Thread: Looky What I Just Got

Looky What I Just Got

Well after a long waiting session between the USPS loosing my money they finally arrived two days ago. (JBL L-15's) I'm sure all of you have had lots of fun with these little guys over the years, so I decide to try a set in my two channel room. I custom built speaker stands yesterday for them, and are running them off of my Nakamichi PA-7AII Power Amp, with the CA-5AII Preamp, and a Nakamichi OMS-1 CD player. Well I'm very impressed with
    the way they sound, and the low end coming from them is a little It is quite amazing for a 6", and the highs are very nice and detailed, the low end is very controlled, and qwik. Little over kill on the power input but they seem to like it. The Nak feeds them well. Still need to paint the stands, I used rubber pads on the bottom of the L-15's, and spikes from Parts Express to stabilize them, and couple them to the floor. (part no: 240-716) These spikes are killer, and the build quality A+++++.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=10721370

Pics below:

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Jeff-S1A

The stands look simple but nice. Did you glue as well as screw, and add a dowel, too? (It rhymes. )

Congrats on your "new" speakers.

Glued, screwed, and air nailed, they are not going anywhere, 1" thick top and bottom plates. This speaker set up is only temporary until?????????? (4425's)

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

I know what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Well after a long waiting session between the USPS loosing my money they finally arrived two days ago. (JBL L-15's) I'm sure all of you have had lots of fun with these little guys over the years, so I decide to try a set in my two channel room. I custom built speaker stands yesterday for them, and are running them off of my Nakamichi PA-7AII Power Amp, with the CA-5AII Preamp, and a Nakamichi OMS-1 CD player. Well I'm very impressed with
    the way they sound, and the low end coming from them is a little It is quite amazing for a 6", and the highs are very nice and detailed, the low end is very controlled, and qwik. Little over kill on the power input but they seem to like it. The Nak feeds them well. Still need to paint the stands, I used rubber pads on the bottom of the L-15's, and spikes from Parts Express to stabilize them, and couple them to the floor. (part no: 240-716) These spikes are killer, and the build quality A+++++.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=10721370

Pics below:

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Hi Jeff,
    I know what you mean about these little fellows. I believe they are the home version of the 4401 monitors (see photos), of which I own a pair; I run them on my office system. They do sound surprisingly good, with a good low end for their size, provided you don't "overdo it". If you want to really give them pizazz, do like I did and add a powered sub. I added a PB10 sub and I have great sound in my office!

Have fun friend!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1 View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    I know what you mean about these little fellows. I believe they are the home version of the 4401 monitors (see photos), of which I own a pair; I run them on my office system. They do sound surprisingly good, with a good low end for their size, provided you don't "overdo it". If you want to really give them pizazz, do like I did and add a powered sub. I added a PB10 sub and I have great sound in my office!

Have fun friend!

Peter
    Looks good. I do have a sub coupled in the system in the room, using a Velodyne CT-8. It's barley running the way I have it set. I have it so it is not too much, and blends in nice. My above comment about the L-15's low end response was running them alone. They are impressive like you say, crazy for a 6". Thank you for the nice comments.
    Enjoy the music.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A

P.S. I had a set of those 4401's, I bought them at a swap meet for $30.00 they needed a re-foam, and a refinish. Sold I sold them on e-bay b4 I new the re-foam was such an easy fix for a pro. I'm kicken myself in the A$$ for doing that now.
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    I do have a sub coupled in the system in the room, using a Velodyne CT-8.
    Cool! Then you are set to go!!

Peter

New Toys

New toys arrived today , replaced the L15's in the 2 channel room with a mint set of 4401's.
    Very nice indeed. Never re-foamed, all original, all cones in great shape, and foam on the woofers in great condition. (MINTY)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4536&rd=1&rd=1

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Friend of mine just picked up a pair of L166's with grills (need refoam - about half done by now) with good grills and cabinets at GW for $10 and another picked up a Pioneer SX-1250 (don't know if it works or not) for $5.
    I've got to get back on the thrifts circuit.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Nice setup and great job on the stands.

The foam on my pair of 4401's vanished years ago! With a refoam kit they were good as new. Must be something or lack of something in that Arizona air that preserves JBL surround foam! I bought mine new in 83 right after they came out.

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    The foam on my pair of 4401's vanished years ago! With a refoam kit they were good as new. Must be something or lack of something in that Arizona air that preserves JBL surround foam! I bought mine new in 83 right after they came out.

Mike Caldwell
    Hello Mike,
    These came from Florida, and I think the seller told me he was the original owner, so I think the humidity in FL. saved them. I am very surprised in the condition also. Seems kinda odd, but I checked them out thoroughly and they are still soft and no rotting what so ever. It is nice not to have worry about a re-foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post
    Nice setup and great job on the stands.
    Thank You.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Thread Information