Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1500al

Obsolete

1500al

For those of you who ordered these drivers I just received word that they are literally on the assembly line right now so it shouldn't be too much longer. The extremely gracious woman walking this through the system visited the line a few hours ago. She has bent over backwards to make this happen. If I'm not mistaken a few JBL engineers are also following the progress.

My understanding is that someone placed a very large order for the discontinued K2-S9800 and someone at JBL took the order. JBL Manufacturing was only able to finish half the order before they were closed down at the end of June. They had also run out of 1500AL's. So, some 1500AL's for the K2-S9800 order and some for us and that's the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    For those of you who ordered these drivers I just received word that they are literally on the assembly line right now so it shouldn't be too much longer. The extremely gracious woman walking this through the system visited the line a few hours ago. She has bent over backwards to make this happen. If I'm not mistaken a few JBL engineers are also following the progress.

My understanding is that someone placed a very large order for the discontinued K2-S9800 and someone at JBL took the order. JBL Manufacturing was only able to finish half the order before they were closed down at the end of June. They had also run out of 1500AL's. So, some 1500AL's for the K2-S9800 order and some for us and that's the end of it.
    Amazing!
    Congratulations!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

any extras ?

Please lret mr know if there are any etras ..

`rich

That's a nice piece of history for the purchasers

Literally, some of the last items out of the factory.

?!? I thought you just can't-no-way-no-how buy raw drivers from these people!
    Is it still possible to put in an order? How?

Obsolete
    How
    We had to place a large minimum order and then find some people internally to champion the cause. It's probably not the best way of doing business but we did the best we could. There's no doubt it was a one-time opportunity. All the other orders placed for various drivers that forum members wanted for their projects were initially accepted and then rejected. It hasn't been a very fun six months.
    Why did you post this publicly?
    Because I'm tired of trying to answer PM's with sixty second wait times in between. I have no patience for it any longer.

I hope we see some posted projects from this endeavor...

There's no doubt it was a one-time opportunity. All the other orders placed for various drivers that forum members wanted for their projects were initially accepted and then rejected.

I tried ordering drivers through a variety of "normal" channels and got shut down regardless of who I spoke with. Congratulations on persevering and making this happen. I don't think there is a better woofer built... because of your efforts a few more people will be very happy.

Widget

We had to place a large minimum order and then find some people internally to champion the cause. It's probably not the best way of doing business but we did the best we could. There's no doubt it was a one-time opportunity. All the other orders placed for various drivers that forum members wanted for their projects were initially accepted and then rejected. It hasn't been a very fun six months.Because I'm tired of trying to answer PM's with sixty second wait times in between. I have no patience for it any longer.

Who's better than you? That you got it done, at all, is amazing!

I don't profess to know what the market for SUPREMIUM drivers such as the 1500AL will or will not support, especially in todays screwed up world economy. Yet, it seems as if there is a market for this high level of components, and people that are willing to pony up the price to have the ultimate expression of JBL sound. I assume that IF JBL so desired to manufacture and make available this driver on a limited yearly basis, they would be able to sell entire product runs.

Of course, I agree with Widget, because of YOU there will be some super happy end users out there and I also hope to hear about and see finished project reviews here on this forum. I also re-read the article on the development of the 1500AL and how they updated and modernized the tried and true Alnico motor and underhung coil topology, and at least I know JBL CAN IF THEY WANT TO!

scottyj

congrats

I second the motion!

I can't afford a driver of that caliber and can't complain about my 2226's either, but I think the forum members who bought the 1500AL's should share their projects with us!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

I also re-read the article on the development of the 1500AL and how they updated and modernized the tried and true Alnico motor and underhung coil topology,
    I would very much like to read that, can you direct me to it please?

Many thanks,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I would very much like to read that, can you direct me to it please?

Many thanks,
    Barry.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...ogy/1500al.htm

Here it is, and it is good reading! The more you search through this forum, the more you always find something you never knew, THIS forum more than any other audio forum REALLY educated me on things I had heard of but never saw or heard. My uncle had always told me JBL once made folded horns like the HUGE Richard Long Levan Horns, made famous in the 70,s at NYC nightclubs like Studio54, and THE PARADISE GARAGE. And here in our library I found the articles and pictures about Shearer horns, and WOW, striking similarity of early bass horns from the 30,s and 40,s and I began to really understand how influential, and how long ago James B. Lansing pioneered what the master audio designers of the 70,s and 80,s were doing!

Not to mention the fact that this site also has a huge number of absolutely brilliant people and we are made up of hobbyists, DIY,ers, semi-pro and pro sound people, there is just so much knowledge available on audio here. EVERYTHING from A to Z, and soup to nuts. Driver restoration, cabinet refinishing, cabinet tuning and design, system design, system restoration, electronics, xovers, how to on just about anything audio, CUSTOM designed and built cabinets, even HORNS, and whatever else you could possibly think of.

scottyj

Well said Scott, I've learned so much from this site and have had may great projects because of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...ogy/1500al.htm

Here it is, and it is good reading! The more you search through this forum, the more you always find something you never knew, THIS forum more than any other audio forum REALLY educated me on things I had heard of but never saw or heard. My uncle had always told me JBL once made folded horns like the HUGE Richard Long Levan Horns, made famous in the 70,s at NYC nightclubs like Studio54, and THE PARADISE GARAGE. And here in our library I found the articles and pictures about Shearer horns, and WOW, striking similarity of early bass horns from the 30,s and 40,s and I began to really understand how influential, and how long ago James B. Lansing pioneered what the master audio designers of the 70,s and 80,s were doing!

Not to mention the fact that this site also has a huge number of absolutely brilliant people and we are made up of hobbyists, DIY,ers, semi-pro and pro sound people, there is just so much knowledge available on audio here. EVERYTHING from A to Z, and soup to nuts. Driver restoration, cabinet refinishing, cabinet tuning and design, system design, system restoration, electronics, xovers, how to on just about anything audio, CUSTOM designed and built cabinets, even HORNS, and whatever else you could possibly think of.

Obsolete
    If you have any extras I would be interested in a pair or two.
    I did order extras just in case some died during shipping. If they all survive I will answer the PM's in the order received. I wish we could have gotten more for those wanting these drivers but I was told this past Friday that this really and truly was the very end of the line for this kind of thing.

I suspect that if it wasn't for the guy who ordered ninety of the discontinued K2-S9800 (which is the only system that uses the 1500AL) this would never have happened. The order has been open since January. A seven month wait really isn't bad at all. I've waited up to two years for various driver and horn orders to be fulfilled but JBL always came through in the end. Those days are over though.

Those days are over though.
    Is it just that JBL does not see this type of transaction as profitable? Just curious. I mean, business is business, why not make a few bucks on nuts, I mean, enthusiasts like us?

Thread Information