Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL Sessions LP and Discussions with JBL

There was some sort of law change regarding recorded material around 1970. There was a business of selling cassette copies of popular music and the only fees that had to be paid were the royalties to the publishing company that owned the music. The people who made the record that was copied were sol then the law changed.

And then there is this .....

How long does a copyright last?
    The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Do I have to renew my copyright?
    No. Works created on or after January 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal registration. As to works published or registered prior to January 1, 1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal application as well as the legal benefit for doing so
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I'll bet that the copyright doesn't last as long as the earworm from the song
    "Devil on my shoulder" has/will. It has been playing in the back of my head for
    30 or so years so far, since the last time I heard that record.

I did not get any wiser of this. Will JBL make Cd's of this ... or not? If not what can be done so we can get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I did not get any wiser of this. Will JBL make Cd's of this ... or not? If not what can be done so we can get it?
    It sounds like JBL no longer has copyrights for the material they had limited rights to use back in the 70s (70s?) - and that they have no way to provide such material at this point in time.

Now, I didn't recommend such a thing, of course, but, for personal use, you could probably make a CD copy from your album. If you were to TRADE them
    NOT FOR PROFIT (e.g, not to sell or exchange money for them), while it might not be legal, it might be something that doesn't get prosecuted.

If you were to do such a thing you would probably not want to publicise or it involve the Lansing forum in any way.

Just a thought ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    It sounds like JBL no longer has copyrights for the material they had limited rights to use back in the 70s (70s?) - and that they have no way to provide such material at this point in time.

Now, I didn't recommend such a thing, of course, but, for personal use, you could probably make a CD copy from your album. If you were to TRADE them
    NOT FOR PROFIT (e.g, not to sell or exchange money for them), while it might not be legal, it might be something that doesn't get prosecuted.

If you were to do such a thing you would probably not want to publicise or it involve the Lansing forum in any way.

Just a thought ...
    OK. The thing is that I do not have the vinyl album. I had it many years ago, and would like a copy on a CD. Can anybody help?

PS. The copy should be from an album that does not have all the signs of a "well played" album.

Sessions on cd

Years ago, Drew Daniels sent me a project he was working on....the cd issue of sessions. It is a 2 disc set with 27 songs on cd 1 and 20 tracks on cd 2.

Quote Originally Posted by afriqueart View Post
    Years ago, Drew Daniels sent me a project he was working on....the cd issue of sessions. It is a 2 disc set with 27 songs on cd 1 and 20 tracks on cd 2.
    Sign me up for a dupe!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I don't understand why anyone goes on about that album.

It's studio chatter , frequency sweeps , instrument sounds and a few
    songs. Once through it is quite enough.

IF it was put out by someone other than JBL, wud be totally ignored.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I don't understand why anyone goes on about that album.

It's studio chatter , frequency sweeps , instrument sounds and a few
    songs. Once through it is quite enough.

IF it was put out by someone other than JBL, wud be totally ignored.
    Never heard of it before joining this group. Haven't ever heard it. A duplicate CD should not be a huge investment. Maybe I will only play it once. I'll never know until I try it!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Let us know how making duplicates works ...
    and when you have some available.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

here is a link to my post on selling the Sessions records ... shows track listings

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=sessions+fs

I have the vinyl edition, there's no need to spend a lot of work in finding this.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Have found that I have another copy - 2 Lp's & booklet.

Anybody interested in acquiring, PM me.

Mint sealed copy, 2 LP Set

Discogs is your friend... 83 instances of the 1973 release listed for sale

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sessions/master/563290

Thread Information