Thread: Different Horn With L300 Equivalent Bandpass Crossover

Different Horn With L300 Equivalent Bandpass Crossover

I've been planning to use Giskards Equivalent Bandpass crossover for L300's, given here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ndpass+circuit

for use with my LE85's in a rework of a pair of CF150's. I'm using 2402-05H's for the HF drivers.

I was building up my order to P.E. for the parts when it struck me, I have a 2370A horn on my LE85's, not the HL92 or 2312/2308. How applicable or not is this crossover for use with 2370A's on LE85's? This is for use in my home stereo system. I've been trying to research the idiosyncracies of the L300 X-over, and am still plodding my way through the many threads and posts I find in this forum on L300's and LE85's.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

Build it and try it. It'll likely work fine.

Here's LE85s on 2370A.

Compare to results from last November:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...084#post135084

[OMG!! ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks much Zilch, I of course recall and reference your postings of the FR and impedance curves I asked about in November as you point out. I had no idea what filter you used while running those curves, if that is correct. I'll go back and look but I don't recall any being mentioned at that time .

A filter or two was mentioned in that thread, but there was some dissent among some forum members regarding the use of them with my parts, which is what caused my apparent confusion I also thought there might be some corrective elements in Giskard's filter and the original that would be useless or worse with the 2370A horn. Sorry and thanks

No problem. I wanted to confirm the findings with LE85 on 2370A given the different results I'm getting with 2425/6 in the aftermarket diaphragm thread.

I used no filter in taking those measurements last year, other than a big capacitor to protect the drivers.

Where I showed it used two-way, I used a bit of boost in the VHF to counteract the rolloff at the top, is all. You're doing three-way, so that does not apply.

At a certain point, you've just got to build and try it. Whatever subtleties are in the design may or may not work to your advantage. Looking at the 2370A curves in comparison to 2312, I'd say you're good to go.

Get it running, and then decide if there's improvements warranted later. You'll never get there trying to anticipate every contingency in advance....

Yep, good advise. Looks like a bad time to be buying inductors, with copper prices being up, just my luck! That is, with anything larger than 18 gauge wire.

Thread Information