Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

JBL 4645
    Bookshelf with random and odd objects placed within and on top will be doing something good or then again could be worse. Take a look at the heap I have lined along on the left side in my livingroom, now that’s bad LOL. I have no idea when I’m going to stick it in the bedroom, soon, soon.

Guess you could support a false ceiling that is even horizontally. You’ll have to remove a few shelves and anything less that I can’t see in the picture.

But I don’t see it as of paramount importance. The walls are odd shape same as mine that will be dealt with soon, soon. Does that room have window in the ceiling looks like it, looks like some natural light seeming though overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Aw, no more Teddy.

My dad used to love hjames, AKA Harry James. Made me listen to him all the time.

I still listen to hjames today, but only the "girl" on Lansing Heritage. Must say I like her better.
    I listened to lots of Harry James on my Dad's old 45s, actually only got rid of them very recently.

Still remember being awed by "Flight of the Bumblebee" on trumpet as a kid.

je

Okay - I've been playing with the L100Ts lately, the the crossovers that Duanage upped to T3 specs, so I haven't posted much on the L200 project lately.
    Last I spoke I had gotten a pair of 2312 LongHorns and built some bump-out boxes, so I could put a hole in the back of the cabinet for the extended length of the longhorns with driver, and still have the back of the cabinet "sealed" so the ports would work. But I hadn't made the rear holes to do so yet.

Well, earlier this year I got a pair of 2425 horn drivers with aquaplas ti diaphram.

And in early June I got a pair of JBL 2397 "Smith horns", aka "Duck lips".
    They're made for 2 inch drivers like the 2441, so I had to get 2327 adapters to mount up my smaller 2420 drivers.
    And I did. And made cork gaskets and bolted everything together ... lots of bolts ...

I was going to test the smith horns with the loose 2425s, but then last weekend I decided to put them where they belong, in the 4341, which freed up the pair of 2420s they had come with.

So yesterday I took one of my 3-way L200s, laid it on its back and disconnected the Lpad lead from the internal horn, and ran it to the extra banana jacks on the back of that cabinet (left over from when I biamped them). Remember, these cabinets are using the 3133 Equiv circuits
    (like 4333 system) 4313B shared with us a year or two back. And current drivers are 2234, 2420, 2405 slots - 3 ways.

Anyway, with a short jumper, I ran mids out of the cabinet and into the smith horn laying on top. I just did this with the left speaker, the right one still has the original 2307 and driver. Gave me a good chance to do a fair A/B (Thanks Toddalin)

Played Famous Blue raincoat and Aja - and it sounded like the right horn dominated the room. Seemed shrill. Unhooked the right speaker (2307 cab) and let it play single channel and - it sounded better!

The Smith horn has a wide sound stage but is very directional, height-wise.
    This is only a brief comment and with luck I'll swap the other horn after work today and have more info for this thread, but ... time to scoot!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Okay - got home by 4PM today, rolled the other cabinet out of the corner, laid it out, pulled the woofer and switched the mid-horn wiring to the extra rear pair of banana jacks. flipped it back onto the wheeled plinth, put the glass on top, a thin sheet of foam, the horn assembly, and connected it up just like the left one yesterday, rolled it back into place on the right, then tested it - played these tracks:

Bryan Ferry - Avalon Ballroom - (live tracks from his Big Band tour of 98)
    Van Morrison - No Guru ... - Track 2, then skipped around a bit
    Steely Dan - 2 Against Nature - Dupree, and skipped a bit ...
    Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon - Dance Along the Edge (Thanks Ducatista!)
    Lyle Lovette - Joshua ... - Church, and "Already Made up her Mind"
    Peter Gabriel - San Jacinto and Shock the Monkey
    Joe Jackson - Body and Soul - jumped around a bit
    Oh, one other disc -
    Giora Feidman Magic of the Klezmer (Cut 14 - Gershwin suite - Delos CD)
    that sold us on the sound near immediately ... you can distinguish the reed noises now!

Emma says the effect is like going to a more accoustic speaker, and says she is hearing details we didn't hear with the 2307 horns - imaging is better as well. Sound field has better definition.

Its not strictly a double-blind test - The smith horns are using the 2420s that came with the 4341s (which probably have Tia diaphrams). The L200 2307/2420 horn combo came from the 4320s I got in Philly but they they are undisturbed as well - maybe AL diaphrams?? Just don't know.

But it sounds like a real improvement - Emma asked if we could maybe get a second set for the 4341s (she didn't realize the price of the 2397s, so I explained that side of it to her ...)

But - they are a hit!

(The real trick would be to get a set with a nice hardwood finish - but that's a ways down the road!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Emma asked if we could maybe get a second set for the 4341s ...

But - they are a hit!
    Excellent! With the improvements in imaging and definition it sounds like it's definitely been a worthwhile investment. And when the OH asks you to possibly buy more, well ... you know you've done good!

Morning, Heather,

BRAVO!! Well done, and thanks, very much, for the report!! I like the Duck-billed Platypus, too!! From reading your report, I'm even more excited about playing with my own 2397's. I, too, have a pair of 2420's, which are currently living in the 4333 cabs I got from Grumpy. But, my original plan was to use the 2397's with the 2445J's I got from Todd, and electronically cross them over. We'll see how that turns out. In any case, it's very nice to see that you've gotten right to it, and made this happen in your system. It's also very nice that Emma appreciates good sound, and is supportive in your love of the same!! Like you, I am blessed with my Sweet Bride, who is very supportive of this crazy, but very satisfying JBL hobby/devotion/love!! Again, well done, and thanks for sharing your impressions of this new setup! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Okay - 'nother darned change to the "parlor" system.
    Its current got the L100T/3s at one end of the room and the L200+2397 3ways at the other ...was driven by a Yamaha CR1020 - that started acting up ...
    Well, after some research and a fortunate ad in the local Craigslist ... I've added another Carver piece to my collection ... a 6250 receiver - with remote!

The sound is really good and its rated 130w/ch - certainly gets the L100T/3 kicking!

Okay - 'nother darned change to the "parlor" system.
    Its current got the L100T/3s at one end of the room and the L200+2397 3ways at the other ...was driven by a Yamaha CR1020 - that started acting up ...
    Well, after some research and a fortunate ad in the local Craigslist ... I've added another Carver piece to my collection ... a 6250 receiver - with remote!

The sound is really good and its rated 130w/ch - certainly gets the L100T/3 kicking!
    Always with the changes Oh wait - I do that too ...... nevermind.

It sure looks nice. Any specifics on how it compares to the Yamaha?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Always with the changes Oh wait - I do that too ...... nevermind.

It sure looks nice. Any specifics on how it compares to the Yamaha?
    Well, the Yamaha CR-1020 was one of the top receivers they made circa 77-79 ...
    The Vintage Knob rated it quite highly - and was something I lusted after for many years -
    but its strictly manual and a few years old. I'll have it checked out and adjusted - but the carver seems like a real nice standby!

The Carver sounds very nice so far, but I'll have to really give it a shakedown to see for sure.
    Its really nice and full with the L100T/3s - on the more efficient L200-3ways ... I need some close-up listening time.
    Tuner seems VERY sensitive - picks up lots of local FMs with just a hunk of coax -
    once I plugged the coax into the BIC Beam Box I had even more!

Pretty colorful, with various yellow and red lamps for FM tuning and power level meters -

It does have the Sonic Holography stuff ... will have to check that out too!

I bought it from the original owner - he got it at Leachmere's in Cambridge, MA back in '89 -
    but said its been on a shelf unused for the last few years.

The specs in the back of the manual sound real conservative 125w/ch 8 ohm,
    claims 0.1 thd ... but it sounds a lot cleaner!

Bob Carver knows how to design a good amp.

"The specs in the back of the manual sound real conservative 125w/ch 8 ohm,
    claims 0.1 thd ... but it sounds a lot cleaner!"

My guess is that the 0.1 THD is at max power just before the onset of clipping. For most listing levels the THD is much less.

When I met Bob Carver back when the PL700 first came out he said that is how he rates the amps. Below clipping the highest the distortion will ever get is .1 THD.

More L200 Cabinets from Aberdeen

The original cabinets I did this project in were nice, but had some flaws - one cabinet started to separate on the top left, the front molding were a bit battered, and there were some scratches and such. But I did the upgrades with 2405 slot tweeters and the 3133 (4333) crossovers, and once we put them in our upstairs living room, the sound made them keepers.
    But I figured if I ever find a better pair of cabinets, I'd snap them up and move the parts into them.

So, when I saw my buddy Stuart in Aberdeen had a pair of L200 cabinets listed on ebay, I asked for some better pictures. The auction never met his reserve but he and I came to terms afterwards, and both of us are happy!

He's about 2 hours from our house, so we drove up Saturday, and as always, he has an amazing collection of stuff in process. But as it looked like rain was on the way, after a while we loaded the cabs in the back of the CRV and headed back to VA ...

I've got to drill the baffles for the 2405 slots, and the extra hole for the treble adjust pot, but - the cabs are VERY clean and will upgrade our project speakers into very nice furniture ... Of course, replacing the grey 2397 smith horns with a nice pair of walnut or rosewood horns would set them off perfectly!

One we got the new cabinets in the room I gave them a mild wipe with Orange oil and voila!! (that's Viola for you Phil) ...

So, in a couple weeks, once I get the grills and drivers swapped around, I'll have an extra set of L200 cabs, if anyone has a pending project. 4 of these cabs have eaten my living room, for sure!
    But these new ones are keepers!

I always liked the look of the L200 cabinet. Those look like they'll fit in nicely.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've got to drill the baffles for the 2405 slots, and the extra hole for the treble adjust pot, but - the cabs are VERY clean and will up our speakers into very nice furniture ...

4 of these cabs have eaten my living room, for sure!
    Heather, it sure has been fun to watch you evolve! Well done...

Hey!
    You have the Wendy Carlos boxed set...isn't it great?

Quote Originally Posted by goodbalance View Post
    Hey!
    You have the Wendy Carlos boxed set...isn't it great?
    Yep, good stuff indeed!
    I've got an Elvis box set, a Grateful Dead box, Lou Reed box, Muddy Waters Chess box, Patsy Cline box, a pair of King Crimson boxes ... and I'm sure some others - my tastes are all over the map!

Thread Information