Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: amplifier advice sought

amplifier advice sought

im interested in hearing any input for short term and long range power for my wilsons.i currently own an audio research sp6a pre and a bryston 4b.there is a krell fpb 300 here but i have been advised by one of the guys to wait for a 600.there is ,i read that a potential problem with direct coupled pre's and krells exists that caused more than a few to blow up.i cannot buy a new amp and a new pre at once. there is a pair of pass labs 600 mono blocs out there that look interesting.any ideas............................the price range is around 4 5 k us used

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....ran&1174184674

NO AFIL:

I'm a huge Nelson Pass fan starting from the Nakamichi era. If this is what you looking for I think they would do everything you want and more. I also believe the new Pass Labs gear is some of the best equipment made to date. If I could afford it I would. I'm still using Nakamichi, and Adcom, and I'm loving the sound and the design quality everyday. Good luck with your decision. I believe this is a step towards never needing to make another choice ever!

P.S. Nelson went from Nakamichi to Adcom so I stayed with the builder from an engineering standpoint. (Excellent)
    Running One, Nakamichi PA7-AII in my two channel room.
    Running Three, Adcom GFA-5802's in the Home Theater Room.

J/S-S1A

Funny how amps are such a personal thing. Might the store where you bought the
    Wilsons from have thoughts/recommendations (even if not from them... thinking they've
    likely made their profit and probably have had any number of likely candidates hooked
    up)?

...or since you now own one of David W's children, that the mfg -might- be willing to
    offer some insight (e.g., what they ran them with for development?)

Only Wilson's I've spent any time listening to were -much- smaller...
    in fact they were Tiny ... AR/tube powered and made some very pleasant noise.

-grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Funny how amps are such a personal thing. Might the store where you bought the
    Wilsons from have thoughts/recommendations (even if not from them... thinking they've
    likely made their profit and probably have had any number of likely candidates hooked
    up)?

...or since you now own one of David W's children, that the mfg -might- be willing to
    offer some insight (e.g., what they ran them with for development?)

-grumpy
    Those are good suggestions. Both the dealer and the manufacturer will have very good working knowledge of what amps, and how much power, makes these speakers sing.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Those are good suggestions. Both the dealer and the manufacturer will have very good working knowledge of what amps, and how much power, makes these speakers sing.
    the dealer has the krell 300 on consignment and its local.so no shipping cost.the guy who owns the amp just upgraded to a krell 600.i just dont know if the 300 is the one but from what ive heard about krell they are built to last.are the pass labs in the same league?are ther e andy others that would suit for the same money.we dont have a lot of shops with this kind of gear to demo and we are a long way from anywhere that does.the pre amp thing is a concern as well

You would have to take the amp home, and listen to it on your speakers in your room, and for a week or so. Then you would know if its for you. Youll know.

However, that the dealer recommends waiting for a 600 to show up, and there is an issue with the 300, maybe they are telling you something?

But, if you can get that amp they have right now, on audition loan, thats the only way to know for sure.
    scottyj

no the dealer wants to sell me the 300 and one of the members here says wait (pm)i can ask for a home audition but id be surprised if they gave it to me.they really have nothing else comparable except new and i doubt if they would even open the box of one of those.the cost of stock up here makes keeping large inventories impractical.the first time i walked into a musical inst store in utah i couldnt believe how much there was on display.i think theres a tax difference that allows for us stores to carry inventory that most canuck retailers can only dream of
    Last edited by jim campbell; 03-07-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: unpractical...what was i thinking....d'oh

OK, I see where this is at!

I would call Wilson. They will be more than happy to make a recommendation that they truly believe in.

As for the dealers recommendation, Im sure the 300 probably does work on those speakers well, but, you still gotta try it on your speakers and see how it sounds.

You say you have a Bryston 4B? Have you tried that amp? Im not a Bryston freak, but that is a ballsy amp, and can deliver high current to the speakers, ( Makes good bass ) and might get you by in the interim?

Make arrangements, or try to, to get that Krell in your house for an in home audition.
    scottyj

Jim,
    Few more thoughts from me. Here is a review on the Adcom GFA-5802, this amp is no longer in production, and the last retail pricing on it was $2500.00. This amp was compared directly to Mac, and Krell back in 2000, and held its own. Personally I would not own a Krell I think they are over rated for what you get. (my opinion) The GFA-5802 just went out of production just two months ago, and is and always been highly sought after before and since the discontinue. Used prices on these have gone up considerably, and are hard to come by at the moment. This amp will do over 500 a channel into 4ohms and the build quality along with sonic quality is very pleasing, and impressive from all aspects. This might be a direction you want to look at, it is considered an Audiophile grade amplifier. If you lived closer I would let you borrow one to try out. If you have any questions on them or how I like mine feel free to pm.

J/S-S1A

http://www.avrev.com/equip/adcom5802/index.html
    http://www.adcom.com/prod/shopdispla...=0&prodid=1151

The Adcom, the Krell 300iL amplifier section and the McIntosh Laboratories MC602 are all extremely good and have ample power for just about anything short of running the public address system at your local football stadium. The Krell is very sharp and clinical, accurate but slightly cold. On the other side, the McIntosh is still accurate, but not as sharp and its tonal balance yet is warmer, reminiscent of tubes. The Adcom falls between these two, slightly closer to the McIntosh with its laid-back character. The Adcom’s midrange is not quite as warm and "tubey" as the McIntosh, but it definitely leans that way.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    OK, I see where this is at!

I would call Wilson. They will be more than happy to make a recommendation that they truly believe in.

As for the dealers recommendation, Im sure the 300 probably does work on those speakers well, but, you still gotta try it on your speakers and see how it sounds.

You say you have a Bryston 4B? Have you tried that amp? Im not a Bryston freak, but that is a ballsy amp, and can deliver high current to the speakers, ( Makes good bass ) and might get you by in the interim?

Make arrangements, or try to, to get that Krell in your house for an in home audition.
    I have Bryston 7B ST's and have thought of "upgrading" to Krell 600's or maybe Levinsons. I have no reason to do it. The real thing that keeps stopping me is that my Brystons run cool with a difficult load (B&W N801's) and Krells run very hot.

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner View Post
    I have Bryston 7B ST's and have thought of "upgrading" to Krell 600's or maybe Levinsons. I have no reason to do it. The real thing that keeps stopping me is that my Brystons run cool with a difficult load (B&W N801's) and Krells run very hot.
    Brystons are VERY well made, and can handle just about any load.

I have heard Krell, but only once, and on Maggies. The guy who has these speakers owns a Mc, and that sounds really good on those speakers. I refrain from making a recommendation, other than to try it and see what it sounds like, etc, because I dont have enough experience with Wilson speakers, I dont know Jims listening tastes, etc.

But, I do know you take the amp home for a week, that will tell you what you need to know, !

I also know that talking to the manufacturer will get you proper and trustworthy answers too. Afterall, Wilson is a prestigious manufacturer and they want you to be satisfied with their speakers. And a happy customer will speak highly of the brand, and word of mouth from happy users is always great publicity and advertising. Not to mention Im sure Wilson really knows what will make their speakers tick, the SPECTACULAR WAY!

scottyj

For the business you gave the dealer and the investment you made in speakers from his showroom floor, I find it unthinkable that he wouldn't quickly and willingly let you take the 300 home for an audition.

You're not a casual shopper, looking for a free audition on something you'll never buy. You're a confirmed and valued customer who paid a lot for some fine equipment who would like to spend even more money to protect that investment.

If the dealer can't see that, he's a moron.

You can show him my post if you'd like. He'd never get another penny from me with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    For the business you gave the dealer and the investment you made in speakers from his showroom floor, I find it unthinkable that he wouldn't quickly and willingly let you take the 300 home for an audition.

You're not a casual shopper, looking for a free audition on something you'll never buy. You're a confirmed and valued customer who paid a lot for some fine equipment who would like to spend even more money to protect that investment.

If the dealer can't see that, he's a moron.

You can show him my post if you'd like. He'd never get another penny from me with that attitude.
    Well, yeah, I agree, the dealer should allow Jim to audition the Krell on his speakers in his house. Especially to make the sale, say-so just isnt good enough at this level of price range!

Matter of fact, the dealer should cart the amp to Jims house, set it up, and demo it personally. If its that good, it will sell itself.

I think I might leave out " the dealer is a moron " part, though!
    scottyj

greg`s amp

http://www.diyhifi.org/amplifierguru/guru_001.htm

yup
    Im still in love with it
    Amazing sound
    It`s more than the sum of it`s parts
    And you could build a shit load of them for the price of a commercial unit.
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Old Fortune article on Wilsons....very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    im interested in hearing any input for short term and long range power for my wilsons.i currently own an audio research sp6a pre and a bryston 4b.there is a krell fpb 300 here but i have been advised by one of the guys to wait for a 600.there is ,i read that a potential problem with direct coupled pre's and krells exists that caused more than a few to blow up.i cannot buy a new amp and a new pre at once. there is a pair of pass labs 600 mono blocs out there that look interesting.any ideas............................the price range is around 4 5 k us used
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/f...7339/index.htm

Thread Information