Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

I appreciate all of that - but I am working this as much as possible right now. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep or return a LG-rebadged-as-JVC combi VCR/DVD recorder with dubbing capabilities, but dub DVDs don't play on my other DVD machine. If its not me, it needs to go back to Vann's (currently post 15 days but under 30 right now).

Oh - and UPS says there's a Zilch-kit on the way ... ?? (!) - Gotta prepare the way for that!!

Oh, I've been sick for 3 days, (it hit me just after the run to Aldebaran),
    plus we have some minor traumas at home.

At least we didn't get significant snow today ... yet (6PM edit - its still snowing!)

Big fun, but until I retire there's not quite enough hours in the day right now

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    There's a big ole Crown DC300A sitting here lonely, waiting for me to employ it somewhere- if you ever want to borrow it to see if one would work for you, just say the word. Picking up that Urei 6260 put it into "spare" status for the vocal mains. Actually, at this point, you could borrow the Crown or the Urei, either model would likely be available on the market and serve your purposes well.

I even have the just-in-case protection circuits as insurance for whatever speakers are hooked on to the Crown, but I need to mount them into some kind of project box.

je
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Just keep it in mind for the future, don't hesitate to ask if you want a trial run. I've got projects out my ears as well, and some day soon I'll actually be employed again, and lose all this lovely spare time!

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    some day soon I'll actually be employed again, and lose all this lovely spare time!

je
    Brother, that's a heartache. Keep it at arm's length as long as you can.

Heather: I have a lot of admiration for your "can do" attitude. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Heather: I have a lot of admiration for your "can do" attitude. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks so much - but the DIY folks are my inspiration!
    I never had a clue I could have this much fun using speakers like tinkertoys!

Tonight I got the bronze glass for the speakertops (gotta protect those L200 tops, the top veneer is pretty good, actually).
    After John Stewart I headed to the basement and bored 3 1/8 holes in the 2800 baffleboards and voila! Slotboxes!

I don't have a 4 way crossover yet, just the Giskard Equiv 3133 network, so the 2123s aren't connected, but its getting closer to the mythical 4344 "2 box clones".

2215, 2420/2307/2308, 2123, 2405 (for what its worth, I believe all except the 2123s are AlNiCo)

And that funny tweeter thing on the top left of the top box? Thats not tweeter!
    Its a Zilch plug mounted from the inside so the wingnut is concealed - then hit with a shot of flatblack paint
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

QUOTE: "And yes - the one cabinet has been dropped or something - top left front is kind of ... well that side with the nice molding is kind of cracked along the baffleboard - but the veneer is not broken. I've got some Minwax Wood Restorer - its a resin based product with solvents - poor it into rotted wood and the solvents evaporate and leave the resin behind to bind the material together. I'm thinking I'll spread the side apart slightly, poor some of this product into the crack, then use wood clamps to hold it in place overnight. Supposed to cure in 4 hours. I think that ought to do better than JB weld or something similar.

There is some similar separation on the back edge of the sides of the same speaker, like the MDF has broken down and split (?)" UNQUOTE

Have a theory as to causality factor(s): particleboard may have absorbed moisture from storage in high moisture area (basement, maybe?) and then was exposed to freezing temperatures (water expands when it freezes).
    Anyone else go along with this theory?

Wondering if this may contribute spurious resonances (aka buzzing) to system?

Exposed particle board will swell up like a sponge and deteriorate if left wet or damp.
    Freezing might make things worse, but it isn't necessary for significant damage to occur.
    -grumpy

Well, none that I can hear. BMWCCA was over here yesterday getting the 4320 boxes and I played "Wayfaring Stranger" - some cello music with deep low tones - no extraneous sounds. I part of Steely Dan Aja - no odd sounds. Played Nine Horses- (David Sylvian) - The Banality of Evil - punchy bass, no odd noises. We've been playing them a LOT since they got here - good sounds all around - even on that ECM Jazz stuff - nice and clean.

But - I do like the theory! Ice damage ...

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    QUOTE: "And yes - the one cabinet has been dropped or something - top left front is kind of ... well that side with the nice molding is kind of cracked along the baffleboard - but the veneer is not broken. I've got some Minwax Wood Restorer - its a resin based product with solvents - poor it into rotted wood and the solvents evaporate and leave the resin behind to bind the material together. I'm thinking I'll spread the side apart slightly, poor some of this product into the crack, then use wood clamps to hold it in place overnight. Supposed to cure in 4 hours. I think that ought to do better than JB weld or something similar.

There is some similar separation on the back edge of the sides of the same speaker, like the MDF has broken down and split (?)" UNQUOTE

Have a theory as to causality factor(s): particleboard may have absorbed moisture from storage in high moisture area (basement, maybe?) and then was exposed to freezing temperatures (water expands when it freezes).
    Anyone else go along with this theory?

Wondering if this may contribute spurious resonances (aka buzzing) to system?

Hmmmm no Cowboy here??

Placeholder -

Zilch makes CHAOS of Heather's listening room.

Heh, heh.

[She'll be up kinda late tonight.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Big fun, but until I retire there's not quite enough hours in the day right now
    Heather , even after you retire ...there ain't enough hours in the day.........
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Same T-Amp my buddy gave me.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Heh, heh.

Nah - can't be up too late - gotta watch 24 in a half hour!

Besides - here's my Rack Chaos - in Teak!

L200 woofers and 2435HPL in biAmp mode

I got sound to the Active crossover from CDR (HK changer) and CD (the "airtunes" signal 11,000 songs shuffling on my Mac upstairs) - but I couldn't get any sound from Cable box/TV - and Monday night is the guilty pleasure of "24" - so we watched with the center audio and rear speakers only working. I tried other output jacks and still only had audio with those few sources.

After 24, I finally figured out the problem.

In my JVC receiver I have 3 digital optical inputs - CATV, my VCR/DVD recorder, and my standalone DVD player. Those feeds generate multichannel/surround for Digital Dolby or DTS signal - and work quite well.

Unfortunately, when I tap the Tape out RCA jacks to feed the crosover, it doesn't convert digital to analog - so I only get audio from analog sources!

Which does work for CDs and FM and such, but I didn't get a chance to give it a good shakedown(!). That'll have to wait 'til tomorrow after work.

The M552 has a tunable crossover point - from my very brief tests it sounds best somewhere around 1200-1500Hz or so. I'm feeding low out to the Citation 22 in Stereo Mode - 200w/ch to the 2215 woofers. Feeding high out through the T-amp to the 2435. Levels are pretty critical. Before dinner I was trying different settings and turned the T-amp to 3/4 and hit a sweet spot with some Pat Metheny-American Garage playing. Sounded VERY nice. But another song might want different settings.

Of course, the real question is - what I would need to run this system with a passive crossover? I mean, its just a 2-way ... shouldn't take much - and an Lpad to help match levels.

Thanks again to Zilch for all this madness - I need a weekend tomorrow just to try all this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Heh, heh.

Cool "I mean, it's just a two-way...."

I don't know how high the 2215/LE15A is good for, but you can hear the blend as you adjust the crossover frequency on the M552. This is easier to hear listening to a pink noise source, if you have a CD with that. Soon as I hear the horn coloration, that's the lowest usable crossover frequency.

At Zilchlab, it's LE14s and 2235s almost exclusively, and I strive to get the frequency as low as sounds good, which is 920 Hz with those horns here. The smaller PT-F version I'm running a little higher, 1 kHz.

Once that is set, vary the balance between LF and HF. The T-Amp volume control provides the coarse adjustment, then use the M552 HF gain controls to fine tune it. Tweak the frequency again after that, maybe, to optimize.

Since you're driving with tape out, which is fixed, there's no master volume. Use the input gain controls on M552 for that, and L/R balance. Your LF amp is the baseline against which against which everything else is adjusted using this scheme.

The compensation filter should work nearly as well with passive crossovers; these experiments will tell you what frequency is optimum with your woofers. If you decide to go this way, you'll make the final determination with the horns mounted in the L200 cabinets. They'll sound a bit different, then. You've got big distance between the woofers and horns presently; they'll be significantly more coherent once mounted on the same baffle and close to the woofers.

Amps off first, on last, 'cause M552 doesn't turn on or off gracefully....

Hello Heather

If you really want to drive yourself nuts give the PTH1010/2435 combo a spin with the 2123's. You would need to run it as a 3 way but it may be worth it for you to try out. Two ways are nice but nothing does the lower midrange like one of those JBL 10" drivers. I run my active set-up with the same combo and once you dial it in, it's makes a really nice sounding system. Food for thought!!

Just have fun

Rob

Thread Information