shelves", one being quite low. The kicker is that your power handling and effiency is way down , but , if spl isn't important, it is a viable alignment for some applications. (like dumpster subs)
    Kelly

Ahhh thanks!!!

Would a 4 cu ft box with a passive radiator next to the E140, be large enough for EBS?
    I don't think that the reduced SPL will be an issue in his case. His main speakers are Jamo, which I think are danish.

BR
    Roland

if you go that large, you might not need a passive radiator. EBS -3 and -6dB examples
    shown ("limited" to about 110dB SPL@1m in the low 30Hz range... would take <100w
    maybe roll it off ~100Hz, depending on Jamo's & available crossover):

Maybe use 1" MDF, build a 20" cube. Mass weight the PR to resonate at 30hz or so
    For grins...

Simulated this with PartsExpress 15" PR (since they publish the specs and I'm too lazy
    to bother looking elsewhere)... and compared with same size box, tuned ~30Hz also...
    both are w/ 2nd order 80Hz LP running 100w input level.

Simple enough to cut a port bigger and add a passive radiator later, if one were so
    inclined to try -grumpy

pangea
    Many thanks for the graphics, I think the final result (30Hz tuning) will be sufficient to scare my friend out of his pants.

Perhaps I will even try to get an empty 4530 scoop as well, to see what it can do. They are sometimes found for sale, for a few bucks.

BR
    Roland

ha. yeah, that would be a good kick in the seat.
    just don't expect the bottom octave to be there.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ha. yeah, that would be a good kick in the seat.
    just don't expect the bottom octave to be there.
    '

I had a pair of 4530's with K145's, back in the seventies, so I'm aware of its pros and cons and I imagine the shear force just might compensate for the lack of deep end.

It's also possible that my friend, or should I say his wife, will have objections to the size, that he will let me have the E140, in which case I will not hesitate to let it sit next to my large W15GTI subwoofer.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information