Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    I gather that 3 way crossover is the right thing for all of that series 4340/41/43/45?

And its charge-coupled?
    There are actually three diffrerent versions currently. The first is for the 2122H, 2421/2425 and 2307/2308, and 2405. The second is for a TAD in place of the JBL 2421/2425 and the third is for a 1.5" exponential and the 435Be.

I do believe there is a pair of 2123H's on their way to me to also work up but that will be awhile.

I no longer build anything that isn't charge-coupled. Even my Tannoy DC's received charge coupled filters.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    LE14H-1s or H-3s just get it much better....
    Yeah... I agree... but they will never yield the same impact through the midbass and midrange that the venerable ten yields.

Regardless, my current favorite is a JBL 15-inch 2-way, by a long shot. The long and short of it is, there is a real good reason to keep something like a 4345 around and there is a real good reason to go with something like a K2-S5800 or Everest II. Honestly though, if you have to pick just one go with the Everest II - no contest. If you don't have to pick just one, keep a bunch of different ones around.

I think LE15A was a major factor. Those aren't very capable at 1 kHz. Even 2235s are a compromise. (Love 'em tho. )

LE14H-1s or H-3s just get it much better....
    Well I hope the diferential drive drivers are headed between the Le-14's and any horn driver combo you end up with. You really should try and drop a 10" into the mix. It's just another level of refinement that's very difficult to match short of Everest 2.

Rob

Tell me this, Giskard, please. I was reviewing an earlier thread on the sujbect just last night, and never quite got the answer:

If I recone LE14As with LE14H-1 kits,

A) Are they fully compatible?

B) Do I get H-1's flatter response and better HF extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well I hope the diferential drive drivers are headed between the Le-14's and any horn driver combo you end up with. You really should try and drop a 10" into the mix. It's just another level of refinement that's very difficult to match short of Everest 2.
    DRAT!

I'm BUSTED!!

Obsolete
    I know this doesn't answer your question but I wouldn't waste my time with an LE14A at this point, sorry.
    The LE14H SFG assembly is just a better assembly.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    DRAT!

I'm BUSTED!!

Well... I suspected as much. I would suggest you not waste your time on anything but bi-amp only between the fourteen and the ten.

I went with the twelve myself even though I've never been a JBL twelve fan per se. The 1200FE is a really nice transducer and it works really well between a W1500H and compression top end. The fourteen and the ten should also work really well.

Thanks, Giskard.

I'll probably be askin' for some assistance once I explore these a bit....

Hello Zilch

Which 10's did you get?? The ones used in the Hercules center channel??

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Which 10's did you get?? The ones used in the Hercules center channel??
    MAY bee.

Or plain ol' Pro 2251J. It gets kinda expensive to try many alternatives in this....

The journey reboots!
    I just bought a set of JBL 4341 monitors from a recording studio in Pennsylvania. These historical Greg Timbers designed JBL 4-ways will replace the hybrid 4 ways I was building in two cabinets (L-200s on the bottom, "slot-boxes with 2405/2123s in upper boxes).

Follow the audio path here - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=16263

This thread can now be closed ... (extraneous stuff removed)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Just when I thought it was safe to close the thread - had put the L200s up for sale and everything and the thread continues ... July 22, 2007!!

I set the L200s up in our living room - its a long room like the TV room but has a wood floor, cathedral ceiling and skylights. Took new pictures and had them posted to Craig's List DC - had 3 potential buyers - and the one who offered $50 over my price last night made a date to come check them out and pick them up today (Sunday) at 3PM. I hooked up my old 110w/ch JVC receiver and a CD player to demo them. Sounded real nice in the room, even in 2-way mode 2215s, le85s and 3110 crossovers. Picked out a couple CDs for demoing them - Boz Scaggs Dig, Geogi Fedora (awesome clarinet & Klezmer on the Delos label), Aja, of course, and a few other things. Had them playing today while we were doing house cleaning, and darned if we didn't fall in love with them in this new space all over again. We'd really never played music in that space and with the high ceiling, the sound really opens up nicely.

Well, at least we talk easily - Emma said she really liked those speakers in that room and didn't want to sell them - she asked me to call Yong (the would be buyer - who was already on the way here!) and tell him they were off the market, and that we decided they weren't for sale. She was right - if we sold them, what would we get that would replace them with such a great sound. Besides, we knew what condition all the parts were in - we knew what we had. I had no idea she'd accept two big sets of speakers in the house. The money would've been nice, but what the heck.
    Ahhhh - who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The journey reboots!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

je

p.s.

Evolve again ...

So, all week long I've been thinkin' - if we are gonna keep the L-200s anyway - and considering I have all these spare parts gathering dust, just laying around from my DIY 4-way project (a pair of 2405 slots plus the Giskard-Equivalent 3133 networks I built last year), I may as well bit the bullet, bore the holes, and turn these into 3 ways ... what have we got to loose??

So - on a rainy sunday afternoon ... Voila!

Not sure what to call them - its a sorta bastard system with the 4320 components (2215 + 2420/2307/2308) in the "pretty" L-200 cabinets, with slots. Not quite L300s or 4333s (wrong woofer), but they really do sound nice. Emma approves (played Aja and was quite happy!)

The next step will be ...
    couple days ago on ebay I won a Yamaha CR-2020 (analog) receiver to run the system. I bought a CR-400 in '76 when I got my L36s - sounded real nice didn't have enough power. The CR-2020 is 100w/ch stereo and will replace the old JVC surround currently running the L200 3ways in the Living room (it used to run my main system but was was cast off that when I biAmped that and put the Harman-Kardon in place.

Wow, those look geat!

Congrats on the woodworking skills!

Glad you are keeping them.

-Storm.

Thread Information