Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha C-4 info needed.

Question Yamaha C-4 info needed.

was looking to replace my Hafler dh-101 pre amp with something better. ended up trading a couple of TT's for a yammy C-4. I know very little about it and cant find much on the web. Anybody have one of these ? opinions ? access to manuals ? etc. ?

sure is heavy. powers up, needs lights , will connect tomorrow.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-C-4-Stere...QQcmdZViewItem

Yamaha Natural Sound control amp (pre amp) C-4

The C-4 features are ideal for the vinyl lovers. You can hook up 3 turntables to this at one time. On the face of the pre amp there is a phono input selector switch which allows you to adjust the cartridge load on phono 1 and 2. Phono 3 input is designated just for a moving coil cartridge. You can also connect 2 different amps thru the pre out connections on the back. With the 2 inputs for tape, you can have a reel to reel and a cassette deck! Connections on the back are for phono 1, 2 & 3, tuner, aux, tape 1 & 2, pre out 1 & 2 and voltage selector.

Made in 1979-82, this unit sold new for $570.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS-series...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps, J/S-S1A

NO AFIL:

thanx grumpy and SA. it works fine, dont need schematics. need the owners manual, tho slowly starting to figure it out.

ran a portable CD in and plugged in phones....sounds pretty good, had to re-align some knobs, opened it up, lights are going to be hard to get to, tho not really so important. there are only 3 . maybe a later proj.

it seems to have a lot of power o/p for a pre ? ran the phones up pretty loud. seems quality construction. can't be much worse than the basic Hafler.

It does have bass and treble "turnover points", which I havnt had b4. and runs 3 tt's, too bad I don't use my Dual DD 701 anymore.

I found specs...wish my German was better..

• Yamaha C-4 Vorverstärker
      Baujahre: 1979-1981
      Leistungsaufnahme: 50 Watt
      Abmessungen: 43,5x11,6x37,6cm
      Gewicht: 8,7 Kg
      Neupreis ca.: 1200,- DM
      Anzahl der Eingänge: 2x Phono MM 1x Phono MC 2x Tape Tuner, Aux
      Anzahl der Ausgänge: 2x Pre-Out 2x Rec-Out 1x Kopfhörer
      Eingang (Empfindlichkeit/Impedanz) Phono MM 2,5 mV/100 Ohm/33 KOhm/47 KOhm/68 KOhm/100 KOhm Tape, Tuner, Aux 150mV/47 KOhm
      Ausgang (Pegel/Impedanz) Pre-Out 2V/600 Ohm Rec-Out 150mV/180 Ohm
      Bass: ± 10dB
      Höhen: ± 10dB
      Direct/Line-Straight: Tone-Bypass
      Brummspannungsabstand (kurzgeschlossen): 106 dB
      Stereokanaltrennung: 85 dB
      Low- und High-Filter Record-Selector getrennter Lautstärkeregler für den Kopfhörerausgang Mono/Stereo/Stereo verkehrt schaltbar Pre-Outs getrennt abschaltbar Kapazität und Impedanz der Phono-MM Eingänge anpassbar.

of course, I couldnt find the manual anywhere, until I went to Yam Japan site and there it is. Why dont they use the USA area ? 2EZ , I guess....

got the C-4 in today. Of course while the back o' da rack was open, much other housekeeping to do.
    seems to have been worth it. The Yammy sound is a little warmer than the Haf and maybe more detail ?? (maybe just a "wishin for..so it be" type deal) ?? A little more foreward ?

darned thing is 2X the real estate size of the old Haf...lots of rearranging...

the art of the deal ....two $5 turntables to a guy who needed them, but didn't need a pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is a computer generated translation, far better than I could do but not perfect. Somewhat useful and worth a chuckle. Done by:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Yamaha C-4 preamplifier of years of construction: 1979-1981 capacity: 50 Watts of dimensions: 43,5x11,6x37,6cm weight: 8.7 kg ex-factory price approx.: 1200, - DM number of entrances: 2x Phono mm 1x Phono MC 2x Tape tuner, Aux number of exits: 2x Pre Out 2x Rec Out 1x headphone entrance (sensitivity/impedance) Phono mm of 2.5 mV/100 Ohm/33 KOhm/47 KOhm/68 KOhm/100 KOhm Tape, tuner, Aux 150mV/47 KOhm exit (level/impedance) Pre Out 2V/600 ohm of Rec Out 150mV/180 ohm bass: ± 10dB heights: ± 10dB Direct/Line Straight: Clay/tone bypass ripple voltage distance (short circuit): 106 railways Stereokanaltrennung: 85 railways Low and High filter record Selector of separate volume controls for the headphone exit Mono/Stereo/Stereo adjustably Pre Outs operates separately disconnectible capacity and impedance of the Phono mm of entrances adaptable.

This may create more questions than it answers

Quote Originally Posted by coherent_guy View Post
    Clay/tone bypass ripple voltage distance
    this is one parameter that I always worry about.

Look like a nice clean piece of gear. Yamaha has always built some of the best quality gear. In the 70's and 80's some of their separates were the best in build quality and sound quality. The new RX-V and RX-Z series receivers of today are most definitely some of the best signal processors ava. The Z-9 receiver retails for $4500.00 as the flag ship, and that it is. As you can tell I'm a little partial to Yamaha. Love the stuff. Good luck with that piece.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...1&CTID=5000300

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    this is one parameter that I always worry about.
    Yup. . . hey, are your entrances adaptable?

Nice amp of pre Stereokanaltrennung. . . Computers haven't replaced us yet!

. . . no really, and certainly not of the "less is more" philosophy common today. All quiet on the potentiometer front? Three phono inputs and no TT? You need a good (?) BSR with an Empire cartridge, or two!!

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    The Z-9 receiver retails for $4500.00 as the flag ship, and that it is. Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    I'd trade 3 TTs for THAT !!! WOW

. All quiet on the potentiometer front? Three phono inputs and no TT? You need a good (?) BSR with an Empire cartridge, or two!!

Pots are good, sound is excellent, 3 lites are out. opened the case, the circuit boards are ON TOP. It looks like you get to things from the BOTTOM. weird !! wonder how thats gonna play with air flow/heat dissapation ?

anyway,,,, mates in pretty well with my BGW 250d

BSR ? you must be physic ? one of the tt's I traded was a BSR Quanta - with ADC cart. really nice for a belt drive , had strobe and adjustable speed, was rock solid on 33.3 according to strobe. The other was a Technics SL-5 , clamshell with radial arm, you could skip tracks and position arms with remote switches. Nice , too.

OOOhhhh, a Technics Close-and-Play! I have one of those from my yout'. Still plays, you can get a moving coil P-Mount cartridge from Needle Doctor!!

What do you mean the BSR was nice for a belt drive TT? Don't you know belt drive is the only acceptable manner of drive in the High End? ALL direct drive is dreck! I'm stone serious! My bud had a Dual 701 DD with Shure V15 III, we thought it was mighty fine, (on L65's) but what did we know?!?!?

I'll betcha a bottom panel comes off your Yamaha. The upside down circuit board promotes a constant thermal environment once it warms up (the board bakes at the same temperature all over). Heat should not be a problem for a preamp unless it runs in class A with larger transistors and no heat sinks.

They don't build 'em like that Yamaha anymore. . . well, yeah they do, but they cost as much as your first car. (I found the paper work from my dad's '65 Pontiac Catalina, four door, 389CI V8, $3,400) (yeah 1965 $, so what!!)

Then again there is my Krell pre whose voltage regulators run in class A, TO3's on small heat sinks and are to hot to touch. No power switch on that puppy, runs like that all the time.......... had it for years, no problem

Don't you know belt drive is the only acceptable manner of drive in the High End? ALL direct drive is dreck!

They don't build 'em like that Yamaha anymore. . . well, yeah they do, but they cost as much as your first car. (I found the paper work from my dad's '65 Pontiac Catalina, four door, 389CI V8, $3,400) (yeah 1965 $, so what!!)
    well, in that case , I have 3 or 4 AR Xa/b's that I need to sell, and 4 or 5 Duals. ALL belts drives.

$21,718.63 in the year 2006 has the same "purchase power" as $3400 in the year 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

$21,718.63 in the year 2006 has the same "purchase power" as $3400 in the year 1965.
    Well, then that $60K price tag for those new JBL's is not so bad after all!!

I told him he should of bought the GTO anyway. . .

majick47

Yamaha C4

You will be very happy with the C4. I have a couple of the older Yamaha preamps (CX800 & CX2000) and they sound very nice, solid construction, reliable and well built with quality parts. The Yamaha amps from the 80s are also an excellent match M2, M4, M80, M85, MX1000 etc. Also the pro amps PC2002 etc.

Thread Information