Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But these new ones are keepers!
    Indeed! Very nice - congrats on the score

When's that listening party?

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

2405 Slot driver Template

I took this image from the JBL Pro brochure, resized it up and down a bit until I had matching dimensions. If you "save the image to your computer, print this graphic at 100%, it should be a life-size template for centering and drilling holes to mount a 2405 driver to your baffle board.

Just lay a ruler along the printout and be sure the 3 7/8 inch scale and the 3 1/8 dimension match up on your ruler. Drill the opening for the slot to 3 1/8 ... Or use a 3 1/4 hole saw and use a bit of dumdum to seal the face of the tweeter to the baffle board.

I'll be using this to set everything up for my "new" L200B cabinets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I took this image from the JBL Pro brochure, resized it up and down a bit until I had matching dimensions. If you "save the image to your computer, print this graphic at 100%, it should be a life-size template for centering and drilling holes to mount a 2405 driver to your baffle board.

Just lay a ruler along the printout and be sure the 3 7/8 inch scale and the 3 1/8 dimension match up on your ruler. Drill the opening for the slot to 3 1/8 ... Or use a 3 1/4 hole saw and use a bit of dumdum to seal the face of the tweeter to the baffle board.

I just mark the centerpoint for the tweeters on the baffleboard and use a 3-1/8" hole saw to make the hole. Then just insert the driver into the hole backwards from the front of the cabinet. Use a bubble level to get the top edge level and use a "point" to mark the holes to be drilled. This is probably easier using AlNiCo tweeters though as it is easier to get at the screw holes.

Did the driver migration today. Used a ruler to mark off centerlines for the 2405s, used the templates and the holes fell into place perfectly.
    Walked away for a few to grab a vacuum and when I got back I found the inspector had arrived on the job site
    and had to be appeased before the jpb could continue.

Pulled the old boxes down 1 by 1 - drilled holes for the satellite board and the dual pot (mid--hi level),
    migrated all the parts tested everything - a quick wipe of orange oil on top, then the glass and the 2397s ... then popped in the brown grills!
    Someday I'll have sign--shop make me some custom foilcals for them - something like "L200-Plus"

Even with Zilch plugs in the one port, these things have some bass with those 2234s - hooha!

Still have to do something with the old cabs, but tomorrow is another day ... and so is Monday!

I know the wheel carts aren't great, but they work and allow me to hustle these things around without injury!
    A better pair is on the agenda ...

Attached Images Attached Images     
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    When's that listening party?

Mark
    later'n the month, I 'spose ...

But it sounds like a real improvement - Emma asked if we could maybe get a second set for the 4341s (she didn't realize the price of the 2397s, so I explained that side of it to her ...)

But - they are a hit!

(The real trick would be to get a set with a nice hardwood finish - but that's a ways down the road!)
    Way to go Heather!

As luck would have it, I have a pair of L200B and a pair of 4320 sitting around collecting dust. I had given thought of making some Smith Horns myself.. although I thought I'd just do a two way... The other pair might get a set of Unity Horns.

If I do make a set of Smith horns, do you still want a set? Once you set up to make two, four are about as easy.. What wood are you thinking? My cabs are Walnut, so I figured I'd do Walnut..

Wow - you DO have quite the collection!
    'course my newer interest in JBLs started with 4320s, then moved the parts into the L200s, which have a better SAF with Emma as well as me!

Interested in Walnut smith horns? Absolutely! We love the sound of the JBL smithhorns (even with 24020s!), but that grey is flat ugly, and painting them would ruin the collectors resale value without helping the looks much.
    But there's always a place here for nice wood!

What kind of time frame - a winter project?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Way to go Heather!

As luck would have it, I have a pair of L200B and a pair of 4320 sitting around collecting dust. I had given thought of making some Smith Horns myself.. although I thought I'd just do a two way... The other pair might get a set of Unity Horns.

If I do make a set of Smith horns, do you still want a set? Once you set up to make two, four are about as easy.. What wood are you thinking? My cabs are Walnut, so I figured I'd do Walnut..

What kind of time frame - a winter project?
    With me, ya just never know.. I might get them done in a month or a year from now, it could still be on my to do list.. However, yes, I'd like to get them done in November or December...

Do you want 1" exits? Also, I am thinking 800 Hz, but may push it down to 500 Hz for a second set. The 800 Hz appears to be about 15.5" wide and 2.25" tall, while the 500 Hz calculates to about 37" wide.. according to the formula I have..

Here's a really nice looking project..

single L200B cabinet for free - DC/Md/VA/local

Okay, the driver migration is done, the new builds sound great - so - what to do with the older funky boxes? On close inspection, only one of them is really bad with apparent freeze damage and some separating of the top left corner. The other looks to be in pretty good shape, and is already pre-drilled for 3 way use.

So, the plan is to keep the good box from the old pair, and built it up to match the nicer pair ... for eventual use as the front center box in a surround system. I have an extra 3133 crossover built, and extra LE85 and 2405 slot. All I'll need is a single 2234 to match the others, plus a single screen and grill, and to build another Lpad board to mount inside the baffle

But the other L200B cabinet ... its still functional, but I'd hate to put it on the curb for Monday trash pickup ...

Does anyone (local) want it?

Shipping isn't going to happen, but its free for local pickup!

Yep, good stuff indeed!

Okay, the driver migration is done, the new builds sound great - so - what to do with the older funky boxes? On close inspection, only one of them is really bad with apparent freeze damage and some separating of the top left corner. The other looks to be in pretty good shape, and is already pre-drilled for 3 way use.

So, the plan is to keep the good box from the old pair, and built it up to match the nicer pair ... for eventual use as the front center box in a surround system. I have an extra 3133 crossover built, and extra LE85 and 2405 slot. All I'll need is a single 2234 to match the others, plus a single screen and grill, and to build another Lpad board to mount inside the baffle

But the other L200B cabinet ... its still functional, but I'd hate to put it on the curb for Monday trash pickup ...

Does anyone (local) want it?

Shipping isn't going to happen, but its free for local pickup!
    Hmmm...a center channel between my 4333As...

Nah- thanks, though.

je

you really should from a guy who hs 3 250s accross the front...
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

you really should from a guy who hs 3 250s accross the front...
    Agreed - and - the L200 has such good spouse acceptance factor!
    plus, its not hard to do the rear bump-out and fit the long horn in there to sonically match your 4333s!

You can pick it up at the listening party Heather said would be soon...I could even store it til then if needed...and since I know Heather so well I asked her to cut the price in 1/2 just for YOU!

You can pick it up at the listening party Heather said would be soon...I could even store it til then if needed...and since I know Heather so well I asked her to cut the price in 1/2 just for YOU!
    Well, seeing as since you guys were last here I've picked up 8 more JBL cabs, I think I gotta stick with the projects that are already on my plate.

Maybe I'll bring Heather some cabs to build into rear speakers for this room...

je

Thread Information