Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Hello Heather

You don't have Preamp out jacks??

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

Rob
    Not on that unit - its been a trusty servant - but its 7 years old or so now.
    So I'm looking into some of the HK receivers - they sound interesting, have optical switching (like the JVC does) but apparently they have preamp outputs for all 5 (7.1?) channels so you can substitute higher powered amps at will.

This is the 2nd JVC receiver I've had. I got the first one at CircuitCity chain and had extended warrrantee - with the caveat that if they couldn't fix a problem after 3 attempts they'd replace the unit. Well, at 4 1/2 years the DTS circuits failed and they couldn't fix it, so I got full value in trade - and got this model. That was nearly 7 years ago. Why JVC initially?
    Originally I had their cassette deck, CD player and VCR and they connected together with a mini-phone cable that shared function data between them. Put in a CD and the receiver would switch to CD mode and whatever settings you had last time you played a CD. When I added DVD that also had similar functionality. Put in a DVD and it would switch to digital inputs and 5.1 mode. Very nice smart unit at the time.

But no preamp out! - what to do, what - to - do ... cheap upgrade!

EDIT - 9PM - I won the auction from Harman Direct for a model HK AVR 335 7.1 receiver - it looks like the minimum I would need to have optical switching and full access to preamp out signals. Hopefully Harman will ship that out in the next week and I can get that into place before the end of the month. Its a 2ch/5.1/7.1 receiver with 55w/ch in surround mode. My rear speakers are the L20Ts, so they shouldn't need huge gobs of power - 55 watts ought to be enough for the rears (and side channels if I want).
    The biggie is I can use the front & Sub Preamp outs with discrete amps for the main speakers (or feed an active crossover & biamp the mains).

I should have a JBL M552 active crossover arriving soon as well. (thanks to Zilch for lending me all his gear for a while - the 552 seemed like a real handy tool to have around!) - so I can try biamping again when I have the new gear in place.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Update:
    Got the L20T speakers - soaked them with feed'nwax and hung them in the rear of the room instead of the G100s we previously used as rear surrounds.

Got the JBL M552 active crossover

Wired banana connectors on all speaker lines at the speaker ends (and the front 3133 crossover) so I can change things around quickly.

The HK Citation 22 uses oversize weird connectors so I've just got twisted copper at there and at the (JVC) receiver.

The HK AVR 335 is due tomorrow - and I expect it will take a while to get that into place and stable ...

I may have time for more biAmp fun by end of the week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

That empty floor/wall space would last all of 10 minutes here.

[Maybe 5, only.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    That empty floor/wall space would last all of 10 minutes here.

[Maybe 5, only.... ]
    Zilch - what empty wall space?

Immediately out of view at the left corner is the door into the basement/laundry room - just slightly left of. that are the stairs up to the living room. Can't block that.

immediately out of view at the right corner is the door to the patio and outdoors. Can't block that.

Immediately dead ahead (behind the plaid entertainment couch) is the kitchen (and the beer, scotch, etc!) CAN'T block THAT!

If I put any more pictures on the wall the JBLs will shake them down.
    My only other plans for the room is to trash that blue rug and Pergo the
    floor (cement slab - a bit cool in winter - wood covering would help) - and widen the entrance to the kitchen - maybe an arch over the opening.

The equipment rack would roll a lot easier on a wood floor.

Ah well - got more yard work to do today - I'm headed back outdoors - time to muck out the pond for spring - the birdies are callin' and want a bath.
    Talk to you later.

Wow, that first picture really does make it look like there's endless space in there. The next two pictures tell a totally different story. What a difference!

The next two pictures tell a totally different story. What a difference!
    Yeah isn't that amazing how different rooms can look from a different point of view!

Rob

So - now that you've seen the room -
    am I overspeakered yet, or do I need to add more?

Its impressive with the sub and everything going ... woah!

that new HK AVR-335 receiver says it'll do 7.1 instead of the 5.1 we currently do ... that'd be like being inside a pair of headphones, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Wow, that first picture really does make it look like there's endless space in there. The next two pictures tell a totally different story. What a difference!

Do you get an audible slapback from those rear walls? Might it be worth considering something to soften them, tapestry or something to break them up? If it's not an issue, I think you're probably fine.

Who am I kidding? Go get more.

je

im getting more discriminating and to me one really good set trumps multiple sets.(even though i have 4sets not counting the computer)when music becomes too accessible or frequent it can easily become wallpaper and i like it to be an event.that being said it is nice to have a back up plan.it appears that heather is building the set up very near the one that i have been kicking around in my head for a long time.i kind of thought of something similar to 4343 4350 components in cabinets ala gordon from atlantas avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

Rob
    I do now!
    The refurbed HK AVR 335 from HarmanDirect arrived today - got it in the rack and have most of the sources connected. I'm getting familar with all of its settings and options. I'm just running it in 5.1 mode (max) for DVD and TV mode; 2 channel stereo for CDs and Airtunes.
    In a couple days I can tie the Zilch-gear in again and hear what it sounds like with better sourcing.

Zilch Cloth arrived - Speakers play dress up!

Did a quick spray adhesive job on the grill frames I made last night just to cover up all the speaker hardware - That dark Pro monitor blue doesn't look bad on those L200 boxes! Thank you for the quick shipping, Zilch!

Edit: Right speaker image updated via prompt from Zilch! Noshade for you!

lookin good !!!! can I come by for a demo ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    im getting more discriminating and to me one really good set trumps multiple sets.(even though i have 4sets
    Jim

I too have 4 complete rigs. But 3 of them (which wud be premire systems, in my friends homes) are superfluous next to the OHM system. It is so good that the other 3 just dont get much play.

I think that will happen to you too, once you get those 77k$ speakers home. The other sets wont be worth your "ear time".
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

[If I was there, I'd straighten the lampshade for you, fully appreciating there ARE priorities, of course.... ]

Thread Information