Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Yes! After a Craigslist sale that slipped away, an ebay Auction that was cancelled and another auction (and the kindness of BigYank and BMWCCA not bidding them out of my lowly budget - thanks guys!!), I actually won these darned big 'ol boxes. At 9:30 today Emma and I headed up past DC and Bal'mer and almost to Delaware - to the quiet town of Aberdeen. The guy is quite the JBL fan - wants to try one of everything ... what a nice goal! These are big for his home, and kinda pricey to fill. No grills, no components, no crossovers - just cabinets.

One box had seen some rough service, but both are generally in good shape, and well worth the minimal fee I won them for. Anyway - back down I95, through the Harbour tunnel and to Rockville to O'Brien's for the barbecue lunch I'd promised Emma for riding along (it was a gorgeous day, so it wasn't much of a struggle). Anyway - we got back here around 3, hauled the boxes into the house, and headed to the kitchen for a old Newcastle ... yumm - anyway - Teddy has already decided these boxes are his, that they are way cool - so sod off! But after a few pictures (he hates the flash) he ran off and let me work. (aka Teddy Roosevelt - see the Moustache?)

Once he was gone we carried them downstairs to the music room and set them in front of the TV cabinet - I pulled the homemade grill off the right 4320 cabinet and popped it into one of the L200s, I knew it wouldn't fit, but - just to check the color. Wow, thats a winner! Nothing like that blue JBL pro monitor cloth - time to order some more from Zilch!

Anyway - the L200s are the consumer version of the 4320 Studio systems I already have - so it should be a cinch to move the woofer and horn right in. But - I'd upgraded the 4320s to 3ways (pseudo 4333s sort of) and - I may want to keep the boxes original and not bore big holes for 2405 slot tweeters and the extra L-pad.

So - what I may do is just put a dual jack plate on the back of these where the old JBL crossover went, so I can access the Woofer or 2420 horn directly, and put the crossover and 2405 slot in those upper boxes where I already have 2123s for a future upgrade to 4 way performance. If I do it that way I don't have to disturb the woofer/horn combo in the L200s to try other upgrades - upgrade the crossover to 4 way, bi-amp the system, wut-evah ...

Anyway - thats the plan - I need to get some MinWax wood Hardener to fill the voids where the one cabinet has a cracked area on the back right side, and probably need some cork so I can seal the 2215 woofer to the baffleboard when I move the parts. I'll also have bronze glass cut to protects the tops like I did for the B-380 - its a real nice look and as long as the top veneer is so nice, why not?

So far, the cabinets are responding real well to the Howards Feed-n-wax. Thanks Guys for the tip on that stuff - it really work great! I popped the little side screens out while I oiled down the cabinets (3 out of 4, 1 is glued in REAL HARD, but they are in real fine shape.

More info when I get time - but - at least the boxes are here.

Before I got them, the thread started over here - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14727
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Robh3606; 03-18-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I was requested to move the thread and edit from post 11 down
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information