Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing 14-1 w/14-3 in a 250

Replacing 14-1 w/14-3 in a 250

Received woofers yesterday. Luckily bribed a coworker for a rde home at lunch since they are too heavy to carry on the subway/bus/walk home. Finally about midnight I attempted install.

Original mounting screws are too short. The mounting holles are the same location but the lip is almost a 1/4 -1/2 inch thicker.

Also noted that surround sticks out past the frame so laying them face down is no longer accetpable...which also may make the grill interfer with them. I didn't finish checking, needed a 3rd hand

I bought longer (silver ) screw at the hardware store this morniing, 2nd attempt tonight

Mark

Awful Silver Screws

Get some gun blue and do the heads then they won't look like a pimple on a bum.
    Michael

I can assure you even if silver suddenly becomes the "hot" thing they still won't be silver too long. 1st to make sure not fitmant issues then make pretty.

My 108, 104 and (044 used) included gaskets , these didn't. nor are they packed as well as the other drivers. My supplier nicely dbl boxed.

Mark

My 108, 104 and (044 used) included gaskets , these didn't
    You can strip the rope gaskets off the LE-14H-1, assuming they have them, and use those temporarilly. That's what I did when I put mine in my subs for safe keeping and a little break in.

Rob

I did reuse the old ones they are already installed in the speakers, thanks much

what is this "temporarilly" though??? lol

Can I buy at a reg stereo store like a Tweeter?

Mark
    Still at work

Mark,
    I use these guys all the time for specialty bolts and nuts. They have it all. They will have the correct bolt, length, and color you need. You could even do Allen, or Torx Head if so desired.

http://www.copperstate.com/

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Thanks for the link. I will order black if they have it. I have just installed the silver screws which appear to function well in the interim

1st impression is positive, more so at higher volumes

more tomorrow

Mark

Question Phasing

Morning Mark,
    Here one to ponder. The LE14H-1 moves backwards with positive energy to the red lead. Which way does the LE14H-3 move? I'm guessing forward. (use a AA battery to find out) So which way is the correct way for hook up? Should they be hooked up out of phase? Green wire to black, and black to Red, or in phase according to color, Green to Red, and Black to Black?
    I think I remember someone saying the x-over has phase correction built in?
    Maybe Giskard can help with this question.?????????????

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Standard JBL polarity no change. It's right on the driver spec sheet. You guys need to get out more and learn what's on the site better.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=11317

Rob

Thank you Rob. You're the best. I sometimes can't find S#@$ using the search, I have been trying to do some research on the L-220, and using the search yesterday came up with a big fat 0. This looks like a very interesting speaker array, and thinking on building a pair. I went to the library, and what is there is all I've found on the site.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    I have been trying to do some research on the L-220, and using the search yesterday came up with a big fat 0. This looks like a very interesting speaker array, and thinking on building a pair.
    It's a facade. The L220 ranked a big fat 0 with JBL and that has been continued here as well. Let's spare a whole bunch of feelings and leave discussions about L220s and L222's to PM's or other websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    It's a facade. The L220 ranked a big fat 0 with JBL and that has been continued here as well. Let's spare a whole bunch of feelings and leave discussions about L220s and L222's to PM's or other websites.
    Well that would explain no findings then. I thought I was doing something wrong in the searching. Thank you Giskard, no need to spend money on that project then.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

A short update. Although the 14-3 sticks out further the grill does fit but it is close. I still haven't really pushed them but for few brief moderate spurts they are an improvement to me. More impact or feel then sound . more bass drum then bass guitar. My ears think that a brand new set of 14-1 would also have the same effect making the 14-3 and 14-1 equal. Most listening has been done to tune of NCAA Tourney and local basketball (Wizards) though.

next week my visitors will be gone and my repaired main receiver will be here, woofers more broken in, better listening tests

the woofers I tested w a battery for polarity when install since I can't find much on this site i don't try too much (plus I am lazy , i won't lie) and connected them the same way.

There is another difference I noticed. the terminals are 45 degrees off from the -1 . when the speakers are installed the 2 connections seen near the dustcap point 45 degrees right or left while the -1 are strait up and down or 90 to the rt or left. this matches my 108s. I have them pointing to the flat side of the verticle walls.

Mark

Obsolete
    I'm glad you like them. I think they are really nice bass drivers. I believe Robh3606 also has a new pair.

Thank you, I do and no refoaming!!!didn't want to say anything until you did.

When I get my tweeters back the only original part of my 250s will be the wood and grills!!! everything else has been replaced w/new drivers/parts or completely reworked/upgraded

Many thanks to Giskard, Guido and all that have helped me so much!!!!!

Mark

Thread Information