Thread: can i use altec mantaray horns on a-7

angel mercado

can i use altec mantaray horns on a-7

Im looking at some large horns Mantaray i dont know the model but i was told it was the big one like mike c has on his horn rig .I would like to use them on a pair of voice of the theatre cabinets a-7. and what drivers might fit on those horns if you have any info please let me know thank you

Todd W. White
    It would depend on the room you have - how big is it? The MANTARAY horns are quite large...

If you do this, you'll no longer have an actual A7 - what you will have is an A5.

Actually, it would properly be called an A5A/MR94 (if you were using an MR94).

The driver would have to be the larger format Altec model - the 288 or 299 would work best.

The A5 only works well in large rooms...

If you want to use the A7 with a Mantaray horn, the only one that would be proper would be the MRII594, which is a 500 Hz style, 90 x 40 Mantaray designed for use with the above mentioned drivers.

angel mercado
    well the room is 13 by 22 but i just love the way those look and what about the crossover oh by the way i see your from sapulpa im in tulsa howdy neighbor

Todd W. White
    They'd be pretty BIG for that sized room, I'd think - I'd go with the A7/MR994 (A7 with a 902 coupled to an MR994 90 x 40 Mantaray horn) if I were you.

Crossovers for the A5 are 500 Hz, and 800 Hz for the A7.

stpower
    Angel,

The large Mantarays are really designed for use with the larger 210 enclosures used in the A1, A2, and A-4. To properly phase-align the horn on an A-7/A-5 box would require the front of the horn to be several inches in front of the enclosure. It would work but wouldn't look very good. I would just use the smaller MrII-594 with large format driver or MR994 with small format driver.

stpower

angel mercado
    finnally got the horns and i painted both cabinet and horn burgandy to make the wife semi happy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

angel mercado
    this is a better pi sorry crappy camera
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike C
    So how do they sound? I'm keen to see if your experiances are the same as mine.

angel mercado
    hey mike i waiting on the woofers getting them redone and diaphrams too ill let you know asap

Quote Originally Posted by angel mercado View Post
    Im looking at some large horns Mantaray i dont know the model but i was told it was the big one like mike c has on his horn rig .I would like to use them on a pair of voice of the theatre cabinets a-7. and what drivers might fit on those horns if you have any info please let me know thank you
    I have the same horns and am using 291 16 ohm drivers.
    The tweets are MR1602 and the base is a pair of 816 cabinets, sub is 8182. Separate amps, total power 2.5 kw.
    Hi-Fi doesn't get any better if you like live concert videos.
    Anyway the 291's are worth it.

So how do they sound?

I may be getting a MR94 but am concerned whether it has the same mid range hump as their sectoral horn. Also do the MR94 needs EQ to work properly?

Thanks.

Todd W. White
    No.

Mr994a + a7

The MR994A is the correct Mantaray horn for A7, it has the full monty frequency responce to replace the 511B. Sounds beautiful so your A7's will become A7/MR994A. IMHO that was the finest Altec combo. The legacy should have been issued with this. As historic as the 511B is its "peakiness" and other resonances areName:  Screenshot_2015-12-02-12-18-10-1.png
Views: 3854
Size:  144.1 KB overcome with the MR994A.

Quote Originally Posted by angel mercado View Post
    this is a better pi sorry crappy camera

I have used A7s for many years, mostly in the early 70s as a way to make our mostly useless amps sound better.

These days, I see them as a jazz "Way to go!" really dynamic, type thing. Add a powerful (you will need a very powerful low end to match with an A7s low mids, etc. They can knock your hat off around 100Hz to 300Hz) sub and you will have something special, no matter what you listen to.

I have only used Altec 811, 511 with these cabs, and loved every minute of it, but you may be treading new territory with those horns, but I doubt it.

Surely someone with prior experience will chime in soon. You are not alone. Lots of folk love these beasts.

Thread Information