Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Yes! After a Craigslist sale that slipped away, an ebay Auction that was cancelled and another auction (and the kindness of BigYank and BMWCCA not bidding them out of my lowly budget - thanks guys!!), I actually won these darned big 'ol boxes. At 9:30 today Emma and I headed up past DC and Bal'mer and almost to Delaware - to the quiet town of Aberdeen. The guy is quite the JBL fan - wants to try one of everything ... what a nice goal! These are big for his home, and kinda pricey to fill. No grills, no components, no crossovers - just cabinets.

One box had seen some rough service, but both are generally in good shape, and well worth the minimal fee I won them for. Anyway - back down I95, through the Harbour tunnel and to Rockville to O'Brien's for the barbecue lunch I'd promised Emma for riding along (it was a gorgeous day, so it wasn't much of a struggle). Anyway - we got back here around 3, hauled the boxes into the house, and headed to the kitchen for a old Newcastle ... yumm - anyway - Teddy has already decided these boxes are his, that they are way cool - so sod off! But after a few pictures (he hates the flash) he ran off and let me work. (aka Teddy Roosevelt - see the Moustache?)

Once he was gone we carried them downstairs to the music room and set them in front of the TV cabinet - I pulled the homemade grill off the right 4320 cabinet and popped it into one of the L200s, I knew it wouldn't fit, but - just to check the color. Wow, thats a winner! Nothing like that blue JBL pro monitor cloth - time to order some more from Zilch!

Anyway - the L200s are the consumer version of the 4320 Studio systems I already have - so it should be a cinch to move the woofer and horn right in. But - I'd upgraded the 4320s to 3ways (pseudo 4333s sort of) and - I may want to keep the boxes original and not bore big holes for 2405 slot tweeters and the extra L-pad.

So - what I may do is just put a dual jack plate on the back of these where the old JBL crossover went, so I can access the Woofer or 2420 horn directly, and put the crossover and 2405 slot in those upper boxes where I already have 2123s for a future upgrade to 4 way performance. If I do it that way I don't have to disturb the woofer/horn combo in the L200s to try other upgrades - upgrade the crossover to 4 way, bi-amp the system, wut-evah ...

Anyway - thats the plan - I need to get some MinWax wood Hardener to fill the voids where the one cabinet has a cracked area on the back right side, and probably need some cork so I can seal the 2215 woofer to the baffleboard when I move the parts. I'll also have bronze glass cut to protects the tops like I did for the B-380 - its a real nice look and as long as the top veneer is so nice, why not?

So far, the cabinets are responding real well to the Howards Feed-n-wax. Thanks Guys for the tip on that stuff - it really work great! I popped the little side screens out while I oiled down the cabinets (3 out of 4, 1 is glued in REAL HARD, but they are in real fine shape.

More info when I get time - but - at least the boxes are here.

Before I got them, the thread started over here - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14727
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Robh3606; 03-18-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I was requested to move the thread and edit from post 11 down
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Look Nice Heather!

Very Nice!! Those roadtrips looking for vintage JBL's are fun, especially when you get them home and all the possibilities start to swirl in your head!

Keep us posted on your progress and a couple more pics after the Howard's F&W really takes hold.

Bart

In the auction photos it looked like one front corner would need some glue and a clamp. Is it better in person? No big deal? They look darn nice! Always liked that style. Best to let the kitty get used to them before the new grilles go in! My boys love the old nylon grilles on the C37s...for the brief moment they get to touch them before I scream at them and scare them away. I think I might look for a single Model 19 to use as a scratching post. Or maybe a 901.

all right! Remember now if you decide to not pursue a project with these you MUST let me know!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Very nice, Heather!

Your L200 "kit" is just about together....

If you're gonna dream, you might as well be dreaming BIG, right? Hope it all comes together for you, sounds like the planning part is funner every day.

je

On the jukebox right now is Paco de Lucia's album 'Fuente y Caudal', through some monitors I'm cobbling together from Cerwin Vega cabinets, JBL E120s and some Selenium DT150 tweets. Anybody with some wedge monitor cabs that are destined for the dustbin, give me a shout...these boxes I've got are crrraaaap.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    In the auction photos it looked like one front corner would need some glue and a clamp. Is it better in person? No big deal? They look darn nice! Always liked that style. Best to let the kitty get used to them before the new grilles go in! My boys love the old nylon grilles on the C37s...for the brief moment they get to touch them before I scream at them and scare them away. I think I might look for a single Model 19 to use as a scratching post. Or maybe a 901.
    Well neither cat has front claws - the previous owner had them pulled (rescue cats) so he's no threat to grills or woofer, thank goodness.

And yes - the one cabinet has been dropped or something - top left front is kind of ... well that side with the nice molding is kind of cracked along the baffleboard - but the veneer is not broken. I've got some Minwax Wood Restorer - its a resin based product with solvents - poor it into rotted wood and the solvents evaporate and leave the resin behind to bind the material together. I'm thinking I'll spread the side apart slightly, poor some of this product into the crack, then use wood clamps to hold it in place overnight. Supposed to cure in 4 hours. I think that ought to do better than JB weld or something similar.

There is some similar separation on the back edge of the sides of the same speaker, like the MDF has broken down and split (?). I can pour some of this into that crack tomorrow night and perhaps bond it together.
    I'm not so worried about the look, tho the veneer is nearly perfect on most of the speaker. I don't want the sound to suffer compared to the 4320 boxes - the box has to be solid and not flex.

I told Emma I was doing this mainly for better looking cabinets in the TV room and she said "looks are fine, but I really like the way they sound now - you can put them back in the old cabinets if the sound isn't better, right?"

Ah - a woman for whom function is the important part ... she understands!! I'm not letting THIS one get away! he he he

The Minwax product: http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

running out of time to actually move the drivers in today, but I have gotten a lot of the prelim work done.

As I said, I think I'll just mount the 2215 woofs and 2420/2307/2308 driver/horns/lenses in the L200 cabs, and route cable to separate jacks on the back panel. So - the jacks are built and mounted at least.
    HF on top, LF on bottom

Perhaps I can bore holes in the 2800 Cabinets to mount the 2405 slots one evening this week.
    I've got a spare horn driver combo and a spare slot from my center channel experiments to help mock this up. (I figure it can't hurt to have working spares of these ancient, er vintage drivers!)
    And that funky Mic on top? Courtesy of Seawolf! (Told ya it would go in a place of honour!)

No grass growing under your feet!
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    running out of time to actually move the drivers in today, but I have gotten a lot of the prelim work done.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    No grass growing under your feet!
    Actually, I gave in and finished swapping my 2215 and horn/driver into the second cabinet as well - and carried the now amazingly lighter 4320 cabinets into the basement, stacked base to base. Of course now I have to make up a banana plug patch panel and assorted cables for all of this - he he he.
    Build the crossovers in boxes like Ian did with his projects, then just jack in the drivers as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And that funky Mic on top? Courtesy of Seawolf! (Told ya it would go in a place of honour!)
    Glad it went to a safe place. I think its sort of rare and didnt want to see it get mashed up in "my warehouse".
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread moved from 4341 discussion

Yeah - my carpentry skills aren't what they should be for that kind of project. I'm guessing my low-tech DIY 4344s will have to be it for me.
    It won't image the same - but two stacked boxes containing the appropriate drivers ... Now I just need the 4 way crossovers. I'll swap the 2215s for 2235s afterwards. ...sigh ... beer budgets!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

I am in the same boat. That's why I built my 4344's. I could get the drivers as cores and recone over time so it wasn't all in one shot. You also end up with a fresher driver set as well. Those boxes are not cheap no matter how you do it. He got a nice deal but he may have 4 recones in the 15's and 10's to bring them back to life. You can try foam on the 15's but the 10's with the Lansaloy?? May need compression driver diaphrams as well so another $1200+ with those in the mix.

Rob

Thread moved from 4341 discussion

Well - that was my initial plan - Ian and Tom L had suggested I biamp the 4320 system. I got a Crown D75, that 200w/ch HK Citation 22, and a a JBL crossover. I got the XLR-to-Phono connectors and such. I even got a pair of blank crossover cards so I could populate them for 290/300Hz freq (to go under the midBass driver.

I got the HK Amp repaired, moved the media shelves out of the room and got the speakers back on the floor. That was just before Christmas - holidays took precedent for a bit

Then in Feb I just fell over that B-380 and the HK went to power that, so if I go that route I need another low end amp. But my receiver doesn't have preamp outs, so biamping will be more complex - I'll need to change out the receiver as well as changing the amps. Its on the plan, but - not quite as immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    heather if i may, consider going electronic with a custom passive between the hf/mf.my 300's always sounded better with dedicated lf amps and they are way more flexible

There's a big ole Crown DC300A sitting here lonely, waiting for me to employ it somewhere- if you ever want to borrow it to see if one would work for you, just say the word. Picking up that Urei 6260 put it into "spare" status for the vocal mains. Actually, at this point, you could borrow the Crown or the Urei, either model would likely be available on the market and serve your purposes well.

I even have the just-in-case protection circuits as insurance for whatever speakers are hooked on to the Crown, but I need to mount them into some kind of project box.

je

Thread Information