Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PETITION TO SAVE SACD

Smile PETITION TO SAVE SACD

HERE IS A LINK TO SAVE SACD IF ANYONE CARES TO SIGN IT. http://www.petitiononline.com/SACD/petition.html REGARDS JIM

Maron Horonzakz
    A petition wont save it. Only the demands of the market place can do that. If you like SACD buy more of it.

Does SACD need or deserve to be saved?????

I never really understood the features and benefits of SACD (or DVD Audio for that matter), to justify the price of h/w or s/w.

Are the manufacturers pulling the plug, or are releases slowing down??

Looked like another botched format introduction (like Elcaset, Beta, and soon to be HD-DVD) to me.

Between regular CDs, vinyl, analog FM, and Sirius over house sat, I'm awash with program material. Most of it sounds pretty good too.

What I could really use is a HD video disk source for my front projection HT. A 106 inch screen needs all the resolution it can get. Now if Blu-Ray players can only hit the $200 price point. But that's another forum..........

Sub standard downloads are killing the market place. There will come a time when DVD's will be a thing of the past. More sooner than later. This was talked about a lot while I was at CES. That may be one of the reasons why every manufacturer of electronics isn't jumping on one of the HD bandwagons. Look what downloads have done to music for this generation. I'm still a person who buys a CD or Album be it new or used. I'm 40 so I was part of that generation that liked to "look" at something while listening to new music.

Now, DVD-A or SACD...I could honestly take it or leave it. I would only listen to it in 2 channel anyway. The 5.1 discs of those I have I'm not thrilled with but they are ok. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak48 View Post
    Looked like another botched format introduction (like Elcaset, Beta, and soon to be HD-DVD) to me. ..
    Beta was not a tech botch. SONY developed both BETA and VHS. In testing they found VHS to be inferior and thusly sold it off to JVC.
    JVC did a better marketing job , but BETA was very popular in Europe and still in South America.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I buy what I can, when I find it.

I love both SACD and DVD-A. Even on my mid-fi systems I can tell the difference between a 16bit/44.1kHz CD and the higher resolution SACD or 24bit/192kHz DVD-A. The resoloution is manifold better on the high-rez digital formats.

I agree that downloading of music has caused music itself to become what I call the new JEWLERY for today's music using generation. Self-worth and clique identity are all wrapped up in who has the newest and latest download...no one cares if the sound has any quality or fidelity because it is listened to on small ear buds with poor resolution and poor response. What matters today is how many songs are carried at once, and low bit rates are the rule to get there. The irony is that downloading will dilute the available quality of music for quantity of choices. I do think that the market is what it is and is never wrong, even when I'm not well served by the market.

I lament only that I am a minority in the marketplace and I will either be underserved or served at a much higher price (which I will gladly pay to keep high resolution formats available).
    Paying debt to Karma...

done.i hope the sacd format survives.i currently own about 60 titles.thanx to jim 3860 for the heads up

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    A petition wont save it. Only the demands of the market place can do that. If you like SACD buy more of it.
    the reason for this petition is to show support for sacd by audiophiles. this petition is being sent to all the record labels not only sony music. perhaps if enough people sign it and show a desire to listen to sacd, other labels may take notice and release new material of there artists. which in turn will result in more albums sold. the more albums sold in turn result again in more interest by other companys. I as an audiophile strongly support any format that offers better sound. I realize that the majority of people buying albums are not buying hi res formats. primarily because the music they listen to is not available in these formats. that may change though, if we support it. as far as buying sacds I buy any album I can find that I would buy a cd of. heres a link to a great place to buy some btw. http://www.sa-cd.net/home REGARDS JIM3860

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860 View Post
    the reason for this petition is to show support for sacd by audiophiles. this petition is being sent to all the record labels not only sony music. perhaps if enough people sign it and show a desire to listen to sacd, other labels may take notice and release new material of there artists. which in turn will result in more albums sold. the more albums sold in turn result again in more interest by other companys. I as an audiophile strongly support any format that offers better sound. I realize that the majority of people buying albums are not buying hi res formats. primarily because the music they listen to is not available in these formats. that may change though, if we support it. as far as buying sacds I buy any album I can find that I would buy a cd of. REGARDS JIM3860
    The factors which have impeded the development of the SACD market are:
    1-People with leather ears who have opinions about it.
    2-Really cruddy analogue output sections of SACD/CD/DVD players that mask the differences between software formats.
    3-Cheap SACD players that down-convert to low res formats before D/A conversion.
    4-Failure by the SACD patent holders to license digital output of the signal so people can use hi fi outboard DA converters AND get the benefits of SACD.
    5-Issuance of SACD's whose content is derived from low-res digital formats and not analogue master tapes or DSD recordings.

It's a great format when done right, and when it's done right, I think anyone will hear the benefit of it; I hope it survives. Its survival will probably depend on boutique labels, artists who can hear the difference and insist on using it, and the Hybrid discs. And, as was said above, buying SACD's . . . and to that I would add--buying a decent player. Also, maybe try and explain it to receptive friends, which is how I learned about it.

The number of titles seems to continue to increase. Some of the early resistance probably came from audiophiles who had high-dollar commitments to the standard CD format, but as they cycle into new equipment a player for SACD is an easy option. I hope also that some of the cheap non-SACD SACD players that were probably rationalized to broaden the installed base, have begun to disappear from the market.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    1-People with leather ears who have opinions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    2-Really cruddy analogue output sections of SACD/CD/DVD players that mask the differences between software formats.

Widget

But you know, the industry itself did not really get behind SACD! They got behind DVD, and although there is more material available in SACD then there was 5 years ago, the avalibility of source material is miniscule compared to CD formats.

Not to mention the consumers, many lo-fi and mid-fi consumers just wouldnt buy another machine in yet another format. But everyone went and bought DVD players to watch movies!

And now, with the advent of cheap downloads and iPods, convenience, and price, not quality, have become the major factors in the American consumers decision making.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    no one cares if the sound has any quality or fidelity because it is listened to on small ear buds with poor resolution and poor response. What matters today is how many songs are carried at once, and low bit rates are the rule to get there.
    Do not agree. I rip CDs at 320. My little Nano stores 4 GB . Thats nearly 3 days of continuous play (if the battery made it that far).

I listen with AKG phones at home and Shure e2c's when mobile. They give darned near the sound of mid JBL's. (better than L100's)

We travel overseas nearly every year. Man, on a 23 hour trip, it is welcome. When you get to a foreign country, a little bit of familiar music is really appreciated.

Try it , you might like it. And yes, my experiences are not the general rule.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    ...no one cares if the sound has any quality or fidelity because it is listened to on small ear buds with poor resolution and poor response.
    We learned it, the kids will learn it. I remember all these broken crappy ear phones my son had. Today he has something like this little shure ear phone, there is no way back.
    But I should show him that MP3 by 320 is better, nearly no loss compared to a CD. I will start with a new SACD.
    Don't we still make improvements here and there? And I think the higher the sound quality the smaller the market is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    And I think the higher the sound quality the smaller the market is.

You hit that nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Do not agree. I rip CDs at 320. My little Nano stores 4 GB . Thats nearly 3 days of continuous play (if the battery made it that far).

I listen with AKG phones at home and Shure e2c's when mobile. They give darned near the sound of mid JBL's. (better than L100's)

We travel overseas nearly every year. Man, on a 23 hour trip, it is welcome. When you get to a foreign country, a little bit of familiar music is really appreciated.

Try it , you might like it. And yes, my experiences are not the general rule.
    Bingo! I just got my 2nd iPod and I agree - I do have a few songs at 128, but I also have a ton of stuff at 192 (generally, older CDs) and much stuff at 320. I use a set of high end Sony headphones when I listen at work. I've got a dock rigged up in my CR-V so I can feed the iPod through my car stereo on the road. I can't say I've ever used the earbuds. At those data rates I carry about 4500 songs with me - in very good fidelty, I'll add. It sure beats carrying that many CDs with me!
    With the pod I can set it to shuffle like a jukebox or my own radio station, I can create playlists that are like massive "mixtapes", and its all the music I like - no ads, no noise, no DJ prattling on and on.
    And I still have the JBLs and the records and CDs when I am home.
    What's not to like?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information