Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Danley

Tom Danley

Zilch and I were PMing and talking about Tom Danley and I thought I'd post a couple of pictures here: Tom at one of our Chicago Horn Club get-togethers; explaining his Unity horns and the set of Unitys on Servodrive Contrabass woofers he brought.

Also a Unity from the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I remember hearing those, although I never quite totally understood the explanation behind the Unity.........Tom is one smart cookie. Heard from/about him lately?

Mike---Yeah, Tom is very creative. Yorkville Sound is making a version of his Unity now and some fellas are buying it and using it as a hi-fi speaker.

TimG

Speaking of Tom Danley

Check out his new invention for US Military. It produces 105dB @ 15Hz @ 250M all day long. Here is someone standing in the throat. Tom guessed that maybe it will be used as a giant plunger to suck people out of caves who are hiding in Pakistan and Afganistan.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/image...20Finished.jpg

Here is the video

http://danleysoundlabs.com/matterhorn.htm

Tom Danley is one of those guys, he is a genius. He makes a bunch of interesting items. His stuff sounds good and works.

http://www.thesoundbroker.com/Danley.htm

I was looking at the TH-115, to replace some older W bins I have, and his explanation of midbass subwoofers is right inline with why I knew all these years I love my double 18in corner loaded scoops with JBL 2240,s.

They also have some cool subs, that reach down extremely low. I know guys who use and love his subs, but, beware, PRICEY! That DTS-20 looks attractive for you HT freaks. In excess of 120db@20hz!
    scottyj

RIP 2009
    Have you seen his latest - the "Matterhorn" sub? It's built in a cargo container so it's "portable". More info: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/matterhorn.htm

John

There is a fact sheet about the Matterhorn.
    Read first, build last. (? ? ? :dont-know ?)

And don't forget the soundfile FIREWORKS:
    Tom Danley: "I put the last few minutes of it on a CD
    and have since played it (to be honest, over and over).
    "

I did so too - having a bath.

JBL 4645
    Isn’t it called an (acoustical weapon) I heard the FBI and the CIA use it to flush out drug barons, by playing baby screaming at 110db in reverse!

I just read about the DTS-20 so what is the JBL sub bass speakers hay, chop leaver!

That video is crazy.

Wow I just watched the video. I love all the steel bracing they used in that sub, especially around the speaker cutouts.

I am surprised being a government project that they are able to show all the video and pictures of the sub.

Allen

JBL 4645
    That video looked liked they where making the (Bin Laden sonic torture chamber).

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    I am surprised being a government project that they are able to show all the video and pictures of the sub.
    Allen
    I would say it might have been the other way around I would say the government found out and paid for the item for there own prevented uses!

Get in there mush, ok turn it up!

TimG
    Mythbusters really needs to redo that brown note test again with a real subwoofer like this.

Also, didn't Niklas Nord buy about 40 of the Sub1500's? Here is finally a project worthy of those woofers. However, he didn't believe me when I said he needed to build a bomb shelter to contain this kind of output without destroying his home, so I hope nobody tries to add one of these Matterhorns to a wood frame and drywall structure.

Although I bet some people will try to add one or two to their competition car stereo systems.

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Wow I just watched the video. I love all the steel bracing they used in that sub, especially around the speaker cutouts.

Allen
    I am surprised that they would be wasting their time and money with just a pile of subs in a big steel box when a couple of these little guys will crush that thing.

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... would be wasting their time and money ...
    ? power handling capacity,
    ? frequency range,
    ? efficiency,
    ? reliability,
    ? others.

Don't know.

The design goal of the Matterhorn is not defined, but it makes 105 db @ 250 meters at 15 - 80 Hz.
    [Even one JBL 2226 in an 18 Hz horn can be disastrous in home environment.]

That's a cute table fan Mr. Widget. ;>)

The rotary sound concept was done by Tom years ago at Intersonics. The linked picture is the 3hz reproducer from the Sonic Boom Simulator project for Georgia Tech, which has appeared on The Discovery Channel. At the heart is a 5hp motor driving a prop fan for air supply, modulated by a vane type valve mounted in an 8" diameter Aluminum tube about 20" long.
    The Phoenix Cyclone car subwoofer was a licensed version of the vane driver technology.
    Driver technology has shifted enough in the past fifteen years enough so Tom can use these "off the shelf" drivers(okay, really heavy duty shelves!) for the Matterhorn-simpler field replacement should the need arise. Standard amplification too-same reason. Even the enclosure is easily replaced-how many shipping containers are there on the market? Heck, Craigslist here in Chicago has had ads for used ones.
    Cheap, easy to repair, and incredibly loud, plus it actually sounds great. What more could you want in a weapon?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15041669@N00/428896499/

Best regards,

John Halliburton

PS, the same driver/technology is used in the new TH-50 companion sub to the SH-50. Horn loaded performance, Contrabass cutoffs(almost). That's incredible.

Thread Information