Thread: Question about Model Fifteen

Lagpunkt

Question Question about Model Fifteen

Hi all. I'm new to these forums and also to high-end stereo equipment. I recently came across a pair of Altec Model Fifteens, and I decided to really check them out. The person I bought them from said the subwoofers had been reconed, but I'm beginning to think that they might actually have been replaced. I've done alot of searching on the internet with no luck, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Here's a picture showing the back side of the sub:

While they do seem to be well built, and similar to other Altec speakers I've seen online, but I notice that they are not brand stamped or plated. I took some other pictures, here are the links:

Cabinet
    Sticker on the back of the subwoofer
    Front view

And a couple of the horn, I'm not sure about it either:
    Full view
    Stamp on back

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I suppose this really shouldn't effect my enjoyment of them, but I'd like to know if they're original. It may be moot anyway. My wife thinks they're way to big for our small house and wants them out...

Thanks!!

Smile

Hi

Most of the components found in Altecs' Home HiFi boxes omitted the foilcal which would have showed the Altec brand name on it. Certainly the horn and driver are original ( the driver is a 802-G ) . I'd bet that woofer is all Altec. Those parts codes on the back of the magnet "fit" with all the other Altec parts codes I've seen. Cosmetically, that woofer displays all the visual aspects of an Altec frame . Everything looks original to me .

regards <. Earl K

Originally posted by Earl K
    Everything looks original to me .
    As certainly does that surround on the woofer - mounted to the face of the cone on that flat edge. Vintage Altec for the period (er, is that redundant...? )

Otherwise the overall "look" to that woofer reminds of my Model Nine woofers, completely.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Having reconed a few of them myself, that's definitely an Altec woofer. Looks like it was reconed with appropriate parts, too.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Lagpunkt
    Thank you all for the swift replies. Knowing they're correct makes me feel alot better about the purchase.

Thanks again!

flyinv43
    Those look like the same part as my model 15s..out of curiousity do your high freqeuncy adjustments on your crossovers seem to do much audibly...im wondering if it is my ears or if the caps are fried...can anyone tell me the model number of the woofers in the 15..I have a 2 sets of santana IIs as well and the woofers are the same but slighly different. one set is identical to the ones in my model 15s , the other ones seem like the frames are cheaper looking and a bit smaller in ouside diamater, but the magnets and cones are identical...does anyone have any info on why yhe woofers are different

Thread Information