Thread: SE408S Transducer Energizer Failing

dougzilla

Question SE408S Transducer Energizer Failing

I am original owner of v 1969 Lancer 99 speaker system with the enclosed SE408S Transducer Energizer. After 34+ years of faithful service (other than replacing some bias adjustment trim pots, as I recall), the amp has developed an annoying AC hum even with shorted inputs and makes unpleasant crackling noises when input is moderately high.

I love this old thing and want to get it fixed, right. No longer have an oscilloscope, so cant do much testing. I suspect the power supply filter caps, but not sure.

1) Where can I find a circuit diagram and/or service guide/bulletins. I've searched the LH web site without success.

2) Who does good repair work in the Bay Area of California?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

dougzilla

Update on SE408S

I have found the circuit diagram I was looking for and the compete service manual, at this website, maintained by JBL http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...ectronics.html

There are lots of old diagrams and manuals there, including one for my SG520 preamp.

Also, following the advice of Mr. Widget, I have taken the SE408 to The Sound Well in Berkeley for repair, with a printout of the manual. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Doug(zilla)

dougzilla

Thumbs up Successful repair

It was the big filter caps, as I suspected.

The Sound Well replaced all four (with over-spec units, but not lookalikes) and all is well. Total tab was $200 including $80 for the caps. Smooth, clean and silent when it should be. Tested THD 'okay' at 50W/ch which is 10 over nameplate power.

Rafael
    dougzilla,

the equalizer boards installed in the 408-s have several numbers for different speaker systems. I couldnīt find out what number stays for what speaker. Maybe you can help me. The se 408īs are very fine amps, i wonder why the idea of fine tuning a system with EQ cards in the amps was not a broader success.

Rafael

dougzilla

EQ Boards for Different Systems

That's right, the SE408S manual shows poor quality pictures of 16 different versions, but I've never been able to determine which ones were designed for systems other than the L99, nor can I find schematics. JBL did state in its catalogues that the amp could be ordered in the internal mount version with their various system/enclosure combinations, optimized for each one.

I wish I could get more info, since I am considering building some larger cabinets and converting to an LE14a + horn + super-tweeter config, but I would like to keep using the SE408S, optimized for those components. I realize I can go to 'flat' operation merely by flipping the boards I have around to use the contacts on the opposite end, but the optimization posibilities are intriguing.

Anybody have more info???

Any info on replacement transistors for Jbl se408s?

Thread Information