Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Win an "Eargle On Everest" CD

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Yesterday I got both the Eargle on Everest CD and the The JBL Story from the postman.

Not a bad deal: CD was free* and book was $19.77 delivered.
    Me too, plus I received the soundtrack from Firefly at the same time.

John

Thank you vey much, what a great surprise. I just got my 4430's from Audiobeer (Thank you very very very much M, I love them) and played some of it. It sounds great. I am doing some gear re-arranging with Sourceoneaudio's help and look forward to really giving it a good listen.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Thanks Doug for your help...
    Great job!

I actually took the day off from work to do (the listening test)...
    So, what are the results? Any of the speaker collection headed to eBay...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

nothing for the bay

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Great job!
    No Bo,

nothing for ebay.....heard nearly half of the CD till now ......wifey thought I crack down the house when track no. 1 reached the sweet level with the cannons. The limit of my power amp is very near. Also very nice to hear the detailing in the Warlocks.....I don't know where the hights are now comming from, which I missed sometimes.
    Tried first the 4435, tomorrow the 4333, lets hear

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Great job!

I will say this: crummy CDs are the great equalizer. When I listen to a lot of mass produced CDs, particularly pop and rock, but also country, jazz, electronic, and orchestral, the differences between my various systems is not that great. Sadly, listening to most vinyl is no better.

A medium-quality recording with run-of-the-mill studio production values and mass market quality control sounds nearly as good on the E50s as it does on the L250s--in fact sometimes better.

However, when I stick in a Delos, Telarc, Mobile Fidelity, or other well recorded and mastered disc, well let me tell you mister, the differences stand out. With the Eargle/Delos CD in the tray, there were clear winners and losers, and not in the order I'd expect.

1st Place: Performance Series stacks–clear, articulate HF, gorgeous MF and LF, stupendous cannons!
    2nd: L7–clear, full HF and MF, powerful LF, strong cannons
    3rd: S2600–gorgeous HF and MF, reasonable LF, but what cannons?
    4th: XPL200–gorgeous HF and MF, uneven LF, weak cannons
    5th: SVA2100–clear, direct HF and MF, strong LF, big but boomy cannons
    6th: 4430– clear, direct HF and MF, strong LF, underpowered cannons
    7th: L250–weak HF, strong MF and LF, weak cannons
    8th: XPL160–overpowering HF and MF, boomy LF, no cannons
    9th: L60T–Clear, full HF, muddy MF, boomy LF, no cannons
    10th: E50–clear HF, decent MF, weak, boomy LF, no cannons
    11th: L100–weak HF, strong MF, boomy LF, weak cannons

The PS really set the bar for the power of the cannons, and I was very disappointed by the L250's performance in this regard. The L7s handled it quite well.

The performance of the horn-based units was uniformly wonderful in the highs and upper midrange, but they tended not to have comparable guts at the bottom. Also, the 4430s and SVA2100s seemed to exhibit a bit of a performance gap in the transition between the horns and the LF drivers, especially on the Tan Dum track. I listened multiple times to be sure of what I was hearing. The S2600 had none of this characteristic.

Since I'll never get rid of my L100s, it looks like 8th, 9th, and 10th position speakers should really go. I'm going to have to think about those L250s, too. I love the looks, but this CD really showed up its limitations. Perhaps with a couple of new drivers and better networks? :dont-know

Depending on my mood, the XPL200 could fall a place or two. I really like it's HF and MF sound, and the midbass and LF cone drivers keep the Ti's from overpowering the sound, unlike the single 10" woofer on the XPL160, but it really does disappoint on the bottom end with a disc like this. Especially with another 12" woofer sitting next to it in the L7 outperfroming it, it's hard to ignore. Considering the L7 was half the retail cost, too, I expect more from the XPL.

Anyway, Bo, I'll sit on it for a while, but at the least I'll probably farm some of these out to the kids. This CD wreaked havoc...ultimately in a positive way.

Try playing your sub of choice with the S2600s.

I bet they'll move up.

The image thing is, well, "compelling."

I will say this... This CD wreaked havoc...ultimately in a positive way.
    TiDome...

Thanks for the full report. Propitious timing...

My review is only from the 4345, and there is no intent on playing this collection on any others.

I was stopped by track #8: "Feste Romane" by Ottorino Respighi (excerpt).

I have never heard anything like this, anywhere, and don't imagine it could be reproduced any better by any speaker. That is largely a reaction to the 2245H - otherwise I believe the DD66000 would excel. The timpany rolls, and ending cacophany of punctuating synchronous deep brass and double basses was skin crawling good. I was up close at Avery Fisher Hall, or San Francisco Opera House or Crouse College (Syracuse U campus), a place I played bass trombone many times.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I was stopped by track #8: "Feste Romane" by Ottorino Respighi (excerpt).
    I have the entire trio of Respighi's symphonic Roman poems on Columbia Masterworks LPs. It's a real treat.

The excerpt on the Eargle disc is a tour de force, but you really got to get the whole thing if you can.

Fontane di Roma
    Pini di Roma
    Fest Romane

I can't say I've ever heard the Oregon Symphony, but the Delos label has the complete trio on CD. It's possible that John Eargle used this recording as the basis of his excerpt since it's in the Delos catalog.

http://www.delosmus.com/cgi/cart/ite...84111178816547

Jesus Lopez-Cobos has done virtually the complete major Respighi catalog, mostly on Telarc.

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title...HGU3SW2FSNADN9

Yeah, I know, too much Respighi...

Infinity?

Just a quick comment on the mailers that contained the CDs. You'll recall Harman is a company of many brands, one of which is Infinity. Infinity makes both automobile and home (consumer) speakers.

The CDs were mailed out of the Harman Consumer Group offices in New Jersey. I'm sure there are lots of mailers there with various consumer group logos on them, so even though the product brand may be Infinity, they all came from the same great people at Harman Consumer Group.

And I just wanted to remind our readers of Jim's original thought and effort in this - and to thank him.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    ...I have written Mr.Widget about a conversation that I had with Mike Christian the Manager of Customer support at JBL.

My original idea of putting the Sessions LP's on cd has hit some legal snafu. Jbl doesn't believe they have the rights to the music on those lp's and I would have to contact each individual artist on those lp's and get their permission. This as we all know would never happen.

I also told him that we really prefer the Eargle CD demonstrating the Everset system. I also mentioned that I thought it would be a good way of adding funds to the forum. In his genorosity he has set aside 30 copies of this CD for our member's.

Mike Christian is sending me his personal copy of the CD for my effort in this matter. He also stated he's always willing to help the folks at LHS.

It might also be a good idea to personally email him and thank him for his genorosity. He can be reached at mchristian-AT-harman.com (replace the "-AT-" with "@" - moots the spambots...)

I think this is very generous of JBL and reaffirm's my decison to own the best.

Jim
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

My review is only from the 4345, and there is no intent on playing this collection on any others.
    Must be feeling the blues - quoting myself...

Listening again, tonight. And again, halted by Track #8.

Glass raised, toasting the lifetime contributions of John Eargle.

And again a thanks to Don. John Eargle's work was long on my reference shelf; you brought him into our lives. Remarkable...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Eargle on Everest

Quote Originally Posted by me
    & I'll let you know when mine arrives .
    My CD arrived last friday, about an hour after I added my words to the thread noting John Eargles' passing. All in all ( because of the timing ) a very bittersweet day .

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it. I gave mine a quick listen a few weeks ago on the 4355's before they went bye bye.
    - I've played it 6 or 7 times by now . John Eargle was certainly a remarkable recordist of music .

- In a nutshell, this cd has me wanting to own the 19 CDs ( on Delos International ) which are the source for this compilation .

- Sound ? Remarkably true to life musical fundamentals, lacking the oh so typical overblown and exaggerated upper harmonic content that is so typical of over 90 % of the stuff out there. ( ie; no "boom & sizzle" here / just pure , honest to goodness music ).

- I was really impressed with how every track is anchored by great musical tonics / this never wavers . This "oneness" is threaded throughout the cd , linking every track into an obvious root family even though the musical genres are quite disparate ( okay, al over the place ) . Really a treat to listen to .

- Typically there is huge depth of field recorded along with the music for most every track. I wonder how all this space translates as part of the musical experience played back on other systems.
    - With better resolving systems, one can get distracted just counting Rt60
    decay times and the like ( ie; listening to the space ).

- I had to slightly increase the drive levels for my horns ( .25 to .5 db a side ). I assume this was to compensate for the fact that my aluminum diaphragms just don't resolve as much as the beryllium types ( plus the 288 has only 1/2 the sq inches of diaphragm area when compared to the 476nd ) .

- Of course, this cd has increased my appetite to hear the Everest II / even if only to compare my present perceptions on the real deal .

All in

By now, everyone should have received their CDs. I heard from one winner who was concerned, but it showed up shortly thereafter.

Considering the recent passing of John Eargle, it is especially fortunate that JBL/Harman and Mike Christian were so generous in donating these shortly before John's death. We can all be doubly grateful that such an opportunity came to pass.

I marvel at the synchronicity of it all whenever I listen to the CD, and I silently thank kingjames, JBL/Harman, Mike, and, most of all, John for such a gift.

I have to agree with you TI, the cd is all the more special with John's passing.I feel the timing to be extraordinary in a good sense.I am sure John knows how much we appreciate this cd.

Would anyone like to sell me a copy of their CD or do you have extras? I would be more than willing to give a good donation to the forum.

Thanks.

-Storm

Thread Information