Thread: Question about 6260's and 2235's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Question about 6260's and 2235's

Hi Guys

Got a question. I'm thinking of using two 6260's (600W Bridged @ 8 ohms) to power my two 2235's( one 6260 for each 2235).
    The 2235's are crossed over about 84

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas about it.

Any and all comments are welcome

thanks

I've used the big and little brothers of that amp, and I can say, my guess is that that plan should kick some serious @$$, to put it technically. 600 watts, really, should be pretty ideal for a 2235, to give it plenty of amp "headroom", and make things clean as a whistle. Also, those amps have PLENTY of power supply for this kind of use- they're rated, IIRC, into even 2 ohm load operation, so strap those bad-boys, and let it rip!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Gordons got it; that's the right combo. Many in audio think that such an arrangement is overkill, but the results speak for themselves. It's not. It's just good

Niklas Nord
    600watt will be more thanm enough. well well,
    more watt´s is always better.

IMPORTANT, you have to high pass filter the subs.
    this is so they do not overload.

this way you can always play a little bit stronger with
    more confidence

Thanks guys:

I've been playing with this is my mind for some time and have considered the usual suspects ( crown etc), but for the money the 6260's seemed really good. I just haven't had experience with or heard the 6260's so I was unsure how they would handle this situation. You guys have put my doubts to rest, thanks again.

My goal was to have plenty of headroom. Usually I just take the power rating of the transducer and then double up on the amp for transients ( from reading the old JBL brochures)

well, nothing left to do, but buy 'em, wait for them to arrive and hook 'em up and listen to the wife complain . Ahhh, life is good.

Thank GOD I found this forum.

Gordon:

Thanks for the info on the amps and how they would sound. also, congrads on your score.."Elegant Gypsy". By the way, my family lives in Gainsville, GA, If I'm down there can we come by and say hi?

mikebake
    thanks for letting me know I'm not over doing it.

Niklas

Thanks, I forgot about the high pass filter ( too busy thinking about the amps)

As for overdoing it, I just always employ the notion that good woofers have good powerful motors and such motors likes to be controlled and told who is boss by the amp. "Who is driving whom?"

Tom Loizeaux
    I use both the JBL Urei 6260 and similar Crown PS-400 amps in my basement "studio". I use the 6260 as the low-end amp in a bi-amp setup, pairing it with a 6230 for the highs in the JBL amp stack. The Crown PS-400 is paired with the Crown PS-200 in the Crown amp stack. These are used to drive a variety of JBL monitor pairs. (see photo at left) I find the JBL Ureis to be slightly more powerful, but they aren't quite as quiet running or sophisticated as the Crowns.
    I find there is just enough power to push the 2231/2235s using the bi-amp mode with these amps, but I do feel a little more power (double) would be advisable for a little more headroom.

Both of these amp series are a good buy and somwhat over-looked in this day of megawatt amp hunger.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 01-17-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Tom:

One more thing I've been wondering about on the 6260 and that is the binding posts on the back for the speaker wires. Can they handle "large" gauge wire or would I have to put in newer Binding posts.

thanks

rick

Thread Information