Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoever said Altec & JBL couldn't get married?...

Whoever said Altec & JBL couldn't get married?...

Here comes the bride, all dressed in....

I took a pair of JBL L100's that my dad had in his garage and I am now using them as the base for my Altec 846B's.

In his early days of eBay - my dad gutted the L100s and kept the cabinets.

When I brought them home, I was shocked to find out that they fit exactly underneath the speakers, between the risers exactly.

Just thought I would post this just in case someone else has an empty pair or has the chance to get an empty pair of L100s and has a pair of Altec 846B's and has the chance to try it.

I originally had cinder blocks, but I did not like the look. The walnut on the L100s are very close to the walnut on the Valencias. I could not be more thrilled. The bass does not lack, either...

Here are some pictures...

The small setup is with Micron speakers I picked up at an estate sale for $5.00 - they said they are made in Phoenix, Arizona on the back. Cannot find any info on them at all. However, they are great small speakers. I have them hooked up to the Altec 704 receiver that I purchased from Jack. I put that setup on the local jazz station and I fall asleep to it.

Yes, those black things are speaker stands. I used a glass piece I had from a coffee table I sold - well, I just sold the base. I knew I would have a use for it someday (had it in the garage for about a year). I have about 200 lps at the moment and enjoy listening to every single one.

I am very happy with my setup - even though most on here will tell me otherwise. However, I now have a strong backbone and if anyone wants to tell me otherwise - all I have to say is, "come on over."

-Storm.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hey Storm,don't you have that setup upside down?

What do you mean, King?

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    What do you mean, King?

-Storm.
    Just joking Storm, I'm a Jbl person and I always assume that JBL's should always be on top.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I dig it Storm...

i bet you get a bit lower due to the corner placement...

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    i bet you get a bit lower due to the corner placement...

Yes, Louped - The bass is lower in the corner than against the wall. I have tried many positions and corner placement is the best overall.

-Storm

I see all the albums, but turntable??

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    I see all the albums, but turntable??
    The turntable is on the left...on top of my desk. I also have my CD collection on that desk as well.

-Storm.

It's tough to tell from these pics- do you have the Altecs in diagonally opposite corners of the room?

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    It's tough to tell from these pics- do you have the Altecs in diagonally opposite corners of the room?

je
    Yes, each speaker is diagonally positioned so that when I am laying in my bed - I am exactly in the middle of the speakers.

Audio Nirvana...YUMM!

-Storm.

Thanks for the tip, but I do not like subwoofers. I feel they are artificial bass. Natural bass is what I am looking for. I only mentioned the bass because when I put them on cinder blocks, I lost a little bass - but on these...there is no bass loss and I am quite happy.

Thank you, but I will keep them on the stands. If you could come over and listen, you would say the same thing. Stop trying to tell me what to do even though you have NEVER listened to my system. I NEVER tell you what to do, so please stop trying to convince me to follow you - I am a leader, not a follower.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Storm,
    Just a couple of tips for you.
    FYI. Every wall is considered a boundary. When placing speakers against a boundary the expected output increase is +3db average per wall, corner = 6db plus the floor.

Second.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t=15027&page=3

I advise you put them back on the floor, and add a sub it will yield better results. You need bass reinforcement. You are headed in the wrong direction.

This little guy will do more then you can believe.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/disc...ls/rsw-10.aspx

They are all over e-bay average price NIB is around $500.00 to $600.00 free shipping retail was $1300.00. I use them all the time and there is a reason.

J/S-S1A

Thanks for the tip, but I do not like subwoofers. I feel they are artificial bass. Natural bass is what I am looking for. I only mentioned the bass because when I put them on cinder blocks, I lost a little bass - but on these...there is no bass loss and I am quite happy.

Thank you, but I will keep them on the stands. If you could come over and listen, you would say the same thing. Stop trying to tell me what to do even though you have NEVER listened to my system. I NEVER tell you what to do, so please stop trying to convince me to follow you - I am a leader, not a follower.

-Storm.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

The turntable is on the left...on top of my desk. I also have my CD collection on that desk as well.

-Storm.
    I think I remember turntables ... and what was it called ... yes, cassette decks ... and was there something called "reel to reel"?

It was a loooong time ago ... wait ... who am I? what am I doing here? ... wait! ... ok ... yesterday I know nothing ... now I do not even know yesterday ...

(Just kidding, but you all should know that)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I think I remember turntables ... and what was it called ... yes, cassette decks ... and was there something called "reel to reel"?

It was a loooong time ago ... wait ... who am I? what am I doing here? ... wait! ... ok ... yesterday I know nothing ... now I do not even know yesterday ...

(Just kidding, but you all should know that)

You forgot the dreaded 8-track.....

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    You forgot the dreaded 8-track.....
    o shit..

Thread Information