Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: WHY SO MUCH BS BANDWIDTH?

There was a time when DIY was considered "noise," especially DIY as I practice it. Still is, by some. We had a long discussion about it on the forum, and I participated in the role of devil's advocate. There were several calls for that thread to be shut down as it progressed.
    Hello Zilch

I am not sure I agree with you on that. There was always a good sized DIY membership on this site. You missed at least 3 of the earlier forums and we always were able to balance the threads and keep them relatively focused. There is a difference to running a concise DIY thread and blogging with no clear direction or conclusion. To suggest that all DIY was considered noise is simply not true.

Hello Giskard

DIY didn't fit in my definition of the Lansing Heritage website per se although I've been heavily involved with DIY for over 30 years now; Especially with how it originally presented itself.
    That may be true but it already had a presence before you got here. It was too late, the cat was already out of the bag.

Rob

considering that jbl is no longer building the type of speakers that many here seek one would think that diy would be one of the pre-eminent threads.as the dream systems become scarce diy may well end up as the only avenue to audio nirvana

as the dream systems become scarce diy may well end up as the only avenue to audio nirvana
    Yes that's true for the older systems. As long as JBL supports the drivers with recone kits we can use cores to build up "new drivers" at reasonable prices. We can do it one driver set at a time if need be. They have their current systems as well, many of which will out perform these "dream" systems. You have to decide which way to go.

Rob

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Giskard

That may be true but it already had a presence before you got here. It was too late, the cat was already out of the bag.

Rob
    See -
    Hello Zilch

I am not sure I agree with you on that. There was always a good sized DIY membership on this site. You missed at least 3 of the earlier forums and we always were able to balance the threads and keep them relatively focused. There is a difference to running a concise DIY thread and blogging with no clear direction or conclusion. To suggest that all DIY was considered noise is simply not true.
    Agreed. It was being handled correctly. A TON of work went into all that.

KJ i just want you to understand my rant was never intended for anyone person or in particular you. And I do love the Cards-Cubs series! I knew you were a Cubs fan. This year you are loading your team up. It will be great watching the games and LISTENING TO THEM ON MY JBLS!

There is a difference to running a concise DIY thread and blogging with no clear direction or conclusion. To suggest that all DIY was considered noise is simply not true.
    Well, part of that is unfair. The direction has been clear from the onset.

[I've wandered and stumbled a bit here and there, is all.... ]

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Well, part of that is unfair. The direction has been clear from the onset.

It has? I missed it in all the excitement. What was the direction?

Seriously though, it hasn't been just you and not everyone can be John or Rick. There have been other well done DIY's but their names escape me at the moment. My sincere apologies!

The direction has been clear from the onset.
    Hmmm... from my perspective I have seen some underlying themes in all of your work, and your willingness to help others on the forum is quite commendable, but I would be hard pressed to point to the initial or current direction of your threads/work.

I can certainly relate to that! While I have been involved in a few other projects along the way I have spent a bit over two years working on and refining one design. It is almost ready for primetime.

Widget

Well haven't we all!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Maybe there could be a special, secret area where only the veteran, smart people can go. Anyone who signed up after 2003 would automatically be locked out unless one of the gifted ones invited him or her in. Then that person would be on probation for three years, and if he or she stepped out of line or posted something the keepers didn't like, the novice would get kicked back out into the dog yard with the rest of us, where we could snarl and snap at the loser like the growling, barking dogs we are.

Most of this can be accomplished via PM right now, but it kind of defeats the main purpose of a forum, which is to get your thoughts, ideas, and information posted so people can see it. This way you can show how much smarter you are, how much more you know, and how much more experience you have. That's a win for everybody!

It sucks though when your brilliance is dimmed by the flying fur, barking, vomiting, urine, and excrement of dogs that are tracking all over your brilliance. Darn dogs! Leash 'em! Muzzle 'em! Put 'em in cages! Put 'em down!

Where's my gun? Oh, WOOF! Dogs don't have guns.
    Yes I know I quote the entire post. Only because I can lay claim to every word as a matter of public and well private record.

I think diy can be taken too seriously and at the other extreme an endless blogg of tinkering.

This seems to happen on this forum particularly when a lot of the prime data is held by a priviliged few and the masses have to start from scratch. Fortunately is lot of data is now in read only form and there is no reason why someone cannot get a reasonable result using an existing design.

I am not sure that going for broke on SOA drivers is a credible approach to creating a dream system. The scale of expertise, resources and experience required is generally well beyond what an individual is capable of or can tap into.

The exception being to clone a recent JBL consumer design but even that has some extreme difficulties not to mention the expense.

If what you want diy hifi exercise you will get a better result with a cone system than a horn system. If you count Be is being the only worthy material for prinstine audio reproduction in compression driver technology then that really narrows down the objectivity of diy in JBL. Unfortunately there is only a scant selection of cone and direct dome radiators available for previously JBL systems.

That narrows down the options even further if you want to push the envelop and this is starting to be a trend on around here.

Hence I have a pet project on the agenda to use an ATC dome mid and a Scan Revelator tweeter in place of horn and slot in the 4345. Someone has already done a lot of the hard yards on the design front so its low risk upgrade. No it won't be pure JBL and frankly I dont see how it can be unless JBL decide to re issue the design with current SOA drivers. If someone can pursuade me with a seriously good JBL solution I would be glad to hear from them.

Back to the point if on the other hand you want a loud (noise) system then there are numerous options and almost anything goes. On those terms it your own project and it can be anything you want it to be. Just dont call it a JBL monitor or say too loudly its the best system on the planet. Odds are it won't be and we have seen mixed responses where vistors impressions of members systems have ruffled some feathers. ~

Exercise care when you are invited to hear someones creation!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Exercise care when you are invited to hear someones creation!
    It's probably best to decline the invite.

It's probably best to decline the invite.
    Now where's the fun in that

Rob

Obsolete
    Now where's the fun in that
    I think you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    KJ i just want you to understand my rant was never intended for anyone person or in particular you. And I do love the Cards-Cubs series! I knew you were a Cubs fan. This year you are loading your team up. It will be great watching the games and LISTENING TO THEM ON MY JBLS!
    Yes, I do like those Cubs and cards series.Now if only you could get the cards to win more often.

Hell, I only stay mad for 5 minutes at a time and then it's fun as usual. Too old to hold grudge's for any lenght of time.

I figured out that you were just generalizing and took no offense.

But like you said I should have labeled that thread Infinity's that way people could use their own judgement on whether or not they want to read it.

nt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information